how to get rid of wifi mooches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to get rid of wifi mooches

During a non-intrusive survey, I found wireless networks (all were Belkin) where the main SSID had security, but the guest SSID did not - could this be an omission in a setup wizard or something with the latest Belkin routers being shipped with pre-set security on the main SSID but none on the guest SSID?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

No idea but I never trust things that are set up for you already. A flaw in their code generation or such can lead to security holes, I prefer to do it my own way.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

The answer to your question is...
        There is NO WAY using Wireless to COMPLETELY get rid of bandwidth mooches.
        802.1 protocol has the weakest security of them all!! here is why...no matter what you do you are sending your packets out into the air...if someone has a wireless card and they can associate with your access point they can capture your traffic and decode it.
        There have been many advances in security for this protocol, BUT as long as you are sending packets out to the airwaves someone can capture them. Some encryption standards are stronger but still crackable..time is the only variable here. This means that if someone has enough time and WANTS to invest the time to get into your wireless network they WILL. There is NOTHING you can do to stop it- PERIOD. Stopping SSId broadcasts will only go so far, mac filtering - big whoop- I just spoof your MAC and knock you off the network. BIG deal... I have done many intrusion tests for companies and most time I can have their network within hours no matter what kind of encryption they use...your strongest link is to use WPA2 and use a HIGHLY strong passphrase with no common words in it. Words are a shortcut to cracking and net hackers love it when people use words in their passphrases, it cuts down the time it takes to decrypt the packets. Use special characters, numbers, upper case and lower case letters in a way that does not form a word or common sequence with numbers, ie ABC or 123- you get the idea. This is your best defense if you MUST use wireless.
        Your only measure against hacking your network security is to remain WIRED- Period.

Comment

pardon me, but its not advisable advertising openly that you did this... it is a FELONY to intrude on someone else's network without their permission. This is investigated by the FEDS..and punishable. Go ahead...look it up...might think twice about posting something like this in public next time ;-)

Comment

LOL at this. Have fun cracking WPA-2 with a long pass-phrase, even with common words in it. Let my grandchildren know how it turns out. After that you'll have to deal with the SSL encrypted contents, but I guess after the WPA crack it will be a piece of cake.

Plus which feds? FBI will only investigate if there is financial damage over a certain amount. Some of these guys are in NZ/Aus and I haven't really looked in on their laws. All I know is that they give you life for farting too loudly.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB View Post
              All I know is that they give you life for farting too loudly.
              I love it!
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Working...
              X