No announcement yet.

70's stereo reciever (Monteverdi?) with flaking green ceramic disk capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70's stereo reciever (Monteverdi?) with flaking green ceramic disk capacitors

So, I'm looking for help with an old stereo reciever (tuner+amp) that I'm trying to fix up; as best I can tell it's from the 70s (discrete components and hand soldering, but no vacuum tubes), and the best I can do to identify it is to say that a (badly worn) sticker seems to say "Monteverdi Model No: CG-4147", which I've found no references to online (other than the fact that apparently CG-4147 is the form you need to get tuition assistance for the US Coast Guard). Based on the construction, it was never a particularly high-end system, but I'd like to fix it up anyway, in large part because this is my first real audio repair project, and I'd like to make my mistakes on something that won't make me regret them as badly

It still works, but there's a pronounced buzz if you turn up the gain, which is unsurprising given the shape the internals are in. The fact that basically all the bigger electrolitic caps show some sign of distress is no more than you would expect from the age, but not many stereos have mouse nests in them (yes, actual mice, the little furry rodents, nested inside the thing; it was just as filthy as you think). Frankly, it's a miracle that it still works at all, and you should be thankful I cleaned it before I took the pictures for this post.

In any case, I can replace the electrolitics easily enough, I've done that on several other repair projects in the past (computer display power boards and the like). Given that this stereo is probably never going make a high-end audiofile happy no matter what I do to it, I wasn't planning on using any "special" audio-specific capacitors, just the standard good quality caps that I'd use for any project (low ESR, name brand, from a reputable source, that sort of thing). If anyone wants to advise me differently, I'd be happy to hear it, but it looks to me like the original caps for the power board and the audio board are the same type, so the original builder didn't seem to think it was important.

But the real thing I'm looking for advice on is some pale green ceramic disk capacitors. There are lots of the "standard" tan ceramic disk capacitors, and they all look fine, as one would expect. But the audio board also has some that are the same basic shape, marked like ceramic capacitors (i.e. "601K" etc.), but they're a pale greenish color instead of tan, and many of them show what look to me like signs of stress. There's this sort of crackled, flaking look to the surface on them; I'm fairly confident it's not external mechanical damage, since nothing else on the board shows any sign of it, and some of them are in places that would be pretty difficult to hit (without touching anything around them) even if you were trying to do it on purpose. It's possible that it's just a problem with some surface coating flaking off due to age, but it seems at least as likely to me that the cracking was caused by some sort of internal expansion, which tends to be bad news for the functional properties of capacitors, regardless of what they're made of.

I've attached a few blowups that show the capacitors in question as well as I can; they're small, in awkward locations, and my good camera (read: not the phone) is out of commission right now. Hopefully they'll be enough for someone to be able to identify them for me.

My first question is just, what are they? My searches have so far failed to find references (or images) that look like what I'm seeing here (though it's entirely possible I just don't know what to search for). Based on shape and marking, they must be small disk capacitors of some kind; if it wasn't for the color and the cracking, I'd think they were standard ceramic disk capacitors. But since they look different, and apparently wear differently, I'm curious what they're actually made of.

Second, do I need to replace them? If it's just some sort of surface coating flaking, and they're standard ceramics underneath, then maybe they're fine and I don't need to worry about it. But if they're actually failing, I might as well replace them when I do all the electrolitics. Of course, this leads naturally to the next question of "what do I replace them with?", which ties back to the first question of what they are. Since there are plenty of "standard" tan ceramic disk caps on the same board, it seems like someone chose to use these instead in the audio pathway (not on the power board, which uses only standard tan ones), which suggests maybe I shouldn't just replace them with "normal" ceramic disk capacitors. But since I don't know what makes them special (other than the color), I don't know.

Anyway, hope this isn't too much of a newbie question; I'd appreciate any help you might have to offer!
    Attached Files

Re: 70's stereo reciever (Monteverdi?) with flaking green ceramic disk capacitors

I beleive thats just wax thats on the caps. They used wax to make sure parts in the r.f. and osc. section did'nt move and change the tuning. The caps should be fine.

Comment

Re: 70's stereo reciever (Monteverdi?) with flaking green ceramic disk capacitors

How about uploading the pictures of the whole unit and all the boards.
      I would concentrate on the power supplies and the amplifier sections first and not touching the Tuner section for now. I doubt that those ceramic cap in the radio sections are bad.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

budm, good call, here's pictures of the two boards, as well as the whole unit (the unit is right side up; the audio board is mounted component side down). I've labeled the suspect ceramic caps in the audio board image to correspond with the names of the images from the first post. You can't always tell from the photo, but a whole lot of the larger electrolitic caps look like they've leaked in one way or another when you inspect them closely (again, not surprising given its age, and the less-than-ideal storage conditions).

R_J, you're right that there's wax on some of them, but I don't think it's on all of them. In particular, the one I've labeled "cap 2" definitely has wax on it, but the others are far away from the area that's had wax dribbled on it; like I said, the neighboring tan ceramic caps don't look that way, so I don't think it's just wax everywhere. That said, it's possible that the green ones were coated with wax (or something else) before assembly, and it's that coating that's cracking here. Should I try to scratch it off, or does that risk further damage?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by arisian View Post
          So, I'm looking for help with an old stereo reciever (tuner+amp) that I'm trying to fix up; as best I can tell it's from the 70s (discrete components and hand soldering, but no vacuum tubes), and the best I can do to identify it is to say that a (badly worn) sticker seems to say "Monteverdi Model No: CG-4147", which I've found no references to online (other than the fact that apparently CG-4147 is the form you need to get tuition assistance for the US Coast Guard). Based on the construction, it was never a particularly high-end system, but I'd like to fix it up anyway, in large part because this is my first real audio repair project, and I'd like to make my mistakes on something that won't make me regret them as badly

It still works, but there's a pronounced buzz if you turn up the gain, which is unsurprising given the shape the internals are in. The fact that basically all the bigger electrolitic caps show some sign of distress is no more than you would expect from the age, but not many stereos have mouse nests in them (yes, actual mice, the little furry rodents, nested inside the thing; it was just as filthy as you think). Frankly, it's a miracle that it still works at all, and you should be thankful I cleaned it before I took the pictures for this post.

In any case, I can replace the electrolitics easily enough, I've done that on several other repair projects in the past (computer display power boards and the like). Given that this stereo is probably never going make a high-end audiofile happy no matter what I do to it, I wasn't planning on using any "special" audio-specific capacitors, just the standard good quality caps that I'd use for any project (low ESR, name brand, from a reputable source, that sort of thing). If anyone wants to advise me differently, I'd be happy to hear it, but it looks to me like the original caps for the power board and the audio board are the same type, so the original builder didn't seem to think it was important.

But the real thing I'm looking for advice on is some pale green ceramic disk capacitors. There are lots of the "standard" tan ceramic disk capacitors, and they all look fine, as one would expect. But the audio board also has some that are the same basic shape, marked like ceramic capacitors (i.e. "601K" etc.), but they're a pale greenish color instead of tan, and many of them show what look to me like signs of stress. There's this sort of crackled, flaking look to the surface on them; I'm fairly confident it's not external mechanical damage, since nothing else on the board shows any sign of it, and some of them are in places that would be pretty difficult to hit (without touching anything around them) even if you were trying to do it on purpose. It's possible that it's just a problem with some surface coating flaking off due to age, but it seems at least as likely to me that the cracking was caused by some sort of internal expansion, which tends to be bad news for the functional properties of capacitors, regardless of what they're made of.

I've attached a few blowups that show the capacitors in question as well as I can; they're small, in awkward locations, and my good camera (read: not the phone) is out of commission right now. Hopefully they'll be enough for someone to be able to identify them for me.

My first question is just, what are they? My searches have so far failed to find references (or images) that look like what I'm seeing here (though it's entirely possible I just don't know what to search for). Based on shape and marking, they must be small disk capacitors of some kind; if it wasn't for the color and the cracking, I'd think they were standard ceramic disk capacitors. But since they look different, and apparently wear differently, I'm curious what they're actually made of.

Second, do I need to replace them? If it's just some sort of surface coating flaking, and they're standard ceramics underneath, then maybe they're fine and I don't need to worry about it. But if they're actually failing, I might as well replace them when I do all the electrolitics. Of course, this leads naturally to the next question of "what do I replace them with?", which ties back to the first question of what they are. Since there are plenty of "standard" tan ceramic disk caps on the same board, it seems like someone chose to use these instead in the audio pathway (not on the power board, which uses only standard tan ones), which suggests maybe I shouldn't just replace them with "normal" ceramic disk capacitors. But since I don't know what makes them special (other than the color), I don't know.

Anyway, hope this isn't too much of a newbie question; I'd appreciate any help you might have to offer!
          To me, looks like the caps failed without visual signs of being bad...
          The caps probably just got dried up...
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Lloyds Monteverdi .
            That unit probably can put out 3~5 Watts per channel, it uses small TO-92 output Transistors with heatsinks on them and small power transformer with 1500uF 25V main filter cap.
            And those days the marketing probably claims to have 50W instantaneous peak-to-peak!
            I would not really call it a real stereo, more like clock radio with 2 channels.
            I used to fix lots of those craps in the 70's, LLOYDS, Sounddesign, etc. Now lots of people think of them as vintage.
            Last edited by budm; 07-20-2016, 09:46 PM.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I wouldn't be worried about those ceramic disc capacitors. I am more worried on the electrolytics in the PSU! Most likely that it is where you hum comes from too.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                I wouldn't be worried about those ceramic disc capacitors. I am more worried on the electrolytics in the PSU! Most likely that it is where you hum comes from too.
                Oh, I *know* those need to be replaced; like I said, if you look carefully a lot of them show signs of having leaked, and the ones that don't are probably dried out anyway. I plan to replace *all* of the electrolitics, on both boards.

The real question is, should I be replacing any of the ceramics as well. Basically, before I put in an order for some new caps, I want to make sure I'm ordering everything I'll need. It sounds like the consensus is that the ceramics are probably fine, and whatever the flaking is I shouldn't worry about it (which is exactly what I was hoping to hear, since it means less parts to replace).

budm, thanks for the info on the unit! Your description sounds about right given the construction, and I did notice it was hooked up to 8ohm, 50W speakers, which I thought was probably a bit optimistic . Honestly, I'm fixing it partly because it makes me think of my grandfather (who was the original owner), and partly because I want some lower-stakes practice before I start working on more expensive stuff. It's definitely not a real hi-fi system, though it definitely has a nice "vintage" look to it.

I also noticed the 1500uF 25V main filter cap and thought that seemed small; do you think it's worth replacing it with something beefier? Or is there no point given that the heat from the linear regulators is already the limiting factor? My prior experience with electronics has all been much newer, computer-related work (all using switching power circuits), so I don't have a good feel for this kind of stuff yet.

Comment

Just about everybody I knew growing up had stuff like that. Nobody liked it but couldn't afford anything better. I'm afraid you won't like the sound either, unless all you've heard is earbuds on your zune.
                  sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

I would do the recapping, yes. But I wouldn't even touch the ceramic discs unless they blew up or something. There is no need for that yet what I can see.

The main filter cap is small, but remember the unit doesn't have a lot of audio to start with. If it makes you feel better, you can increase the voltage rating a notch to 35V and put a 2200uF long life rated capacitor in it like Panasonic FM series. I tend to stick with Panasonic, Nichicon and Rubycon capacitors. Again, this main filter upgrade isn't really needed here.

Comment

Ok, I'll go ahead with the recapping and leave the ceramics alone. Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

Disc ceramics are not dipped in wax when produced. I'm assuming that you confirmed that the flaking is actually wax? If so, it was gooped onto the parts in the tuner section to keep things dry and from moving around. As for the buzzing noise, does it buzz only in tuner mode, or in other modes as well? Buzz is different than hum. Any difference in operation between AM and FM?

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                        To me, looks like the caps failed without visual signs of being bad...
                        The caps probably just got dried up...
                        ???Disc ceramics do not dry up, because they were never wet in the first place. I have seen a few shorted or leaky, but failure of disc ceramic caps is unusual to say the least.

The photos show that the unit has quite a bit of rusting on the chassis. Therefore, have a close look at ground lugs and any place where the pcb is screwed to the chassis to obtain ground.
                        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post

???Disc ceramics do not dry up, because they were never wet in the first place. I have seen a few shorted or leaky, but failure of disc ceramic caps is unusual to say the least.

The photos show that the unit has quite a bit of rusting on the chassis. Therefore, have a close look at ground lugs and any place where the pcb is screwed to the chassis to obtain ground.
                          I was talking about the electrolytic caps... And the rust does look like it could be mouse pee damage or the like...
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Disc ceramics are not dipped in wax when produced.
                            I guess I should have said "Encapsulation: Phenolic coated, wax impregnated"

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                              ...the rust does look like it could be mouse pee damage or the like...
                              Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what caused the rust; the worst rusted area is actually well away from any components that could have leaked. I do think that the greening ceramic caps are coated in <i>something</i>, because even the ones that are nowhere near the wax-covered part of the board show the flaking, and none of the other components surrounding them are coated in anything. I'm still not sure exactly what makes the green ones different from the orange ones, but when I tried gently scraping at the flaking part, it did seem like some kind of waxy substance on the surface; the caps themselves don't seem to have mechanical damage, which was my initial concern.

I've ordered the replacement electrolitics (CapLeaker's advice on brands matches my own oppinions), so I'll report back once I've gotten them and done the swap.

Oh, and the "hum" has nothing to do with the source, and everything to do with the volume set on the amp; it happens even when an un-connected source is selected, and it happens with both speakers and headphones (though with the headphones, it's a lot less noticable at normal listening volume). I'm pretty sure that the main filter cap is the primary culprit, but some of the other dodgy looking caps are probably contributing. Hopefully, the bad caps are the only contributing factor; I guess I'll find out after I replace them

Comment

Originally posted by arisian View Post
                                Oh, and the "hum" has nothing to do with the source, and everything to do with the volume set on the amp; it happens even when an un-connected source is selected, and it happens with both speakers and headphones...
                                The hum is just going to be a result of the amp design itself. It's very common on low end amps and such, caps won't fix it.

Comment

Well, that all depends upon the actual level of the hum. Inexpensive amplifiers have a higher noise floor than audiophile amps, but at normal listening levels the background noise is not an issue. My guess is that the power supply isn't filtered any more, plus possible problems with output coupling caps and other places in the amp that need a.c. ground. I still say look for ground connections that are obtained by screws on the pc boards. Installing an external star washer at those points is a great solution.
                                  Is it plugged in?

Comment

Well, that all depends upon the actual level of the hum. Inexpensive amplifiers have a higher noise floor than audiophile amps, but at normal listening levels the background noise is not an issue. My guess is that the power supply isn't filtered any more, plus possible problems with output coupling caps and other places in the amp that need a.c. ground. I still say look for ground connections that are obtained by screws on the pc boards. Installing an external star washer at those points is a great solution.
                                    Yep, I would replace the electrolytic caps...
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Caps have been replaced, and the sound is much better

There's still a faint hum at very high gain, but I'm pretty sure it's due to poor grounding practices rather than capacitors, and it's not bothersome at normal listening levels. The overall sound quality isn't that impressive; it was a cheap unit to start with, after all, but it's still better than the cheap bookshelf unit I've got in my office now. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford an actual HiFi system, but until then this is an improvement over what I've been using.

All in all a successful project: a useable result, a good learning experience, and a low budget (caps are cheap) =)

Comment

Nice to hear that it's fixed and working a lot better!
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X