Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 3008wfp faulty power supply

"however I doubt my soldering skills..."

Quite so- I have been trying to rack my brains to remember if we have any members
    in your part of the country who might help. Replacing one cap is less of an ask than
    resoldering a partly destroyed board!!
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I had to use a TaoBao agent due to it being very different to eBay. I have just submitted a ticket to their customer support but I'm not hopeful about any type of refund being obtainable...
      I'll power it up again and see if it's that cap making the whining noise which is a possibility? Or should I not be powering it up without it being connected to the monitor? I'm sure I'm capable of re-earthing the pcb in that corner as the contact is still there

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      "however I doubt my soldering skills..."

Quite so- I have been trying to rack my brains to remember if we have any members
      in your part of the country who might help. Replacing one cap is less of an ask than
      resoldering a partly destroyed board!!
      I have found a family friend of sorts who has some soldering skills recently who offered me some assistance if needed - I'll pursue that!
      Last edited by fuus; 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I know that really you just cant wait, pity LJ didnt actually comment on the cap.
        I dont think having it not connected will be bad though wouldnt do it for more than a few minutes in case. A lot of it will not be powered up anyway if it is not connected to the main board and if the lamps are not connected the inverter transformers will cut out.
        (Might not be relevant I cant remember if it has inverter transformers on the board and I
        am too tired to look) Off to bed, but will listen for a big bang from the south
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I just ran it again, there is one continuous whine from what I assume is one capacitor. the pitch doesn't change at all.. There was no big bang so all is well here.. Thanks again for your help selldoor, much appreciated

There *must* be an inverter transformer somewhere on the board
          Last edited by fuus; 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            I know that really you just cant wait, pity LJ didnt actually comment on the cap.
            I dont think having it not connected will be bad though wouldnt do it for more than a few minutes in case. A lot of it will not be powered up anyway if it is not connected to the main board and if the lamps are not connected the inverter transformers will cut out.
            (Might not be relevant I cant remember if it has inverter transformers on the board and I
            am too tired to look) Off to bed, but will listen for a big bang from the south
            I didn't comment on the cap because I thought it was just a little dent. That board has been major league whacked! I absolutely wouldn't trust it in anything I repaired. The inverter board is seperate and fairly large.
            It powers 18 ccfl's. I'll be listening for that big bang from across the pond myself

Originally posted by fuus View Post
            I just ran it again, there is one continuous whine from what I assume is one capacitor. the pitch doesn't change at all.. There was no big bang so all is well here.. Thanks again for your help selldoor, much appreciated

There *must* be an inverter transformer somewhere on the board
            That whine will eventually drive you crazy. I'd consider replacing the cap, but it might void any return policy. So I wouldn't touch it until I heard back from the seller.
            I thought it was maybe just a simple cap replacement myself. But that board looks like it was dropped on the corner from quite a height! I doubt replacing a dented cap will stop the whine. I think it comes from being dropped. But I'd wait and see what the seller has to say. I know you have waited quite awhile. I'm sorry. But haste makes waste, and I believe patience will pay off mate.
            Last edited by Lumberjack777; 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I personally thing the damage is completely limited to that corner as the whine is most definitely coming from the cap. Due to the area of the board impacted there is absolutely no damage to the heatsink, so I assume no other components will have been affected *FINGERS ARE CROSSED* - I will contact the seller and see if any returns policy exists. Failing that I will get ready to replace that cap!

Cheers LJ!

EDIT: The cap dent isn't all that big, it's only a 1000uF 35V cap thus the dent might look out of proportion?

Comment

I personally thing the damage is completely limited to that corner as the whine is most definitely coming from the cap. Due to the area of the board impacted there is absolutely no damage to the heatsink, so I assume no other components will have been affected *FINGERS ARE CROSSED* - I will contact the seller and see if any returns policy exists. Failing that I will get ready to replace that cap!

Cheers LJ!

EDIT: The cap dent isn't all that big, it's only a 1000uF 35V cap thus the dent might look out of proportion?
                If you are sure the whine is coming from that cap. I guess just wait and see what the seller says. I personally think he should replace the power supply for free. That's really bad business to drop a power supply, break the pcb, and damage the cap, then ship it.

But, worst case you just have to replace the cap. *crossing fingers, toes and eyes* You're getting there, finally!

Comment

I think it could still be a month or two until it could be fixed! Surely this might be the longest fix in badcap history?! :P

Comment

pray for me basically

Comment

WE are all hanging in here for you 2 more months??

Comment

if I end up replacing this shottky then I think it'll be 2 months!

Comment

I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to trial the PSU in the monitor with the whine in case it breaks it?

Comment

any speculation on if it could damage the physical panel? I'm 99.99% sure the whining is coming from a single dented cap

Cheers, Fuus

Comment

any speculation on if it could damage the physical panel? I'm 99.99% sure the whining is coming from a single dented cap

Cheers, Fuus
                              OK Fuus, going from the information you provided. If TaoBao is not responding to your ticket for a damaged item. And you are sure the whining noise is from the dented cap. You might as well plan on grabbing that same cap from the old board and having it soldered in. The only possibility of damage would be to the main board when you install the power board. When it gets to that point, you get a digital multimeter, and we'll compare output votages to a known good power board that I have. I'll tell you what the output votages should be. If it matches closely then we can be confident that you can install it and fire it up.
                              Without the

You know I was actually going to buy a main board from those guys. No way now. And who knows how many $100's or $1000's of dollars they have lost in business, due to this poor business practice.

pray for me basically
                              Haha. Ok, praying, crossing fingers. I think we'll get to the promised land fairly soon

Comment

Forgive my lack of transparency, the poor service has originated from the reseller I used (Yoybuy)!

I'm away from my home until Friday, some known good voltages before then would be absolutely super!

After contacting my family friend he is happy to both salvage an identical cap to replace the dented one and to put a new shottky in as well! (The one in there currently was a like for like replacement)

I typed this response whilst walking around Ikea!

Comment

I typed this response whilst walking around Ikea!
                                  Is that a confession or a boast - is it something to be proud of?

Nearest I ever got was whizzing past one on the motorway.

Comment

Just an achievement of efficient time use! I was being forced into walking around so I might as well multi task!

Comment

They've offered me a full refund on the item, but
                                      Not the worldwide postage, 1/2 the overall cost.... In fairness the response from their service desk was professional and they didn't want to quibble over when it was broken!

Cap replacement here we come!

Comment

Alright. Looks like we got the green light. Time to move forward.
                                        It's just ONE CAP! In the history of badcaps. It's 3 months. And just ONE BAD CAP!

But the monitor is worth about 750 bucks.
                                        You are gonna make it this time. I can feel it.
                                        So get your man to carefully change that cap.
                                        And I'll grab a PSU for that Dell 3008. And give you the output voltages.

I have a good feeling about this Fuus. Bad luck only comes in 3's.

1. You had a bad schottky diode. 2. Bad soldering, and lifted traces. 3. Then a dropped replacement board you bought online.
                                        THAT'S THREE!

I'll upload those output voltages tomorrow.

It's time for the promised land. And a big, beautiful Dell 3008, and colors and rainbows

Comment

It's been about 8 months since I first removed that irritating bezel!

I also feel this luck, I very much look forward to this 1600p cheesecake!

Comment

Working...
                                          X