Just Getting Started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Getting Started...

I've been given a Baird 37" X37DTV that was apparently working fine but then one day whilst it was being watched it just went off and wouldn't power back on. It's my first Tv project and would be a good cheap upgrade for my son's 22" Tv that displays nothing other than Call of Duty and the Walking Dead on his XBox these days. It does have a VGA input as well so he could connect his laptop up to it.

After doing some reading I removed the back and after clearing some of the dust and having a look around, I noticed a large slightly bulging cap on the PSU which I've removed and the top of it does indeed look likes its bulging. The other caps seem to be ok to the untrained eye but I've attached some photos juse in case.

The cap is a Samxon 150uf 400v and upon removing it I can see some kind of residue on the bottom of it. I've cleaned the board with some rubbing alcohol just in case and removed the glue and everything looks nice and tidy ready for a new one.

The trouble is, I can only find one Rubycon 400w 150uf cap on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBYCON-40...item2a321130a7

Everything else seems to be snap-on. The cap I would like to replace needs to have legs so that I can push the legs though the board, bend the cap over into position, solder it onto the board and then trim the excess from the legs.

I went through the Maplin website and even gave them a call but they don't stock any 400w 150uf caps. I've had a look at RS Components and Farnell but I don't know if they sell to the public or if they're trade only [both are closed on a Sunday]. Their components did seem to have more competitive pricing but there were quite a few varients.

I'm not really bothered where I get the replacement cap from providing its the right one and I don't have to wait weeks for it to come from China. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Also, I'd also like to stock up on a few of the components that regular fail inside a TV so I'm not buying them adhoc all the time and I can start up a little toolbox for TV related components and tools. I just need a few pointers as to the kinds of things I should be buying and where to buy them from please?

I've attached some images of the large 400w 150uf cap that's bulging, and also some snaps of the other caps, some are a little hard to see so I've taken shots from a couple of different angles.

[Edit]
    I've uploading some images but my broadband is currently down and uploading via my mobile isn't working well at the moment.
    [/Edit]
    Attached Files

Re: Just Getting Started...

Too many questions in one post

I will try and help with caps - Its very hard to tell other than by a straight on view of the side of a cap if it is bulged - your big cap does look bulged.
    Farnell and RS have outlets in Leeds - you do not have to be trade. If it helps you can go for a 450v 150uf cap. I have had a quick look and yes most are snap-in. That is not a huge problem you can just solder some legs on to it. CPC.com is another farnell outlet and they often have free post even on small orders

There are a lot of fake caps on ebay so take care with that - I see someone with 30000
    feedback 100% has a nichicon if it will physically fit.

If just that cap doesnt fix it you would be better posting in the Troubleshooting TV section
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks very much for the info.

I've found the supplier you suggested on eBay so I'll pickup one of those.

I'll start a new thread in the Troubleshooting section as I'm still quite keen to buy some components in.

Thanks again

Comment

For smaller caps I'd recommend badcaps.net.
        For bigger caps you're fine on reputable sellers on eBay.

Comment

Working...
        X