Having trouble Identifying Burnt SMD component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble Identifying Burnt SMD component

Hello. I have a motherboard I am attempting to repair for a customer. I found a burnt transistor/voltage regulator? But I can only make out the first two or 3 markings on it.

How would I go about finding it based off the markings or half the markings in my case.

https://postimg.org/gallery/121wne7y8/

Thanks for reading this

Re: Having trouble Identifying Burnt SMD component

if it's a laptop we may find a schematic, what's the make & model?

Comment

I found the schematic for it. Its a dell alienware 14. Motherboard version la-9210p.

Someone helped me out and listed the markings but I still am not too good at identifying it for a replacement.

The markings are D5PV - Horizontal and 1F vertical.

Here is the schematic that is waaaay above my head: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...450521f511.pdf
      Last edited by neverexisted; 08-25-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Either open up the schematic and put the markings in white that identify the component into the search box or alternatively take a photo without the magnifier so I can see its identifier and find which mosfet it is. I think it's a mdu1516 but i'd like to double check.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          Either open up the schematic and put the markings in white that identify the component into the search box or alternatively take a photo without the magnifier so I can see its identifier and find which mosfet it is. I think it's a mdu1516 but i'd like to double check.
          I did a search and came up empty. Going as far as to put different combinations and abbreviations No luck.

As for the second part I will take more pics and post them. I assume you mean take more pics of the general area so I will do that.

Thanks

Getting pics posted right now

Comment

https://imgur.com/gallery/qYlYU

Let me know what else you may need. I really really appreciate your help.

Comment

Better close up pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/KfQpe

Comment

It's 6 pin not 8 so not the mdu1516, no idea why I was thinking that !
                Having a proper look i think it's a SI3456 There aren't many 6 pin chips that size on the board and they are all SI3456. Has it got the same markings as component Q11 which is right over to the left of that burnt one, just to the left of the markings "JTRONF"

Comment

Having a proper look i think it's a SI3456 There aren't many 6 pin chips that size on the board and they are all SI3456. Has it got the same markings as component Q11 which is right over to the left of that burnt one, just to the left of the markings "JTRONF"

I didn't see any matching but I will have another look when I get home. Just left to see the Dr be back in about an hour.

Comment

After looking here through the pics on my phone I found that they're not the same. Here is a close up of Q11:
                    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9JMIq
                    Last edited by neverexisted; 08-25-2017, 05:24 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

Comment

The markings on Q11 are: AYXBI (Y with a = above it and I with a dash on top and bottom of it).

QV11 has similar size and markings with: D5XV horizontal and 19 vertical.
                      Last edited by neverexisted; 08-25-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Do you have any other info on this I am almost about to call it quits. But I'd really like to win on this one. Just for my own happiness.

NVM I GOT IT! WOOT! Diff you were right about the SI3456. After staring at the schematic and looking for that number I found three just like the board has and they are all the same as you had thought. I found the exact part and have it on the way!
                        Last edited by neverexisted; 08-29-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neverexisted View Post
                          Do you have any other info on this I am almost about to call it quits. But I'd really like to win on this one. Just for my own happiness.

NVM I GOT IT! WOOT! Diff you were right about the SI3456. After staring at the schematic and looking for that number I found three just like the board has and they are all the same as you had thought. I found the exact part and have it on the way!
                          Excellent, let us know how you get on when it arrives.

Comment

Well I went to replace the part and the pads underneath were burnt up. I didn't expect that as they looked OK under magnification. I guess I learned not to order parts until the part is removed and the board is inspected. I did learn a few things along the way so its not a complete loss. Thanks again for your help diif I appreciate your time.

Comment

That's a shame, how badly burnt is it? Give it a clean with some IPA and maybe a light scrub with a small brush or fibreglass pencil.

Comment

if you have the schematic then you can fix it with kinar wire - you know where each pin connects.

Comment

Working...
                                X