Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Gigabyte boards coming into the shop this week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Gigabyte boards coming into the shop this week!

I have two Gigabyte Socket A boards, a GA-7ZMMH (KM133A chipset) and a GA-7VRXP (KT333 chipset) coming in this week, both have the GSC cap plague.

The KM133A board is finnicky, it locks up and spontaneously reboots.... classic bad cap behavior. I ain't blaming Windows 98 on this one!

The KT333 board is still stable, but that's probably due to the two Rubycons I put in two years ago! Now the two GSCs that were good two years ago have let loose. If I had a couple more caps that day, they would have been changed out anyway but the customer needed his machine up the same day. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did..... 5 years for a GSC is incredible!

I changed my recapping method some time ago to the following method:
    If just ONE of a given type of cap fails, ALL of the caps of that type get changed. The entire VRM section gets swapped out. Fuhjyyu, Chissi, Wendell, GSC, Tayeh and Lelon get changed out automatically..... as do the counterfeit brands. G-Luxon often sees the bin as well.

Salvage caps are screened through the list of bad caps, bad brands go in the dumpster. Speaking of salvage caps; I have a dead laptop board full of Oscons! I have SP series, six 820mfd 4V, two 220mfd 6.3V, 330mfd 4V, and two 47mfd 25V.

I also have a dead MSI board with six 4700mfd 6.3V Nichicon HD series caps. Oddly enough, the board also has Tayeh caps elsewhere..... yuck!

Re: Two Gigabyte boards coming into the shop this week!

yeah that was my mistake blaming windoze 98, then I remembered Badcaps

popped GSC's (all of them)

Working fine now

Gigabyte 7ZXE Rev 1.1 (I think)

5 Years for GSC does that get them into the guiness world record book ?

hope all goes smooth for you HWGuy

Cheers
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

i wonder how long that boards instability was blamed on win98?

Comment

yay for win98 and badcaps flushed down the toilet, floppy and dial up is next
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
          yay for win98 and badcaps flushed down the toilet, floppy and dial up is next
          Why am I being banished to the sewer? I still use all 3

Way to go HWGuy' recycling is very environmentally responsible!
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I had that Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH myself, hated it. My problem was erratic keyboard and mouse connection. Usually the keyboard can't be found.
            No popped caps were present though.
            The AMI BIOS sucked too, couldn't just use a USB keyboard instead. Halted on any error.
            Tossed it in the trash.
            “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
            We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

98se wasnt THAT bad.
              i still have it on a programmer box and it runs 24/7/365 and folds too.
              only bsod was when i tried to read a bad floppy.
              cant read it and bluescreens.slowly recovers though.
              as for floppies i would not use them if i didnt use a sony mavica and didnt need to make os disks for cnc hardware.talk about a bad environment for a floppy!amazing they last as long as they do .
              as for the bad gigabyte board i bet a recap would have fixed the screwy keyboard issue.

Comment

Update: the computers are STILL running great. The win98 box needs daily reboots to remain stable (you can watch the free ram evaporate...something is leaking RAM) but the Athlon XP box running XP Pro is doing double duty as a dual head, dual user workstation.

The customer wants the following for his next rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad, likely a Q6600
                8GB RAM - DDR-2 800, CAS 4
                Vista Ultimate x64
                2 Geforce 8800GTs....not in SLI (this lets me use the P35 and X38 if I like)
                SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
                1TB disk, 320GB aux disk for work
                DVD-RW
                New KB and mouse...probably Microsoft
                Some kind of nice case...his kids have one request: Anything but beige!

He wants the ability to run 3 users off of his machine....one head for him, and one for each of his kids. The idea is one can be playing a game without bogging down the other two users which will be doing light tasks like surfing.

So this thing is gonna be a monster. The idea is he has only one comp to maintain instead of three.

Gonna use an eVGA or Gigabyte board and a Seasonic PSU. No junk here.

Comment

What software do you intend to use to create the separate terminals / desktops? not quite sure how this task would easily be accomplished without special sw or one of the server flavors of MS OS.

Comment

Working...
                  X