TAICON Capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAICON Capacitors?

Have an ASUS P4B266-E p4 board here. Computer has some issues (could be related to other issues) but is generally stable the caps look good. Saw some fast fluctuations on the power rails????

Funny thing is if you check the caps. It has :

Rubycon YXG 6.3 1000mf (nice) 18x
    Rubycon YXG 6.3 1500mf (nice) 1x
    JEC 100mf (???) 6x
    Various small caps

then wait for it :

TAICON 16v 1200mf (wtf??) 3x
    TAICON 6.3v 3300mf (wtf??) 6x

wtf is TAICON? probably no good (Taiwan). Anybody see any failures with TAICON? Anyway, what kind of idiot put Rubycons with taiwan caps.

I am swapping it out with a new intel board anyway cos the secretary whose computer it is complains way too much. Put in a slower CPU also - be nice and you will be rewarded, otherwise.....

So any ideas whether i should use this board for something else or do the caps have to go?
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

I've got an Intel SIA2 server board packed FULL of Taicon caps. The board runs perfectly... Although, it's not very old. I've never heard of Taicon, and they don't look like the highest of quality, but the board is still working fine, so I havent changed them out.

You don't have to worry about the Rubycon caps, those aren't common to failure, so if the board is acting flaky, you might try swapping out the Taicons just to eliminate them as a factor.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Thanks for the info TC. Interesting to see the SAi2 having taicon. Intel are usually careful with their components which is why I am installing Intel exclusively presently for office computers.

I was looking at the SAi2 board on ebay. Does it use only ECC ram or is normal SDRAM possible?

I know the rubycon are good, always nice to see them Ks.

Think i will take that asus board for a media pc (...er I mean for extensive testing.) Anyway we have probs on our net though it looks like we will have some good funding for upgrades. Anyway we will see if the problems related to this board are replicated on the new install or not next week.

Can you please elaborate on the power rails fluctuating issue which I think you posted as related to bad caps although I cannot find the post.

Comment

The SAI2 uses ONLY ECC memory. NON-ECC will not work. I've been using it as a SQL/file server with a pair of 1.4GHz tualatin-S CPU's, and it's a remarkably stable box. I have not recapped it, it still has the Taicon caps, and they run cool... I've never heard of Taicon, but on the brighter side, I've never seen a bad Taicon either... The board has been running non-stop for about 2 months, a year down the road should tell the tale as to the quality of the caps, but I'm not worried. If they do croak, I can recap it...

You were asking about voltage fluctuations in VCORE and other voltages... The prime suspect for that would be power supply. If you are using a known good supply and the voltage is still erratic, you might look at your caps. Bad capacitors WILL cause your system voltages to be sporadic, out of tolerence, or look like noisy garbage under a scope. Even if they aren't bloated and swollen, this can happen. I have seen brand new motherboards be flaky out of the box because of poor caps, and since the board was new, they weren't swollen, but the boards were unstable and unusable. One was an ECS D6VAA dual socket-370 board, the other was a Gigabyte (forgot the model #)... New boards with bad caps isn't common, but it does happen...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a kickass server. I will check the mobo with an Addtronics PSU I have lying around. Its good only for testing really because the fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner (gotta change it some day with a papst). I will see if I replicate the voltage fluctuations.

Anyway it is good to know you have never seen a bad Taicon. Otherwise it is a good board for recapping. Only 9 caps would have to be changed.

Comment

For the record I have found that Taicon (Taiwan Capacitor Ltd.) was established by Nichicon Japan in 1969 as a joint venture. Remains part of the "Nichicon Family". I guess that is a good sign as they would hopefully be using Japanese electrolyte formula.

Comment

i looked through a 5 gallon pickle bucket of dead caps as i poured them into the dumpster today.
              no tiacons in there i could see.

Comment

Thanks kc8adu I appreciate you checking.

Guess they will be allocating a personal landfill for you soon lol .

Comment

Re: TAICON Capacitors?

Was googling "TAICON CAPACITORS" and came across this thread. Nice site by the way. I just replaced 17 BAD (blown) Taicon 1000uF 6.3 Capacitors on a ASRock P4i65GV Motherboard. Putting a fresh load of WinXP on this system, and so far so good.

-dave

Comment

those taicon and asrock go really well together.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                      those taicon and asrock go really well together.
                      sorry, i didn't explain well, the TAICON caps were the BAD ones, the ones I pulled of the ASRock board. Is this unusual? Are these usually a good brand of CAPS?

Comment

they seem to fail on asrock boards mostly

Comment

Which series are those failed Taicons? If they're HN/HM, I would not be too surprised - AFAIK, Taicon manufactured the failed Nichicon HN/HM on the Dell and Intel boards. However, if they're HD/HE/P? I'd be more worried - the Taicon HD 1200/16 is widely available locally, as a useful universal 10mm cap.

Comment

AFAIK, Taicon manufactured the failed Nichicon HN/HM on the Dell and Intel boards.
                            that was never confirmed here, only speculated. do you have another source for that info?

Comment

Yup, you're right. A quick Google does not reveal any official confirmation/link that Taicon manufactured the bad batches of Nichicon HN/HM that failed on Dell, Intel and Apple motherboards. The only evidence is speculative/circumstantial - 1) a reference to 'Nichicon series' capacitors on Taicon's website; 2) Most of those boards were manufactured by OEMs (Flextronics, Wistron, Quanta, ...) with a significant Taiwanese manufacturing base, so it's likely that they'd have preferred to source the passives locally, perhaps from Taicon rather than Nichicon.

It's entirely possible that the application of the HN/HM is marginal - it is thin and long, and located right next to the CPU heatsink in most mobo applications. The combination of location, lack of air-flow and high ripple current must have tipped them over the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                Which series are those failed Taicons? If they're HN/HM, I would not be too surprised - AFAIK, Taicon manufactured the failed Nichicon HN/HM on the Dell and Intel boards. However, if they're HD/HE/P? I'd be more worried - the Taicon HD 1200/16 is widely available locally, as a useful universal 10mm cap.
                                TAICON
                                1000uF 6.3v
                                0436(M)
                                105C(HD)

that is all the info on these bad caps

Comment

> TAICON
                                  > 1000uF 6.3v
                                  > 0436(M)
                                  > 105C(HD)

Damn, those are HDs - scratch another from the good caps list. Does it have a sort of bright green sleeve?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                    > TAICON
                                    > 1000uF 6.3v
                                    > 0436(M)
                                    > 105C(HD)

Damn, those are HDs - scratch another from the good caps list. Does it have a sort of bright green sleeve?
                                    Yes, they were green, not sure I'd describe them as "bright green" but green for sure.

Comment

I have 15 bad taicons 6.3V 1000uf (green color) in P4AL Asrock MOBO. Just trying to replace them with panasonic caps.

Comment

I had an ASRock K7S41GX motherboard fail a few weeks ago. 12 of the 15 TAICON 1000uF 6.3V caps had bulged and split. The board had been running 24/7 since October 2004. Same green colored caps as previously mentioned. Here's the info on the caps:

TAICON
                                        1000uF 6.3v
                                        0414(M)
                                        105C(HD)
                                        Last edited by scotta; 01-03-2007, 09:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                                        X