• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extending wifi

it's mostly the shortwave afaik.

Comment

Speaking of extending wifi, I'm curious: I have a Belkin N750 DB, and its mainboard has mini-coax jacks at three points on the board which are used as 2.4GHz antennae. I have been considering buying three 2.4GHz antennae from the local surplus place, which have mini-coax plugs, and hooking them up/attaching them to its shell, to improve signal strength.

Does that sound like it would work?
      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

They should work. You might have to enable them in the router firmware.

Comment

the sockets have switches in them, they will just work.
          the antenna's are probably 2.5dB junk though.

it would be better if you found some RP-SMA sockets with tails and micro-connectors on them.
          then you could get some decent 8dB antenna's!

unfortunatly i doubt you will find such a thing.

Comment

At least he'd be able to position the external antennas and that can help in many situations.

Comment

I finally put this router into service,, last night because I replaced my sister-in-laws' aging 5101u modem with a new CMD31t (yay DOCSIS 3), and got rid of the Comcast-provided Netgear router. The signal-strength only seems a little bit better, but at least its a faster router, and seems to have greater abilities.

But I still plan on adding antennas, ALTHOUGH I may try that trick where you deflect the signal on one side since it is on a corner of the house and doesn't need to travel outside the wall, obviously.

Question, should I go ahead and run anything which can on the 5GHz side, just for the sake of not being on the congested 2.4GHz side? (This is a Victorian house which is partitioned into 6 units, next to two apartment complexes.
              Last edited by Logistics; 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM. Reason: additional comments

Comment

@Logistics, 5Ghz doesn't penetrate wall or have the range of 2.4Ghz, but give it a try, nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Comment

Well, the only thing I have that can do 5GHz is my main rig, which is right on the other side of the wall from me in my sisters' apartment. I get full bars at 5GHz since I'm so close.

My nephew asked me to hard-line his Xbox 360 to the router over LAN because he felt it was slow over wireless. I was reluctant to do this because I don't want him and his video games stealing all the bandwidth while the rest of us connecting wirelessly suffer slower connections. BUT does anyone know if that is truly what happens or am I being paranoid? Everything seems okay, and the bit of flaky behavior everyone was experiencing seems to have disappeared. However, I also changed to a better wireless channel after scanning my area, and that may be the whole reason its working better.

That confusion... when you change too many factors at one time.

Comment

games use hardly any bandwidth, but they need low latency.
                    ie - reaction speed is key, so wired is best.

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
                      My nephew asked me to hard-line his Xbox 360 to the router over LAN because he felt it was slow over wireless. I was reluctant to do this because I don't want him and his video games stealing all the bandwidth while the rest of us connecting wirelessly suffer slower connections. BUT does anyone know if that is truly what happens or am I being paranoid?
                      That confusion... when you change too many factors at one time.
                      Yes, if he ever uses it to download complete games or DLCs and stuff like that. I've seen some pretty good bandwidth limiting features in the Shibby TomatoUSB firmware, so I'd recommend using that firmware or something like it that can limit bandwidth by IP. You would need to assign the Xbox's MAC Address a static IP first on the router, to make sure it gets the same one from the DHCP server each time it connects.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

He only uses it to play games, but not download them. He's constantly playing Halo and Battlefield, which does make a noticable dent in response when we try to stream a movie over the internet or I try to stream a 3-hour long trance track from YouTube. Still annoying, which is why I want to limit his games' bandwidth hogging. But this is on top of my nephews's little brother using his iPad to stream things, his mother streaming things with her iPad, my wife streaming movies with her laptop or iPad, etc. I don't know if a costly Cisco router could handle all this better or if this just life. lol!

As far as TomatoUSB is concerned, it appears that nothing exists for the N750 DB, but the WNR2000 which was provided by Comcast, originally does seem to be moddable. Maybe I'll hook up the WNR2000 and just put his Xbox on it so the Belkin can do all the wireless in the house. Muahaha!
                        Last edited by Logistics; 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
                          He only uses it to play games, but not download them. He's constantly playing Halo and Battlefield, which does make a noticable dent in response when we try to stream a movie over the internet or I try to stream a 3-hour long trance track from YouTube. Still annoying, which is why I want to limit his games' bandwidth hogging. But this is on top of my nephews's little brother using his iPad to stream things, his mother streaming things with her iPad, my wife streaming movies with her laptop or iPad, etc.
                          Sadly this sounds like my place except there are a few more playing games/ Youtube /Netflix all at the same time.
                          Try setting up QoS (Quality of Service).

Comment

I actually found that it's just the two, original iPads which seem to drop, sporadically when streaming YouTube and such. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with other devices in the house. I have a few HTC Evo 4G's with custom ROMs in the house which act as media players, and they never drop while running YouTube.

Comment

Gargoyle firmware is the best firmware I've used so far. Since it's based on OpenWRT, the underlying code is far, far more stable and polished than DD-WRT could ever hope to be.

This has been running on a thrift store DIR-615C1 for the better part of a year now. I highly recommend you take a look at their download page to get a good idea of which models are supported (Each filename has the model in it). Either that or get something you can run a Shibby Tomato build on. As far as I'm concerned, and in my experience, DD-WRT is more often worse than stock firmware. It is the Ubuntu Linux of Router Firmwares. Tries to be all-encompassing, and doesn't run well on anything in the end.
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

gargoyle has nice menu screens

Comment

Working...
                                X