Is an exploded cap still usable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an exploded cap still usable?

I just bought two non-working Kenwood CS4035 scopes to muck around with, as I'm in the process of learning electronic repair, so figured they should teach me something.

They have linear power supplies, and on one of the PSU boards, there is a 4700uF electrolytic which had it top blown open.
    Turns out that both scopes have had various repair/mods done before and this cap had been fitted in reversed polarity.

Anyway, out of interest, I figured I would see how a blown cap tested, so flattened the top and took a reading, which came back as 4800uF, with negligible ESR and V loss.

I was not expecting a reading anything like that, and it has never even entered my head that an exploded cap might still be usable

So my question is, could this capacitor still be used?
    Last edited by Crystaleyes; 04-28-2022, 10:06 AM.

Re: Is an exploded cap still usable?

Originally posted by Crystaleyes View Post
    So my question is, could this capacitor still be used?
    No, at least not for any extended time period, if it was relatively new and just reversed polarity there may still be electrolyte in it now leading it to test "good" but now that the seal is broken (even if you pushed the vent back down it isn't sealed anymore, that is a solid piece of metal from the factory with relief notches stamped into it to allow for venting if the can is over pressurized, once it vents that seal is broken) it will likely dry out and go "bad" in short order (I guess you could theoretically epoxy the vent, but then if it ever needs to vent again it will go "kaboom" and possibly do allot more damage).

Comment

Thank you.

It would have been changed regardless, however I was just surprised to get that reading.

Every day's a school day...

Comment

Maybe you will find this thread a fun read
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102937
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
        X