Samsung Plasma TV model PN64F8500 power on issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Plasma TV model PN64F8500 power on issue

Hi. I am new to this forum so I would like to thank everyone on this board for helping the community and enabling those that like to fix things while keeping our landfills a little emptier. Also my apologies to not adding pictures yet as I have not started the project. I will definitely post as it progresses and if anyone needs them to help me diagnose the problem. Please don't skip my thread just because I haven't posted pictures yet.

So I have the TV in the subject and there are times when it doesn't turn on. The red light blinks on the panel (I believe 14 times at first slow and then fast blinks). It seems to happen if the TV has been on for a while and it's turned off and then on again. On the subsequent turn on is when I have noticed this behavior. (that's what she said!!! LOL!)

From what I have read over at AVSForum it seems to be 3 bad capacitors on the Y board. The thread is: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...turning-3.html

Post #88 shows the caps and where they are on the Y board. Also there is a post there with a mouser reference to order them. I have gone ahead and purchased them just in case, but I would hate to fix it to realize the problem was elsewhere. Especially since they say the caps show no visual defects.

So I would really appreciate it any advice on how to diagnose my problem and see if it's truly related to the 3 caps mentioned over at AVSForum.

TIA!!!
    Last edited by miamichillin99; 01-18-2017, 02:43 PM.

Re: Samsung Plasma TV model PN64F8500 power on issue

I have taken the back off and taken pictures of the boards. I even took a picture of the 3 capacitors being reported as problematic on AVSForum. All the caps look visually sound. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Comment

Inspect the solder joints on the power supply making good as many as you can and see if that helps.
      Capacitors fail by drying up internally so do not always show signs of problems.

It would be worth your while checking the electrolytic capacitors on the psu are within spec and have a low ESR.
      Last edited by dick_barton; 01-19-2017, 11:48 AM.
      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
        Inspect the solder joints on the power supply making good as many as you can and see if that helps.
        Capacitors fail by drying up internally so do not always show signs of problems.

It would be worth your while checking the electrolytic capacitors on the psu are within spec and have a low ESR.
        Thanks dick for responding. I'm not an expert here so please be patient with me, but as far as checking solder joints do I just check that the color of the solder is bright and shiny? As far as caps on the psu, how do I perform this check? Please don't tell me I have to remove them all to check them!!!! I think I will do more harm than good if that's the case.

Comment

Thanks to talb over at AVSForum for providing the attached file. The issue described is similar to what I am experiencing. I did both tests described. I checked the voltage at SVC_VS and VSCAN and I saw 209 and -195.1 respectively. They are very close. Now it does say to test this at start up which I am not certain how long start up takes being behind the tv. Also I tested these values while the TV was working fine. I think I should wait for it to fail again. Unfortunately (or fortunately I should say) the issue is very sporadic. The TV works 99% of the time. I guess I should wait for that 1% and test the voltages then.
          Attached Files

Comment

After having the tv fail I was able to perform the tests once again. This time they are much closer to the expected results in the samsung service bulletin. I obtained a SVC_VS of 209 which slowly declined while boot up. I then proceeded to test VSCAN where I measured -140 but it declined in absolute value to 0. I have ordered the caps and will report more results once I swap them out. I will document the process for the benefit of the community. The bulletin suggests to tack-solder the new caps. What exactly does that mean?

Comment

When the set fails can how long is it off before it can be switched on for normal operation?

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                When the set fails can how long is it off before it can be switched on for normal operation?
                About 5-15 minutes.

Comment

Problem fixed. Please refer to the avsforum to see my repair.

Comment

Glad you have managed to fix the tv heres a link to the thread
                    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...turning-8.html

Comment

miamichillin99 Taken from AVSforum

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by talb View Post
                      Many many many many many many many thanks to CostaM and esegan who were the first guys to identify the solution! Many many many many many thanks to all the others who contributed with their confirmations/suggestions.
                      First I want to thank everyone that helped and contributed in this amazing thread. As talb mentioned, thank you to CostaM for informing the group that the issue was small caps on the Y board. Then to esegan for figuring out which caps were the problem. Also I want to thank Mikehawkes for linking the parts over at mouser.com, to 939 for showing the voltage adjustment locations and last but not least, to talb for posting the samsung docs and for thoroughly explaining his repair and helping me complete mine.

I ran my TV for 12 hours straight, followed by a turn off and on and it worked perfectly.
                      Attached you will find some pictures of my repair. First is a picture of the old caps removed. Then a picture of the new caps uninstalled but with solder already applied to the legs. Lastly I took a few pictures of the board with the caps installed. They are not pretty or perfectly aligned or straight but they do work.

Some additional comments I would like to add to my instructions above. I did solder the new caps to the legs of the old caps. So when you cut off the old caps leave as much leg as possible. I left one with a small leg by accident and it was very difficult to solder the new cap. I bought this wire cutter which has a fine tip perfect for this job:

For the soldering iron I would recommend a very fine tip. I used this one:

Lastly I recommend that after you install each cap, that you check the resistance between the points on C5207 and the top of the leg of your newly installed cap. The resistance should read 0 ohms. This means you made a good solder joint. Check both legs against both points on C5207.

The rest of the instruction I posted above still apply. I did the job as talb suggested, with the TV upright on it's stand and the Y Board still installed on the TV. I pulled up a chair to the back of the TV, got a magnifying lamp light and got and did the repair. Regarding the white glue that was smeared on one of the old caps I cut it off with an exacto knife, but be very careful since you can easily cut a trace or a component off the board
                      Attached Files

Comment

I can confirm that this fix also worked for a PS60E8000 that had the same symptoms. I have now fixed a couple of similar TVs with this method - fantastic! Many thanks to esegan on AVSforum and miamichillin99 and dick_barton for posting the link here.

By the way, the offending caps didn't have any visible signs of problems on either of the boards I fixed.

Comment

New to this Forum and want to thank the members for helping me confirm issue with my Samsung P64F8500 Plasma TV. I started having the issue about a month ago and it has come/gone since then. Time turned on and time turned off before attempting to turn on again appear to be critical.
                          Fortunately I bought an extended warranty with the TV and will try to use that and see what happens. They are sending a 'tech' out this coming Friday. I will greet him with a print out of the Samsung Service News thanks to miamichillin99; I wasn't able to find talb's original in AVS forum so am happy to find it here.
                          In the meantime I bought some caps from Digi-Key just in case...
                          Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

Was able to grab a super clean 64" Samsung P64F8500 Plasma TV last week off of Craig's list for $50 last week. Bought 12 TDK FA20X7S1H106KRU06 Ceramic Capacitor 10uF 50V X7S 10% Radial 5mm 125C from arrow.com to replace the three everyone has pointed. Replaced those by snipping off and soldering to the old cap legs in my entry way sitting on the floor. Took a couple of hours if you have everything together and make sure you do it right and put the back on again.

And Voila! It works now. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm eager to test it out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this info! As someone else said, we've saved another TV headed for a landfill.

PS
                            Arrow.com gave me free 1 day shipping on $12.50 in parts. Awesome. No, I don't work for them.

Comment

One later boards the 3 caps were replaced with 1 x 30uf ESR cap

Comment

I looked for caps mentioned in the thread, but generally found them unavailable or "shipping from china" with TBD arrival dates. The cap's I referenced above seemed to fit the specs and at $1 a piece worth a try. Will let you know how it goes, still need to move it in place, hook up to stuff, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by greyfeld View Post
                                  I looked for caps mentioned in the thread, but generally found them unavailable or "shipping from china" with TBD arrival dates. The cap's I referenced above seemed to fit the specs and at $1 a piece worth a try. Will let you know how it goes, still need to move it in place, hook up to stuff, etc.
                                  The link for others for an alternative capacitors is: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...RqDNdiy44VI0kV

Comment

Originally posted by chrismurphy View Post
                                    One later boards the 3 caps were replaced with 1 x 30uf ESR cap
                                    Hi all - I hope someone is still following this thread. I bought the 3 caps from mouser last year - knowing I'd eventually get up the nerve to attempt the "fix." I pulled the back panel off and realized my panel doesn't have the 3 caps at all - it just has a single cap. It looks like it says 22uf on the cap. My display has all the characteristics mentioned in this thread, so am I right to assume that single cap is my issue as well? I also find it odd that my single cap is 22uf, but everything else I've seen mentions 30uf (3 caps at 10uf each.) My main question is, does anybody know the exact replacement (single cap) fix from mouser (a link?) I'm no electrician, so all this 22uf, 30uf stuff, is way out of my league. I could attempt to solder the 3 caps straight to the board, but since there aren't any "legs" to solder to, I'm scared to try that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
                                    Thanks
                                    BK

Comment

You should look at the Y board photos on this thread to verify that you have a similar looking board. If yes, then you probably have a newer/older version of the board. Assuming it's the same board and the fact that you already have the replacement capacitors, you can parallel two of the 10uf caps to get 20uf, which is pretty close to the 22uf currently mounted on the board. Before you ask, there are plenty of YouTube videos on what it means to "parallel" capacitors.

Comment

I take it you wouldn't recommend trying to install/solder the 3 capacitors in the place they're meant to go?
                                        The board I have is the same as the one in post #63 in the thread over on avsforum.

Comment

Working...
                                        X