This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Behringer MX3282A for a whole $1. Said to be non-working and without a cord but even if I never find a cord for $1 I get a fuckton of pots, faders, XLR and 1/4" jacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191541620488

Comment

Not free because I know I paid for it somehow, but found a partially used 6 fl oz bottle of 100% acetone nail polish remover in the bathroom and confiscated it. They have another full bottle of nail polish remover but it ain't 100% acetone. Wooo doggies! It definitely smells like 100% too, got a tad dizzy from that and it was just one tiny sniff to smell it.

Comment

Sun M2444 9 track drive for $26. Got it for $1 + $25 to deliver when I got the mixer.

Quite clean for the age, probably works too but haven't tested it as it weighs too damn much to move inside tonight - it's gotta be nearing 150 pounds.

http://imgur.com/a/SG43V

Comment

do you need to spool it, or is it an autoloader?

Comment

Can you convert the Sun tape drive for audio use?

Comment

Scored a Motorola SBV5220 Cable + Phone modem for $2.50 at goodwill. Needs some work as it squeals (probably bad caps in the PSU?).
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

icom ic-726.
                neighbor cleaned out his dads garage and found a "military radio"
                asked me if i wanted it before it hit the big rolloff bin.
                got it and 5 huge boxes of amateur radio packrat stuff along with several big batteries.
                the batteries are probably recycling pallet material but trying to charge anyway.

Comment

This here's really nice for free: Quantum QFlash T5d-R. Basically a studio flash in a smaller package and a huge price tag. No power pack for this one but I'm working at getting one to test. For reference, this unit alone is $700. The "cheap" battery pack is an additional $300.

No idea if this one works or not, I do notice the button wear and crack where the reflector goes in so I'm hoping it's a case of "Damn reflector won't stay in and this one's getting old anyways" rather than actually dead. If there's something broken inside it's probably something like the flash capacitor based on the wear this thing has.

Along with this I have a box of random photography cables and such - a bunch of bag straps, a plethora of Metz cabling for between battery packs and camera and such, power cords for various things, etc.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Compgeke; 04-11-2015, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by onex View Post
                    found this 1992 laptop,it needs a 20v power source i have a 19.5v from universal laptop charger ,would that charger handle running that laptop.
                    well it partially fires up got some lights ,fans and the battery holds a charge but thats it right now,it looks like it has 2 power supplies inside and one has had something spilled on it so will have to replace that first but will have to wait because i scored another laptop,2004 acer which had a broken pin in the charging port and is now all working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      probably.
                      i remember those, the really good ones had an orange plasma display, most had lcd.

if it boots, replace the harddrive with a compact-flash adapter and a 4gig cf-card - it will boot like lightning.
                      i just scored a 2008 mini HP pc with a flash hard drive so might try it out when its fixed.

Comment

I got a pair of RCA WHP141B 900 MHz wireless headphones, like these:
                        http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...r-reviews.html
                        for $2 at Micro Center. YES, $2, no joke.

I'm not sure if it was a mistake in the price or something like that. But they were refurbs and this was an open-box item IIRC. Oh, and it was their last set too. So maybe that's why.
                        It's funny, because they had a big "$29.99" label on the box and no open-box label. When I asked one of the salesman guys in the store to check the price for me, he pointed to the label. I was like, "no man, I saw that they are $2 online, can you check, please". He did... and his reaction: "wow $2 indeed! man that's a really good deal for a pair of headphones like that." .

So... then I go to the cashier to pay for them. I give him the headphones and pull out two $1 bills and start looking for coins. He notices the price tag on the headphones and looks at me funny with my two $1 bills. Then he scans them and his jaw nearly dropped .
                        -"Whaat? $2?! That is awesome!" Then he gives me the grand total (with tax): $2.11. I pull a dime and a penny - there transaction complete!

When I got home, I open it and check the contents - everything is there. Even included a pair of rechargeable AAA batteries! But I didn't want to wait for the batteries to charge, so I put in two regular AAA's (not Duracells, though). The headphones do work, so nothing unusual. But I actually don't really care about that, since I got these only for their 40 mm drivers. My idea is to convert them to wired headphones, now that I have me a new headphone amplifier in the making (more on that another time, though).

Now as far as the performance of the headphones - it's definitely nothing stellar. Actually, they do have quite a bit of hiss. Most likely the internal amplifier IC (LS2308 - which is supposedly equivalent to TDA1308) is configured with a really high gain. And the output coupling capacitors on it are only 100 uF, so the bass response is about the same as my cheap Sony MDR-023 cans (28 mm drivers). So I will likely be making some upgrades to these headphones (when I get back home from college, that is).
                        Last edited by momaka; 05-07-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

^ The only difference between modern RCA and Junk? Junk has four letters.

They were probably marked down because they probably didn't sell well Who uses 900MHz anyway??? Any decent modern wireless headphone set would be bluetooth.

So yeah, all they're good for is the drivers.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

isnt 900mhz used by GSM in the states?

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              ^ The only difference between modern RCA and Junk? Junk has four letters.
                              Hah, first time I hear that. RCA re-brands (or used to?) most of their stuff, so it can't be all bad.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              They were probably marked down because they probably didn't sell well Who uses 900MHz anyway??? Any decent modern wireless headphone set would be bluetooth.
                              Well... $30 -> $2... that seems more than marked down to me. Heck, the shittiest of the shittiest earbuds are at least $1. And even the more expensive "high-end" earbuds will have crappy sound quality compared to these RCAs.

@stj: I have no idea what GSM uses here in the US. All I know is - it works as long as I put money in my pay-as-you-go. No money-hogging data plans here

Comment

Well, I just retrieved a Dell 2407WFPb monitor. Plugged it in turned it on and nothing. Started reading all the posts here about them and the problems everyone was having. I got curious and decided to open it up. Looked at everything did some resistance checks and couldn't find anything bad. Took the push button board off the bezel and what did I find? The button that turns the power on was broken off! Plugged it back in and turned it on and it works! Now sitting where my flickering 2005 was sitting! Works great. I can't believe it!

Comment

Originally posted by onex View Post
                                  i just scored a 2008 mini HP pc with a flash hard drive so might try it out when its fixed.
                                  you may find this link usefull.
                                  http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/index.shtml

Comment

List of the stuff my friend throw away, usually old parts he replaced for his client (He works at a PC shop btw )
                                    - MSI P45 Platinum (Would not POST, but after a CMOS reset it was working fine)
                                    - ECS RS-740M AM2 board with Athlon LE-1640 (CMOS reset did the trick)
                                    - 2 x J&W G31 MKII 775 board with C2D E7500 on 1 of them (CMOS reset did the trick as well)
                                    - MSI K9A2 CF with Phenom X4 9550, highend cooler master HSF (board was dead, CPU is working)
                                    - MSI G31M3-L (After recap it was working)
                                    - ATI HD2600XT (After fan replacement working fine again)
                                    - Gigabyte 9600GS (Reflow solved the artifacts)
                                    - And some other HDD with bad sector and SMART, but still works, serving as my torrent download storage
                                    - Some DDR2 ram that thought to be faulty, using it for testing now
                                    - Athlon X2 3800+ desktop with a faulty DVD drive causing it failed to POST (my current HTPC)

Stuff i pickup off the street
                                    - Intel DG965OT desktop board with faulty LAN port but able to POST
                                    - Pentium Dual core E2140 with broken intel HSF
                                    - Some nice looking IDE cable
                                    - Some 80Gb desktop drive that turns out to be functioning well

Comment

My latest score was an HP Pavilion a6712f desktop box. IPIBL-LB motherboard, 6GB RAM, Intel E5200 CPU. It is a pretty fast PC but the onboard GPU sucks. I'm used to using an AGP card with 512MB. Now I'm looking for a decent yet affordable PCIe x16 card that plays nice with Linux and some older games such as Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3.
                                      Last edited by SteveNielsen; 06-05-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Sometimes craigslist really comes thru for me, I just got a Megatouch Maxx countertop
                                        video arcade game from a guy who was moving. It's heavy (about 95 lbs.) and it was DOA,
                                        but I replaced all the caps on the MB (it's a Unicorn!) and it now lives again...yay!

Comment

Some free scores for today:

Deer-built PC case -the giveaway that it's a Deer-built case is that unlike other ATX cases the right side panel isn't removable (it's actually the panel where the mounting screws are fitted)

Foxconn 661FX motherboard - doesn't POST,corroded (wasn't worth anything anyways)

PixelView FX5200 128MB - bulged Evercons but OSCON near DVI port OK.

Floppy drive

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G - had 3 KZGs (still new tho) that I replaced for safety reasons - came with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood)

Premier LC-B400ATX - gutless wonder of a Deer when it came to me first,it also had some wires cut,modded it with a AVC fan,a SBL2045 12v rectifier,PI coils and common mode choke,and attached missing plugs to it (floppy and a few 4 pin HDD/ODD cables)

And that is all. I have currently built a machine using the Deer case,the Premier PSU and the Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G motherboard. It has 2GB RAM,a Radeon HD3450,2 floppy drives,3 DVD drives and a 80GB SATA HDD and NIC (MB doesn't have onboard NIC for a reason I can't understand). The only things to be installed in it are a TV tuner,another NIC (I like having 2 NICs) and a USB bracket.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X