50" Samsung pn50a510p3fxza Plasma - Red Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" Samsung pn50a510p3fxza Plasma - Red Screen

I've picked up a freebie Samsung pn50a510p3fxza off of craigslist that I'd like to try and resuscitate. It was known to have blown chips on the Y Sustain board. When I pulled the back off of the set, sure enough 2 of the square chips on the Y sustain upper were melted, obviously blown in what looks like a pretty catastrophic event. Original owner described smoke, and I believe him.

Since this was a known issue, I didn't try to power on the set when I first received it (assuming there'd be no picture). I've gotten a replacement remote and upper and lower Y sustain boards off of ebay (ShopJimmy was out of stock). With the y-boards installed, the set starts right up (plays a little jingle sound, and some blue and green random pixels flash during startup). After "boot-up" is complete audio sounds fine (from either an antenna connection or an HDMI Blu-ray player) but the picture is heavily red and white "sparkly" throughout and unwatchable from both sources. I can't even really make out the writing on the menus that come up. There is also a single solid horizontal black line horizontally across the display.

Unfortunately I don't know what things looked like with the old components (although I guess I could put them back in), so don't know if these replacement boards are good. I'm wondering if there was other (hidden) damage done by the catastrophic failure of the sustain/buffer chips.

I left the set to run for a couple of hours. There weren't any power cycling issues, and the picture stayed the same. I tried a "factory reset" sequence using the remote and that had no impact on the image quality either, although it does appear (as best as I can tell) to have reset the TV, prompting for language and other setup criteria when turning on the set.

I've checked Vs and Ve and they're both at spec according to the sticker. I've reseated all the cables I can get to and it hasn't made any difference to the picture. All the glass fuses check out (0 resistance). I don't see any obviously blown caps or other gross problems. I haven't done an exhaustive search for bad solder joints, but again nothing is leaping out at me. There are 2 green LED's that blink in sync on about a one second on, one second off cycle on the central board on the back of the set. There's also a single LED on constantly on a little circuit board that juts out at 90 degrees off the main power supply. I don't see any other visual indicators from the back of the set.

Most of the online stuff I've found centers on power supply issues, but I'm not experiencing startup delays or shut-downs, just the really red picture.

I've got a decent digital multi-meter and an older analog oscilloscope with a 10x probe, and experience with soldering, so I'm willing to dive in and try some component-level investigation and replacement, but I'm not sure where to start. This is a hobby project - we've got other sets in the house that work fine. I don't want to play board replacement roulette at $25-$100+ per pop, when a few dollars in components may do the trick.

I'll try to get some photos uploaded after work today so that you can see the actual picture.

Any suggestions as to what my next steps should be are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ttraband; 02-19-2018, 10:18 AM. Reason: add model to thread title

Re: 50" Samsung pn50a510p3fxza Plasma - Red Screen

Can you post a picture of the screen? You replaced the upper and lower buffer boards only. There may still be a problem with the Y sustain.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry that I got the board names crossed. I'll post pictures after work, or maybe at lunch if I can run home.

Comment

Ok. Sometimes on these earlier models there are some diodes that sometimes go short When a buffer board goes up in smoke.

It could also be a problem with the X sustain too

Comment

Here are photos. Let me know if others would be helpful.

First is during power-up, mostly black screen with bands of blue/green pixels. (Sorry for the reflection of me and our family room)

Second is "normal" with no input. The antenna connection and blu-ray are back in their regular homes, but this is representative of what they looked like.

Third is with menu displayed.

Fourth is blown chip on buffer. On the upper buffer board, the third from the top, and the bottom-most chip were both melted like this one. None of the bottom buffer board chips shows visible damage.

Fifth is board info for the Y sustain.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok now run just the top buffer connected to the Y board only. If same result, run lower only.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I just want to be sure I'm understanding the instruction.
              When you say "top buffer connected to Y board only" do you mean I should remove the lower Y buffer board completely? I'm assuming I leave the ribbon cables connected to the upper buffer board when running this test.

Comment

You can leave the ribbons connected to the panel but have the buffer hanging loose.

This will tell if one of the Buffers you received its still be badd loading down VSCAN. I just worked on a Samsung last night where the lower buffer was shorted but preliminary homes check showed all ICs to be OK. But when I went against ground and the voltage or VIN, it was shorted and I check that by testing against the blue capacitors on the buffer board and found that they were shorted
                Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-20-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I'll try this out tonight and post my results.

I realize that this is the next step (after isolating the buffer boards), so for the blue capacitors, do I just check continuity through their leads to see if they're shorted, or am I looking for continuity between them and ground?

Comment

Against both legs for continuity. 370k ohm thereabouts is normal anything underneath that is bad

Comment

Swapped the buffer boards last night and got the same red pattern, only for half the screen at a time, but didn't have time to test the blue capacitors. I'll take a photo of the Y sustain board tonight and annotate it with the capacitor readings.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

On back of the the Mainboard, C102 (may or may not be marked) has been known to cause all kinds of picture distortion in the "A" model of both the LCD and plasma models.
                        Search the forum for "C102".
                        Last edited by cliff_hootarski; 02-21-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Buffer boards are probably ok. Are you getting good VE voltage off x sustain? Should be around 70 or so vdc.

Comment

Sorry, life got complicated last night and I didn't get the testing done. I'll try again tonight.

I don't recall the reading off the top of my head, but I did test Ve on the X board and it matched the label.

I've seen the C102 threads. It seemed like most of them dealt with power cycling issues, but I'll take another look at the threads.

Comment

This is not a main board issue. C102 usually causes power cycling and sometimes video issues. This is definitely a y sustain problem. Main boards will not cause maldischarge When you get powered up check VSCAN on y sustain. That wine that you see in the screen is either a bad buffer board or a bad panel issue still. You could always try reseating the ribbon connections on the buffers to panel.
                              Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

No time last night either. Should get some time this afternoon and evening. How long should the set "warm up" before measuring/adjusting the various voltages? Is there a particular part that should get to a steady temp? I've been looking for an excuse to put the IR thermometer I got for Christmas to good use.

Thanks again!

Comment

Okay. Tried to get some measurements tonight, and realized I wasn't sure which blue capacitors I was to be testing, on the big Y board or on the buffers. Re-reading your instructions, it looked like the ones on the buffers, so that's what I've measured, with power to the TV disconnected.

The larger blue capacitors (outlined in blue in attached images) on the buffers all read around 670K ohms. (I re-checked these after the mistake below and they hadn't changed). Smaller ones (outlined in green) read about 4K ohm.

I also wanted to re-check the other voltage values, and I made a careless mistake. While the set was on, the positive test lead brushed up against what looks kind of like a staple coming up out of the lower buffer board marked "CN5510" on one edge and "CN5509" on the other (outlined in red in attached images) and there was a spark. This caused another black line in the bottom half of the screen with a yellow band above it, which isn't too big a deal as I have a spare lower board (the upper and lower came as a pair, and it was my upper that had the blown chips). Putting in the alternate board cleared the new lines, but the original black horizontal line is still there.

What I'm afraid is the bigger issue is that now Vs is "falling." It is supposed to be 205 V according to the sticker, but when measuring the test point it reads about 185 then drops almost immediately to 0. I remember this being good when I did my first round of voltage checks (I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered this behavior), so I'm guessing the sparks indicated some other damage done. I don't see any obviously blown caps, and all fuses still check out (have continuity). Vs still drops even when power and signal for X sustain, Y sustain and the boards across the bottom of the screen are disconnected. I did not attempt to disconnect the logic or main board (with antenna and HDMI/input connections) as I wasn't sure how to get the set to turn on with those undone.

Here are the current voltage test point readings:
                                  Va = 57V steady, as indicated on the sticker.
                                  Vsc = -195.5 but drops about .1 v per second (-195V after 5 seconds) as long as the probe is touching the test point, jumps back to 195.5 as soon as the probe is removed and put back; sticker indicates -200
                                  Vs = 195V, drops to 0 immediately; sticker indicates 205.
                                  Ve = 92.5V steady, sticker indicates 96V

Other voltages:
                                  5.3V matches value printed next to connector on power supply board
                                  Vg = 14.8

Thanks again for your continued assistance.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't recall rereading this post but you did not have dropping voltages before you accidentally shorted the lower buffer did you?

I would disconnect the white flat ribbon going from logic to y sustain and then re check voltages coming off power supply. Doing this turns off the y sustain so power supply is not getting loaded down if there is a short on that board.

As for the horizontal line still in the middle of the screen, it could be directly related to a faulty upper y buffer board you received.

When you purchase buffer boards off eBay they usually come from TV's with cracked screens were people tried to turn them on thinking it would still work but in essence destroys the buffer board.

It's a crapshoot sometimes. This issue looks like it's related directly to a shorted buffer board still. And if so my bet would be on the upper board.

You could try to just disconnect the upper buffer and check voltages off y sustain in see if they're stable
                                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-27-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Well, (with power off) I disconnected the ribbon cable to the Y sustain and after powering up the Vs was stable. Then (again with power off) I reconnected the ribbon cable and now the Vs is still stable. I've dialed-in the various voltages to be right at spec and I'll let the set run for a while to see if they change with temperature.

Is there a way to test the buffer boards more comprehensively? I'm willing to try transplanting components if that would have any chance of success.

I've checked ShopJimmy.com and they don't seem to stock this part, which is why I went to eBay in the first place. Do you have a recommendation for another parts source I could try?

Otherwise, are there boards from this set that it would be worth "parting out" in good conscience, so that I could try and recoup what I spent on the buffers?

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Comment

Sure enough, the eBay listing says it came from a set with a broken screen.

I may try again, but this time I'll pick a seller who takes returns.

Comment

Working...
                                        X