Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm considering only using my laptop from now on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm considering only using my laptop from now on...

Currently I use a Compaq PC hooked up to my Dell 23" LCD...
    I'm considering just letting it go on Craigslist and just hook my LCD up to my laptop...
    I'd use the nice graphics card from the Compaq in the Bedside PC and use the lame Geforce 6200 in the Compaq (since the onboard VGA port is dead for some reason; probably the nShitia chipset)...
    Do you think it's an OK idea?
    Specs of Compaq:
    -CPU: Athlon 7550 (2.5GHz)
    -RAM: 3GB DDR2
    -HDD: Seagate 160GB
    -Graphics: GeForce 8600GTS 256MB

Specs of laptop:
    -Lenovo IdeaPad V570
    -CPU: Core i5 2.3GHz quadthread (dual-core with HT) Turbo Boost to 2.9GHz
    -RAM: 6GB DDR3
    -HDD: 640GB WD
    -Graphics: Intel HD 3000
    -OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit + Windows 8 Developer Preview

Do you think I should just hold on to the Compaq or do you think I should use the Lenovo... I mean, this nice Lenovo laptop doesn't do a lot of good sitting on the table unused lol...
    Also, how much do you think I could sell the Compaq CQ5107C for? (I'd put a legit Vista install on it using the product key on it instead of my *alternative* Windows 7)...

Re: I'm considering only using my laptop from now on...

No way... Why wear out a puny 60W adapter that's enclosed in a plastic chassis with zero ventilation when you can abuse a full-fledged desktop with impunity.

Not to mention that the wrist rest on laptops dull in color due to hand sweat after extended use.

Laptops are not desktop replacements.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

1. I'd be using an External keyboard
      2. Aren't these big laptops pretty much marketed as desktop replacements?

The thing about the power adapter is a good point though for sure.

Comment

High-performance laptops are not a good idea if you ask me...

The idea of them started out as a way for 3D-Designers to be able to take their projects away from their office.

Now they're selling laptops with quad core CPUs and near desktop-class videocards... Laptops shouldn't run hot. It defies their original concept... If you get a quad-core laptop with a Geforce 525/540m class GPU, it's ostensibly a reasonably good gaming platform but why do it? You can get a significantly more powerful abuse-tolerant desktop for a lot less.

If you get a quad-core laptop with plain integrated video, then what's the point of all that processing power... And I still didn't mention the mandatory glossy screen. Why stare at that power-optimized LCD when you can use a full-fledged LCD?

If someone needs a laptop, they should get something reasonably fast that runs reasonably cool and is cheap. Why? Wear. Sure the insides can last a long time (They use tantalum caps), but like I said, the outside will wear. Get something you won't be attached to and will be able to toss in a few years.

Following this logic, why would you want to get something souped up to begin with.

Buying a performance laptop is like buying a Lambourghini and driving it in Alberta throughout the winter.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I get that games will run like ahit. Actually, Minecraft is pretty much unplayable. But, as I do more work on my computer and less games, that becomes less important.
          As stated, my laptop has Intel integrated graphics. So it does run quite cool. Also because it has a 5400RPM hard drive and a good cooling system (I think, lol!)

This laptop is wwwaayyy too big to carry around; that's what my MacBook Air is for...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Aren't these big laptops pretty much marketed as desktop replacements?
            They key word being MARKETED.

They are not a replacement... Laptops are laptops. Desktops are desktops.

Laptops should be a portable as possible given screen size/resolution needs.

Now, if you need a laptop, there are features that may be considered "souped up" that may have merit. things like metal construction, decent graphics (If needed), etc.

In my case for instance, I do all my college work On My dell latitude d630. The reason is mainly because my work involves both note taking and lab work, both of which a laptop is essential (there are school desktops for labs, but due various reasons, they suck). I also do most of my homework and projects on it as well. Having all of it under one computer is essential.

It also sees a lot of home and travel use, the former being for various reasons (desktop location, OS, lazyness , etc.)

After evaluating my usage, I came up with these requirements for a college laptop for me:

-Durable. No plastic crap (I have had clumsy moments now and then, last semester was a doozy)
            -Decent power. Pentium M range or better. Core2 range if within budget.
            -Good battery life, or at least the capability after battery replacement
            -Not too heavy/large. I use it daily and it is often being lugged
            -Good linux compatibility

As luck would have it, I came across the D630 the day before my birthday last summer and it was gifted as an birthday/ HS graduation present. It fit all the requirements and for what I do, it fills the role perfectly.

For you, shovenose, I'd suggest you spend a few days figuring out your needs before you buy anything... you may even find that a laptop isn't what you need after all.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Um... hold on one sec.
              I already own the Lenovo laptop!

I'm just trying to figure out if using it as my desktop computer would make sense so I can sell my big PC...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                Um... hold on one sec.
                I already own the Lenovo laptop!

I'm just trying to figure out if using it as my desktop computer would make sense so I can sell my big PC...
                I know, I was just describing how one would see what fits... If the lenovo didn't come close to fitting, then sell it and buy something that fits better.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Your desktop is still much better than all 3 of mine...

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    I know, I was just describing how one would see what fits... If the lenovo didn't come close to fitting, then sell it and buy something that fits better.
                    I love my Lenovo laptop! Lol!

Again, the point of this thread is for me to get advice as to whether I should use my Laptop or my main Desktop as my main computer...

Comment

I wouldn't....but I'm not a fan of frail little laptops when I have my bulletproof desktop in front of me.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I like my laptop having four hours of life and days on standby even if it costs me my ability to play modern games. There's also that modern wonder of Remote Desktop so if your old Pentium M can't handle Youtube, just connect to your box at home and play it through that.
                        But hey, you make it sound like there are no decent DOS/9x games around.
                        Nobody will laugh at you for playing Alien Carnage though they might ask what Indie game studio released it.
                        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          High-performance laptops are not a good idea if you ask me...

Laptops shouldn't run hot. It defies their original concept... If you get a quad-core laptop with a Geforce 525/540m class GPU, it's ostensibly a reasonably good gaming platform but why do it? You can get a significantly more powerful abuse-tolerant desktop for a lot less.

Buying a performance laptop is like buying a Lambourghini and driving it in Alberta throughout the winter.
                          Wow, can't believe I agree with an entire Mockingbird post even the part about Alberta

I use a moderate laptop ($250.00 3 year old D830) and if I need more, I RDP into the desktop system, or on rare occasions, get off my ass and go to the desktop machine.
                          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Luckily I was able to swipe a HP Compaq 8710p from my friend for $50. It's a bit massive, 17.3", with a T7500 and Nvidia NVS 320M graphics card, it runs Autodesk AutoCAD and Inventor extremely well which is good for when I work on my projects for college. I no longer use my desktop anymore as this laptop does everything I need to.

Comment

My laptop does EVERYTHING I need except have a big screen...
                              That's why I want to use it.

But I guess we've come to the conclusion that I should just use my lousy desktop

Comment

Well, we just offered our opinions. If you want to use your laptop and get rid of your desktop, knock yourself out my friend!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  Well, we just offered our opinions. If you want to use your laptop and get rid of your desktop, knock yourself out my friend!
                                  It soudhns like y'all got a good argument, so for now I'll continue using my desktop.
                                  But when I get an SSD for my laptop this Compaq shit's gonna get sold

Comment

I'm also in agreeance with the opinions articulated in this thread, but something else I'd like to add is that troubleshooting a laptop is not nigh as easy and workable as troubleshooting a desktop. In a laptop, you can only replace the RAM, battery, HDD, and AC adapter with ease; if something else goes wrong it will likely involve recapping it (which isn't as easy as it would be on a desktop), reflowing it (similar can be said of that), or the logic board would need replacing since the components are so integrated and compact by comparison....

But I do think that, like with any kind of system that isn't inherently defective, treat it well and don't push it very hard ad nauseam and it will probably last you a good while. I'd say that applies for laptops and desktops (for the sake of the electricity bill, I would admonish not running it 24/7 and exercising the battery in the case of the laptop so as to prevent it from drying out, but, of course, you're free to use it as you so wish... and I wouldn't put it through too many power cycles either, for the sake of thermal expansion). While I do, as stated, agree with the insight offered in this thread already, I doubt it'd be as easy or conveniencing to lug your desktop around like you could your laptop, though I don't recommend abusing the laptop in that regard.

And, of course, laptops are not nearly as easy to upgrade, and for that matter just aren't as upgradeable. I know you have a solidified setup in performance but just to add. Also, both the G84 (8600 GTS) and NV44 (GeForce 6200) have bumpgate problems (with their underfill) that no amount of reflowing or reballing can permanently solve. They will eventually stop working, perhaps sooner than later. Since it's a desktop, however, it can be tiffed that it would be a decent lifetime for a graphics card, but even then, they could prematurely die. So, you may either consider a graphics card replacement from AMD/ATI for your desktop if you use it again or remain a stickler for your laptop (assuming you're not that much of a gamer - last I checked, Intel's drivers are not very compatible with a great range of 3D games).

Last thing, I would keep the temperatures in your laptop below 70C (or 158F) at the very least, at all times. Your CPU may be able to handle it but the rest of the components will eventually suffer the ramifications, I would think...
                                    Last edited by Wester547; 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for the thoughts
                                      But there are some new developments: I am now forced to use my Lenovo laptop as pretty much my only/main computer. Why? Because my last grade report was pretty bad and so I'm pretty much banned so I can't use my desktop computers (I had to put them in the corner ) but I can still use my laptop *for school stuff* and whatnot...
                                      Of course, right now I'm on here and playing games because my mom's not home... but point being this laptop's gonna have to for a while.
                                      The good news? I might get a 64GB Kingston SSD for it next Saturday

Comment

I would have at least one desktop and one laptop. Both are useful and neither can replace the other.

One problem with running a laptop as a desktop is that the battery is going to be fully charged most of the time - which I believe isn't a good thing for its lifespan - but neither is taking it out and leaving it discharged.

And as someone else said, a high-performance laptop can be an overheating nightmare. I would rather run games and such on my desktop (yeah I don't do as much gaming now as I did either, but when I do, I want it to work well!)
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X