EMU 1820M not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMU 1820M not working properly

REPLACE THOSE TWO CAPACITORS EVEN IF THEY LOOKS GOOD.

I replaced them and now all works! Must say that I use 1000 uF instead of 680 uF and it is more than ok.

Comment

Originally posted by lestra View Post

I replaced them and now all works! Must say that I use 1000 uF instead of 680 uF and it is more than ok.
      Indeed, a visual check will not find all bad caps, as the saying around here goes: "All bulging caps have failed, but not all failed caps bulge"

Good to see you fixed it
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by lestra View Post

I have 2 1820's. I bought a used one a year ago when the first one failed. Now they both are bad, so I ordered caps for both. For a quick temporary fix I also put in a couple of 1000uf that I had on hand to replace the 680uf caps and I'm back in business until the new ones arrive.
        Thanks so much for your helpful posts!!!

Allen

Comment

Thank you all for great advice. Had the same issue. Replaced caps, now all is fine.
          I have another issue - while recording in Vegas, I can't record more than 1 track, especially when recording on line Ins - L&R (like keyboard) - the sound is kind of "stammering".

Recording 1 mike on mike In is most of the time is OK, but sometimes I have the same issue. Restarting Vegas helps (with 1 mike).
          Not using any VST plugins while recording.

While recording in Adobe Audition - I don't have such an issues.

Any help?

Comment

Does anyone have the full list of caps to be replaced?

Just want to replace them all now...

Thanks again.

Comment

I have the onyx1640i Behringer ADA 8000, emu 1820 and having issues getting everything to connect and work. This is for my church recording services and music. Haven't used this particular set up in several year, because the newer system someone broke into the church and stole music equipment and computer sys's. Can someone walk me thru the correct way to set this up as the company that did this for about 5 years ago is no longer in business. And these pieces are not in use these days.

Comment

I am beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out!

Comment

Well, despite this not being the (entirely appropriate) thread for such issues, would it be safe to assume you're attemting to... record multi-channel audio, via the 1820?

Both by the connections that seem to be available, AND the well-known doubtful quality of (much, if not most) Behringer gear, you're probably better off skipping the ADA8000 altogether.

As far as i can figure, you have two options:

1) simplest way - record the two-channel main output of the Onyx; just hook up the main outs to a pair of line-level inputs on the 1820. This is assuming that a) you already have the 1820 installed & running on the computer you intend to record on, and b) you insist on using the 1820
                  2) even simpler way - connect the Onyx straight to the computer. You'll need a Firewire card for that, they're cheap enough, and you'll want a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset on it.
                  Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Hi, very interesting place is this, lots to read but this post brought me here, I'm thinking of buying a 1820m tomorrow, question is, do they ALL go wonky at some point?, is it bad design or just cheap parts?, after reading this I just get a feeling that I'll get it set up, and instead of pristine sounds, all I'll have is a bank of LED's, staring at me in silence, saying, "you were warned", so, in 2 minds here, what you guys who have them think?, is it worth a punt?, the guy wants £100 for it, upgrading from a audiophile 24/96, so should be quite a difference, I dunno, choices choices

Comment

Cheap parts, bad capacitors. Replace them with decent ones and you will be fine.
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi All,
                        I just registered myself after finding this forum to my great delight! It was indeed indeed very comforting to know that many haven't given up on there EMUs & still continue using it.

I recently bought,unwittingly I must add, a nearly new 1616m cardbus version.The unit looks quite new & unused. Then I decided to change all the caps once & for all before start using it. However, I came upon a rather unusual problem!

I am unable to diassemble it for the life of me! The problem is that unlike all the other models, this particular unit has 2 pcbs which are mounted back to back or rather front to front as you may be able to see on the photographs.I removed the top lid easily, but the bottom plate wouldn't budge & I'm unable to remove either of these boards!

Have any one of you successfully opened up this unit? If so please help! I am so near yet so far!

Thanks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like those multi-way connectors in the middle of the board in image 3 may be soldered on both ends, holding the boards together. If that is the case you would have to desolder them first to separate the boards.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks! The bottom part of the casing is U shaped with both the front & back panels seem to deattachable, but these have plexi glass in addition! All the sockets & controls are soldered on to the pcbs. However. I tried to pull the 3 volume knobs to no avail! Although these socketed pins are soldered on to their repective boards & connected via the male/female sockets. So I fear that it would be impossible to realign these once/if unsoldered!

I searched for the service manual without success! They must have assembled this in a sequence, so I should follow the reverse of this shouldn't I? If only I knew how to lift the top pcb, then I'd have access to the bottom board as well.

Perhaps anyone who has done this on a 1616m cardbus can help?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Aura5; 10-17-2014, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I had a closer look at my unit & see these pins are actually going into sockets on both boards! I had only access to to the top back side of the pcb & can see the socket soldered on to it, & not the pins!

I just found these photos taken by another modder & it looks like he had actually desoldered or cut/bent these pins! Rather confusing!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Aura5; 10-17-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

It looks to me like there is a socket on the bottom and very long pins on the top. I can't see sockets on both. But that is good news, as long as there is a socket somewhere, you should be fine.

What I do see though is that from his photos there is one of the panels removed. It looks like you have to unscrew the two screws from the MIDI connector and the GND screw next to it, before you can remove the top PCB.
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks,I will do that as you've suggested. I could be wrong w.r,t sockets on both boards. It's quite difficult to get a good view of the lower board!

B.t.w Strangely, this "bad caps" problem is reported mostly with 1820 & 1210s but none with 1616m cardbus/pci units! Could it be that these were manufactured after the other two hence have better caps? I could barely see these!

All these units have NJM2608 op amps, so I thought I'd swap these to NE5532s at the same time. Now I gather that this would only give marginal or no noticeable improvement to the overall sound! Is this true? If so is it worth all this effort?
                                  Last edited by Aura5; 10-18-2014, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I see G-Luxon capacitors in your photos. That is the same brand as the other models, if I am not mistaken. They are not considered to be anything special.

There could be many reasons for no apparent reports of capacitor failure in the 1616M. Maybe it runs cooler, the circuit was redesigned, they are newer and haven't failed yet, or simply that less people have one and nobody has written about it yet.

I don't know about the op-amps. If you think you can replace them easily and the price is right.. why not? Since you want to replace the capacitors you're going to work on it anyway. If they are better performing, you will surely not lose any quality. The worst that could happen is it just sounds the same.

I do notice you said in your first post you want to replace the capacitors before using it... I think this is a bad idea. I would try it as is for now so you have a comparison in case something doesn't work right afterwards. Or you will be asking yourself - did I do something wrong, or was it like that when I got it?
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Yes, these are the same brand caps found as on all the other models. I do remember reading somewhere that the 1616m cardbus version was released after the 1820 & 1210 models, so perhaps, EMU employed better engineering as you suggest?

I did want to change both the caps & all the NJM2068 op amps to NE5532 as these have quite similar specs, except for higher GBW in 2068, while the NE5532 has slightly better slew rate. However, I just received a mail from someone who has actually done this mod, saying he couldn't find any worthwhile improvement after the mod, except for the low freq was a bit tighter! He also mentioned that it was quite difficult to open it, but didn't give any details despite my repeated requests! He had even opened the cardbus & replaced a few components! Actually, the pics of the boards in my earlier post are from his mod!

You're absolutely right about not trying it 1st as it is, makes a lot of sense indeed. I will do this so as you have pointed out I'd have some reference to compare afterwards! Why didn't I think of this before?

Cheers.
                                      Last edited by Aura5; 10-18-2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aura5 View Post
                                        You're absolutely right about not trying it 1st as it is, makes a lot of sense indeed. I will do this so as you have pointed out I'd have some reference to compare afterwards! Why didn't I think of this before?
                                        It's the sort of idea you usually only have after you make the mistake!
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

True...very true...in real life too, but we're never the less wiser for it may I add!

Comment

Working...
                                          X