HP W22 Eliminate AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP W22 Eliminate AC

I would like to eliminate the AC power section and run DC voltage. I've replaced the CCFL's with LED's (12V DC). The conversion looks excellent. It would be a nice bonus if I could get rid of the AC board.
    This is a HP W22 monitor ( I have three ), two more to fix.
    I want to power the monitor from one AC/DC power brick. If it's not doable this is still a win.
    Thanks for any guidance.
    Attached Files

Re: HP W22 Eliminate AC

This monitor only uses 12v and 5v, so check the current consumption of the 5v supply and we'll see what can be done.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Will do
      Thank You

Comment

5V is less than 1 watt (.7)
        I measured one of the three 5V wires, they are common (same source). Is that correct?

Comment

Was your CCFL > LED conversion a kit or a custom mod by yourself? I'm wanting to convert a few Dell monitors that I have.
          System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by Akaister View Post
            5V is less than 1 watt (.7)
            I measured one of the three 5V wires, they are common (same source). Is that correct?
            Not necessarily. You could measure the current through one wire, and disconnect the others. Only do this briefly as the wires are multiplied for a higher current rating.

When you say .7; do you mean 0.7 watts (140mA) or 700mA?

If the current consumption is only 140mA, then a 7805 on a small heatsink will be fine. It will dissipate 1W at 140mA, with 12V fixed input. You could bolt it to the LCD frame for good heatsinking. Remember to add some caps across the input and output for stability of the regulator; 330n or 470n each will be fine.
            Last edited by tom66; 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

tom66,
              Yes, 140 ma @ 5V
              Is there anything more than supplying 12/5Volt DC? I have a power supply brick with both voltages.
              Thanks
              dumpystig,
              I bought 15 meters of smd 3528 led’s (600 led’s). I used 58 top and bottom 116 total. Lots of time spent gathering info, my concerns were color temp and light banding. I had a plan before I started and it worked out. I’m starting #2 and will be taking lots of pictures. It’s a easy project.
              Led’s less than $6.00 per monitor, eBay.

Comment

tom66,
                Yes, 140 ma @ 5V
                Is there anything more than supplying 12/5Volt DC? I have a power supply brick with both voltages.
                Thanks
                A 7805 can produce 5V from a 12V input so you would only need 12V.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

tom66,
                  Success, I just removed the AC board, that felt real good. I used the 12V/5V brick, no problems.
                  This is only temporary, I’m going to use the 7805 you suggested. Looks like great solution for 5 volts. I really appreciate the help on this.
                  Thank you
                  Take Care

Comment

tom66,
                    Success, I just removed the AC board, that felt real good. I used the 12V/5V brick, no problems.
                    This is only temporary, I’m going to use the 7805 you suggested. Looks like great solution for 5 volts. I really appreciate the help on this.
                    Thank you
                    Take Care
                    Just remember to use a heatsink on the 7805 for maximum reliability.

Enjoy your LED monitor. I made an LED monitor too. My rather hastily made 15" LED monitor was made when I couldn't fix the CCFLs on a Dell 15". I used ready-made LED strips designed for 12V. As the monitor had an 18V power brick I used a 27 ohm 5W resistor and bolted that to the LCD panel as a heatsink, and a spare n-ch MOSFET (I had one in my junk bin... IRF510) to turn the LEDs on and off when the monitor switched on and off. The LEDs were surprisingly bright - more than bright enough to use, but I'd probably decrease the resistor in future.
                    Last edited by tom66; 02-15-2012, 04:20 AM.

Comment

The finally tally on the 5V is 1300 ma. The 7805 limit is 1 Amp, I have several dual voltage bricks I can use. I know there are other regulators but I think this will work okay.
                      Keeping it simple, I hope.

Comment

An ST-made 7805CV can supply up to 1.5A, but you probably have to get a bit creative in terms of heatsinking..

Comment

I've used one of these to repair an LCD TV before with a failed 5V supply on the motherboard: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-3A-U-BE...item1e66108ed5

Comment

The finally tally on the 5V is 1300 ma. The 7805 limit is 1 Amp, I have several dual voltage bricks I can use. I know there are other regulators but I think this will work okay.
                            Keeping it simple, I hope.
                            I think you are going about it the wrong way. The original power supply put out 5V and probably 12V for the inverter. Remove the jumpers or cut the traces powering the inverter and use the 12V supply for the LEDs. If the inverter supply was over 12V, use a resistor or regulator to drop it to 12 volts.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                            X