LG LCD power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG LCD power supply

Out of an LG model 32LC2D. There are some caps which were identified with an "H" (see this thread). Not able to find any specs since the caps are not marked with any series. Based on the location of these caps in-circuit, would Panasonic FC/FM be good replacements (see attachment for markup)? Some of the smaller 5mm ones have enough room to put 6.3mm in there, but the others are matched up in diameter. The black Samxon KM series will all be replaced with Panasonic FC or FM, the green Samxon GF will be replaced with Panasonic FM. The two 3300uF 16V "H" will be replaced with Samxon RS. The two large 450V caps are Rubycon (AXW and MXC), so I am assuming these don't need to be changed out. Thanks for any advice.
    Attached Files

Re: LG LCD power supply

I would use FM or better for the 'H" mystery series caps as original specs aren't known.
    - At least for any 220uF and up.
    Smaller uF caps probably don't get that much ripple and FC would be fine.

I would leave the Samxon KM if they aren't bloated and don't test bad.
    A few Samxon series have issues but KM isn't one of them.
    [Unless I missed some new complaints.]
    If you are dead-set on replacing them then Panny FC are rated better than KM.

Samxon GF are one of the problem series and Panny FC are a close match on specs.

The two 3300uF 16V "H" -
    If you are restricted to 10mm space then use the RS.
    If you have room for a 12.5mm then I would use an FM.
    [Even a 12.5mm FC is rated better than a 10mm RS because of the can size.]

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Thanks PCBONEZ. Here is the complete list for reference in case anyone runs into this board in the future:

4.7uF 50V Samxon KM 5mm (C125)
      10uF 50V Samxon KM 5mm (C502)
      33uF 50V Samxon KM 5mm (C161)
      47uF 35V Samxon KM 5mm (C163)
      68uF 450V Rubycon AXW 18mm (C500)
      100uF 50V Samxon KM 8mm (C501)
      150uF 450V Rubycon MXC 35mm (C150)
      470uF 10V Samxon KM 6.3mm (C211, C238)
      680uF 10V Samxon GF 8mm (C210)
      1000uF 25V "H" 10mm (C208, C226, C228, C234, C237)
      1000uF 50V "H" 12.5mm (C221, C222)
      3300uF 16V "H" 12.5mm (C201, C202)

I will replace the Samxon GF and "H" caps first and see how it goes from there. My replacement list:

680uF 16V -> Panasonic FC
      1000uF 25V -> Panasonic FC or Nichicon HE
      1000uF 50V -> Panasonic FC or Nichicon HE (both 40mm tall; can't squeeze a 16X25 in there; wonder if I can use a Nichicon VR instead since originals are 12.5x25?)
      3300uF 16V -> Panasonic FC or Nichicon HE

Comment

No on the VR. - Looking now.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Edumacation time: Look at the data sheet...

VR are not Low ESR. - Not 'bad caps' just not Low ESR.
          You know this because ESR [often aka Impedance in data sheets] is not even given in the table.
          -
          Also the cap in question only handles 1350 mV of Ripple without overheating.
          HE & KY [though not as low as FM] are Low ESR and the 1000uF/50v handles 2920 mV Ripple.
          - that's over twice as much Ripple as VR.

680uF 16v - FM - 8x20mm
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12378-ND

1000uF 25v
          - If 10mm is mandatory - HE - 10x31.5mm
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1557-ND
          - If 12.5mm will fit - FM - 12.5x20mm
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12379-ND

1000uF 50v - HE or KY - 12.5x40mm
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1621-ND
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1616-ND
          [General FYI: There are only a few sizes where HE & KY aren't spot-on matches for specs.]

3300uF 16v - FM - 12.5x35mm
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12373-ND

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Hi there,
            I have the LG 32LC2D tv with various issues including the startup issues and crackling sound as mentioned on this thread. I am a total newby to this but as the tv is going in the bin anyway i thought it would be fun to try to fix it myself, and ive always fancied a bit of soldering. Could you tell me exactly what caps i would need to replace all of the caps on the power supply so i can make a phone call to order the partsand sound like i know what im talking about? Also, dont 4 of the caps need to be a higher temperature rating than the 105°C ones, 125°C i think?

Comment

for parts i recomend cpc farnell they have a no minimum order and a free delivery service etc most people on here will highly recomend panasonic fm or fc or fr capacitors from the web site can yoo post a good clear picture of your power supply. if your going to keep this set i would recomend to replace all the capacitors on it for a long lasting repair you can usually leave the one very large mains capacitor as these are usually ok.

Comment

Hi vinceroger69 thanks for the quick reply,
                I am currently using the tv and dont really want (girlfriend wont allow) to take the tv to bits until i attempt the fix. The power board is 68709D0006B REV 1.2 FOR LG 32LC2DB. I tried to upload a pic via my ipad but it didnt work. It seems that this thread has most of the answers but is a bit too techy for me and i just really wanted a list of what i should say on the phone. The tv has only the AV1 (scart) working and so im currently watching skyhd in non hd. The tv takes ages to start up and often has crackly audio. The hdmi doesnt work and wont recognise any source. Also the tv refuses to scan for freeview channels. On searching on the internet many people have the same issues (but not usually all of them) and they can be rectified by replacing the cheap installed caps.

Comment

on cpc site you choose the capacitors you want from a list ie make uf rating voltage rating series of capacitors then width and height of each capacitors etc most if not all will be 105c temp type its ok to go up in voltage if needed but not down in voltage.are you 100% sure this thread has the same power supply as yours as the list might be different how i make my list is to remove one capacitor at a time then note down pcb location ie c12 then write down uf rating and voltage rating from the capacitor then messure height and width of it then look on cpc site and order them.if your sure this thread has the same power supply its up to you if you work from the list provided.

Comment

Whilst it sounds a simple request it is not. Have you verified that 68709D0006B REV 1.2
                    IS the board in your set. Even then it is unlikely that a anyone will have a list of caps
                    and as manufacturers change the specs of caps from time to time even on the same board number there is no guarantee that their list would be the same. Also as you cannot
                    buy the exact same make/series caps as on your board you need to physically measure them to make sure the caps will fit. You can get the same value caps in different sizes.
                    So you could perhaps order a 16v 1000uf cap but would need to know if it was 8mm or
                    10mm diameter and 15 mm or 20mm height.
                    The hdmi problem is unlikely to be fixed by caps.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi selldoor, thanks for showing an interest in my issue.
                      I had seen instances of the hdmi problem being fixed on tvs by replacing capacitors, and my lg model has been mentioned a few times regarding this, but i feel i am too inexperienced for all of this. I may as well just bite the bullet and buy a new tv then.
                      Thanks anyway.
                      One other thing though, if caps vary so much, how can people advertise repair kits on the internet? Are they simply guessing?
                      Last edited by Dmuggy; 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

That seems a quick "give up" I would wait for more replies. Its probably not a good idea to take apart the tv you are relying on for watching but initially you said it was bound for the bin. In that position most people would look out for full boards on ebay and then it is
                        a quick job to try them. I see there is a list of caps earlier in the post and yes I see kits
                        are available - I suppose the sellers have some experience of particular boards and will
                        have researched what will fit and work. I can only say what I would do and pass on what others have said works. I have had a quick look but havent found anything on the www about the hdmi for this set being fixed with caps but would be interested to read if you have the links. Go ahead and get a kit - may work for you at very least should fix the 6v supply for the sound problem, but never any guarantees.
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi again, i found this thread which is similar to my problem.
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26916 - the 37lc2d appears to be the same board as my tv.
                          ... as you can see sometimes hdmi can be bad due to incorrect voltage. Id rather not buy a new complete board and just get hold of the capacitors.

Comment

yes i can remember that thread now im not sure what experience you have with electronics and if you have a multi meter or not and maybe a esr meter what im trying to say is that a capacitor can look good in condition no visible signs of failure but can still be bad with high esr etc.its up to you as in if you order the whole lot using the thread above for the capacitor values etc.

Comment

I will second Selldoor's advice: Open it up, take a look at the board itself because even though it has the same part number it could be completely different. Then make a list of all capacitors, keeping track of location, size (diameter/height), value, make and series. Post that list here, and people can make suggestions on what you can order that will be equivalent (or better). The only issue you may run into at this stage is not being able to identify it without removing it from the board (due to orientation, the markings may not be visible/readable). Still, you should be able to make the list and keep the TV in service while parts are on their way.

As a side note, what error did you get on your iPad that prevented the picture from being posted? I would resolve that also, because without a good picture then you'll only get general advice.

My LG 32LC2D is still in service and working great! Good luck!

Comment

Ok so i understand everyone is prompting me to be cautious but the tv is really doing my head in, and im probably going to end up getting a new tv soon anyway. If for £15-£20 i can have a go at fixing it and getting a bit of experience in the meantime then that would be brill. This is what i believe i need from the above thread (which also corrosponds to the kits that can be found on the internet but cost twice as much) Id be very grateful if you would give it a quick glance over and let me know what you think...

2x 3300uF 16v 12.5mm (c201, c202 all 105°c)
                                5x 1000uF 25v 10mm (c208, c226, c228 all 105°c) (c234, c237 both 125°c)
                                2x 1000uF 50v 12.55mm (c221, c222 both 125°c)
                                1x 680uF 10v 8mm (c210 105°c)
                                2x 470uF 10v 6.3mm (c211, c238 both 105°c)
                                1x 100uF 50v 8mm (c501 105°c)
                                1x 47uF 35v 5mm (c163 105°c)
                                1x 33uF 50v 5mm (c161 105°c)
                                1x 10uF 50v 5mm (c502 105°c)
                                1x 4.7uF 50v 5mm (c125 105°c)

I'll not bother with the two large ones as I'm told they rarely fail.
                                I have been told that 4 of these need to be able to work at higher temps as they are in a 'heat pocket'.
                                I need a soldering iron and some solder (any tips).
                                Is there any chance of electrocution?
                                Thanks
                                Last edited by Dmuggy; 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Nice list -- please add the make and series of each (for example: Samxon KM), since that will give us the characteristics of the cap which will help determine the replacements to use. The two large ones are likely good so don't worry about those.

Soldering iron: Personal preferences, but I'd recommend 40W minimum (65W better) with a 1.6 or 2.4 chisel tip. You'll also probably need a stand and something to clean the tip (such as a sponge).

Solder: Solder recommended by a fellow BadCaps forum user

As with any electronics, electrocution is a possibility but just take the proper precautions. Since you're replacing caps rather than taking measurements, keep it unplugged from the mains for a few minutes after powering down so it has time to discharge. Ground yourself to the metal on the chassis often if you're not using a ground strap (this is for ESD and not electrocution).

Note that this will end up costing you more than £15-£20 once you factor in equipment as well as the caps. BUT it will be well worth it when it's fixed!

Comment

Ok, so i posted that before i saw the post above it, i'll take the back off the tv and see what i can find out.

Comment

Ok, so taking a tv to bits isnt as much fun as i hoped, with the added pressure of knowing that my lass would go mad if she knew. None of the caps looked damaged , very slight bulge on a couple. Anyway i managed it and although it was difficult at times to read what was on the dusty caps i got this...

2x 3300uF 16v 12.5mm (c201, c202 all 105°c) samxon gk(m)
                                      5x 1000uF 25v 10mm (c208, c226, c228 all 105°c) sam gf(m) (c234, c237 both 125°c) sam bd(m)
                                      2x 1000uF 50v 12.55mm (c221, c222 both 125°c) sam bd(m)
                                      1x 680uF 10v 8mm (c210 105°c) sam gf(m)
                                      2x 470uF 10v 6.3mm (c211, c238 both 105°c) sam gk(m)
                                      1x 100uF 50v 8mm (c501 105°c) sam gk(m)
                                      1x 47uF 35v 5mm (c163 105°c) sam gk(m)
                                      1x 33uF 50v 5mm (c161 105°c) sam gk(m)
                                      1x 10uF 50v 5mm (c502 105°c) sam gk(m)
                                      1x 4.7uF 50v 5mm (c125 105°c) sam gk(m)

Telly is now back together and working as well (badly) as it was before, skyHd through scart (arghhhhh!). My lass rang last night on her nightshift and suggested we just buy a new telly, so i ordered one and it has made me more determined to try to fix this one knowing that if i cock it up it doesnt matter and the pressure is off. Then we could have a spare tv. Heres a pic if it helps...
                                      Last edited by Dmuggy; 02-18-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Here...
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Dmuggy; 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X