Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikay786 View Post
Managed to get the PS3 up and running with a quick bake, how long it last is anyone's guess but is working perfectly as of now. Backwards compatible too just been trying some ps2 games on it.

Watching a YouTube video the other day and guy was saying baking doesn't actually fix the problem with graphics chips as the issue isn't with the solder balls, is that the case? Something about heating flip chip design chips sorts them out for short term.
Well, in the case of the PS3, Sony used a custom GPU made by nVidia based on the GeForce 7800 series. As you might have heard by now, nVidia had many problems with their GeForce 6000, 7000 and 8000 series of video cards - collectively known as the bumpgate issue. That's where the GPU die (the actual silicone core) separates from the green PCB chip it is on. And it is mostly due to the fact that the materials they used to attach the GPU die to the substrate/PCB can't handle the heat too well and will allow the die to detach or short-out its contacts over time. Baking/re-heating the chip sometimes fixes the bumpgated core for a little bit, but it's a temporary fix, unless the temperature is kept very low after that. For these bumpgated GPU chips, the temperature should be kept under 60C at all times to avoid the issue and possibly even less for reflowed/re-heated chips. That said, the PS3s run pretty hot in order to stay quiet. So one way to prolong the life is to manually crank up the fan speed with an external controller.

Also, another thing worth mentioning regarding the PS3 is that the heat spreader they used on the GPU is attached with thermal epoxy that looses its effectiveness over time, especially after a reflow/re-heat. So to prolong the life of your repair even further, you should detach the heat-spreader on the GPU, clean it from the old thermal compount/epoxy, and re-apply new thermal epoxy again.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #1662
vinceroger69
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Nuneaton Warwickshire
My Country: uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Well, in the case of the PS3, Sony used a custom GPU made by nVidia based on the GeForce 7800 series. As you might have heard by now, nVidia had many problems with their GeForce 6000, 7000 and 8000 series of video cards - collectively known as the bumpgate issue. That's where the GPU die (the actual silicone core) separates from the green PCB chip it is on. And it is mostly due to the fact that the materials they used to attach the GPU die to the substrate/PCB can't handle the heat too well and will allow the die to detach or short-out its contacts over time. Baking/re-heating the chip sometimes fixes the bumpgated core for a little bit, but it's a temporary fix, unless the temperature is kept very low after that. For these bumpgated GPU chips, the temperature should be kept under 60C at all times to avoid the issue and possibly even less for reflowed/re-heated chips. That said, the PS3s run pretty hot in order to stay quiet. So one way to prolong the life is to manually crank up the fan speed with an external controller.

Also, another thing worth mentioning regarding the PS3 is that the heat spreader they used on the GPU is attached with thermal epoxy that looses its effectiveness over time, especially after a reflow/re-heat. So to prolong the life of your repair even further, you should detach the heat-spreader on the GPU, clean it from the old thermal compount/epoxy, and re-apply new thermal epoxy again.
i have just acquired a old fat type ps3 and have not opened it as yet as working fine, would you recommend applying new thermal epoxy to this model too? if so have you got a ebay link of the compound/thermal epoxy you would recommend thanks.

Last edited by vinceroger69; 09-18-2017 at 01:37 PM..
vinceroger69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #1663
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

If it hasn't failed/YLODed yet, just replace the white thermal compound on the CPU and GPU with something better and crank up the fan speed. That alone should help it work a little longer. If you feel adventurous, you might also want to change the NEC/Tokin caps with MLCC and Tantalum ones (though you could just wait 'till you get a YLOD before attempting that).

As for thermal epoxy, I've only done/used that a few times. It was made by Artic Silver, IIRC, and came in two syringes you had to mix (so pretty much like regular epoxy). Good stuff, but quite expensive. I haven't tried the eBay thermal epoxy compounds, though I am certainly thinking about getting some cheap ones to try out in the near future, as I have some boards and video cards that need heatsinks glued.

Last edited by momaka; 09-18-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #1664
Per Hansson
Super Moderator

City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8adu View Post
you too?
Yea, this one was beyond repair though.
The VGA chip had a hole through it, so probably everything connected to 5v got toasted with the caps failing...
Board was a PC104 SBC, an Advantech PCM-5862E
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #1665
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench
I'm a: Professional Tech

mine are all 558's.
and the video on those seems to be proprietary.
these things are never cheap when you need one.
much nicer being on the supply side of the deal.
btw i got funny looks from a friend when we picked up this load of scrap.
he watched me put all these in a box along with their cables and put the box in my trunk.
along with some 10" mono crt monitors.
i will get the last laugh out of this though.

Last edited by kc8adu; 09-20-2017 at 07:03 AM..
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #1666
jiroy
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Beirut
My Country: Lebanon

It was a very busy week , As people are returning from summer vacations and students are returning to school ..Been dealing with at least 15 laptops and desktops repairs ..
I've been working from seven to eleven (with the kind permission of Led Zeppelin , lol ) ..

This week , I've got for free one Sony HCD-GRX8 complete with speakers . Really funny , but it's the same problem as last week's one .. All belts are melted ... A battle against Asphalt , lol , and it's fully working .
Two hp printers PSC -1510 . One Viewsonic monitor ... Will check them later ..

See ya
jiroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #1667
kc8adu
Super Moderator

got a free centipede.
will haul it home over the weekend.
the guys original intent was to have me repair it but now he has to move to a new job.
told me to come haul it off.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #1668
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents

not the Atari one?!!!!!!
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #1669
kc8adu
Super Moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede_(video_game)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
not the Atari one?!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #1670
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents

i know what it is, i owned a cocktail table version.

stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #1671
mikay786
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ps3-contro...edirect=mobile

Bought this joblot off eBay in hope to fix up to go with the PS3 I "repaired" last week. Out of the 5 controllers got 3 working perfectly. Two needed batteries, one had a broken USB port and a dodgy analogue mechanism but managed to salvage all but the battery from the completely dead controller. Headset and mic both working it appears.

Not really a score but decent enough a deal, if I don't ruin the 4th controller (battlefield 4 pde controller) would have been a good deal better. Was working just needed pads / buttons cleaning but was a bit of a nightmare assembly wise. Just got fed up with it and tried brute forcing it tearing some cables so just binned it.

Anyhow was more of a test for me as come across loads of PS3 controllers at boot sale for peanuts but having not worked on them never bothered. But perhaps worth picking up now as they still do decent money and are fairly easily repairable.
mikay786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #1672
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiroy View Post
This week , I've got for free one Sony HCD-GRX8 complete with speakers . Really funny , but it's the same problem as last week's one .. All belts are melted ... A battle against Asphalt , lol , and it's fully working .
Lol, funny to see fairly modern system like this have problem with belts this early in its life. I have seen tape decks from the late 70's and early 80's still with original belts and working (though slipping a bit). The rubber these new systems are using must be really low quality stuff. Either that or mishandled during installation (typically contamination by grease and oil will eat the belts away pretty quickly.)

Not a bad find otherwise. The speakers from some of these modern systems, especially Sony, seemed to be tuned pretty decently. For a small size room, they are perfect and offer plenty of deep bass. Though depending on the music you listen to, that may or may not be a good thing. For music with lots of real (non-synthetic) drum kicks, I find oldschool paper cone speakers to sound a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikay786 View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ps3-contro...edirect=mobile

Bought this joblot off eBay in hope to fix up to go with the PS3 I "repaired" last week. Out of the 5 controllers got 3 working perfectly. Two needed batteries, one had a broken USB port and a dodgy analogue mechanism but managed to salvage all but the battery from the completely dead controller. Headset and mic both working it appears.
Pretty good.

Considering there is still a good market for the genuine PS3 controllers. Just about a year ago when I found my PS3 and went to look for a controller at my local GameStop, I was told it'd cost me $60 (or something like that) for a USED PS3 controller! My eyes nearly fell out when the counter guy told me that. That's why I bought these two:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...706#post771706
... and to say the least, they are nowhere near as good as a genuine PS3 controller. So what you found is a pretty good deal.

Last edited by momaka; Today at 08:30 AM..