Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this pcb for the speaker tabs made out of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this pcb for the speaker tabs made out of?

Hi! Does anyone know what this PCB is made out of? The one that the speaker wires plug into? I was thinking of just etching a new PCB and riviting it down where this one was, but don't know enough about speakers and thought maybe it had to be something special, like made out of ceramic.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: What's this pcb for the speaker tabs made out of?

Surely it's easier to snip the connector and solder it to the tab than making a pcb and riveting it on and soldering the copper leads..

Comment

I doubt it's really anything special. It could be just pressed cardboard.

You have a rectangle with 3 holes stamped/drilled in it.
      You have a couple of metal clips that were stamped to that shape, and the metal was bent and pressed like a rivet or something similar
      poor mspaint drawing :

Attached Files

Comment

Like diif said, use something like this
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          Surely it's easier to snip the connector and solder it to the tab than making a pcb and riveting it on and soldering the copper leads..
          Yup. I ran some ideas across the owner of the monitor. I think he called it a monitor. It's so when the band he's playing with is playing a gig, as he calls it, he can hear what he's playing. He said the big speakers that face the audience are too loud, so they stay behind them and use those little speaker cabinet things he called a monitor to hear their sound.

He specifically wants that little board replaced, I don't know why. This guy, you should have seen him. He really looked like a rock and roll band member. He brought his bass with him and played it for my daughter, which was amazing, and then he played an acoustic guitar for us!!!! Absolutely amazing.

Theres some sort of sentemential attachment to the device for him. Something about the previous owner being very special to this gentleman. I think that's why he wants it fixed the way he does.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            Like diif said, use something like this
            In that picture I took, you cannot see it, but the actual board is broken in half. Replacing the broken tab shouldn't be hard and soldering it in shouldn't be hard. It's much skinner than the positive side. But the board is two pieces. I was thinking maybe trying to glue it together, I dunno.

Comment

I should add that he said he switches the head regularly. I have tried super gluing the two pieces of the board together, but it doesn't seem to be holding. Perhaps if I let it sit over night. If I do repair the board, it needs to be sturdy enough to handle the positive and negative ends of the head from being plugged in and removed.

*EDIT: I believe I have found a replacement part, albeit a different colour. I will contact the owner and see if he is okay with a different colour. If not, perhaps it's time to return the device unrepaired.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/speak...inal-t-16.html

It has the smaller spade connector for the negative side, like his current one is supposed to have (the one that broke off)
              Last edited by Spork Schivago; 04-13-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Wait a minute - why exactly would the speaker (on its own, outside of an enclosure) need to be connected and disconnected so often?

Regardless, one simple(?) solution could be a strip of circuit-board, with the copper cladding removed.
                You could either scrape it off (labor intensive), or just "burn" it off, with a hot (and hefty) enough iron / tip and some added solder.
                Drill three appropriate-sized holes, "fabri-cobble" some suitable rivets, and that should be that.

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                I should add that he said he switches the head regularly.

---
                If I do repair the board, it needs to be sturdy enough to handle the positive and negative ends of the head from being plugged in and removed.
                Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Usually it's reinforced cardboard, something that's hard enough but not too hard, so vibrations do not translate to or from the tinsel wire. It is NOT glass FR4, but sometimes FR2. I've seen junk cardboard used for it too for really cost conscious applications (cheap mini speakers). Everything is riveted to deal with vibration.

Comment

solder on 2 new tabs and call it an upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Khron View Post
                      Wait a minute - why exactly would the speaker (on its own, outside of an enclosure) need to be connected and disconnected so often?

Regardless, one simple(?) solution could be a strip of circuit-board, with the copper cladding removed.
                      You could either scrape it off (labor intensive), or just "burn" it off, with a hot (and hefty) enough iron / tip and some added solder.
                      Drill three appropriate-sized holes, "fabri-cobble" some suitable rivets, and that should be that.
                      The speaker is not outside the enclosure, so that's not the reason. The speaker is in an enclosure, just a box. Then he has this thing he calls a head. The head allows him to easily hook his instrument(s) into the speaker. For whatever reasons, he removes this head frequently. Originally, I thought it was because he was hooking another head up to it, and that could be the reason. But it might have to do with moving it. I guess they travel a lot playing in some band.

I like the PCB idea and that's what I was thinking of doing, until I found a replacement one for sale. I would still need the smaller sized spare bit. The one on the original board is broken off. However, finding the complete speaker terminal frame (T-16) with the proper spades for 3$, around 8$ with shipping, I am just going to order the thing.

I have spades, but the wrong width. I said we could strip the negative wire and crimp a larger female spade on the wire so we could use one of my larger male spades for the negative side, but he said no. He wanted to keep it as original as possible. I checked the price for the entire unit, with the head and speaker, and it's nothing amazing in my eyes. Same size speaker, similar looking head unit, same make, different model was only like 120$. But he doesn't want it replaced. Wants it repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                        solder on 2 new tabs and call it an upgrade
                        Yeah, but I still need to find a way to reattach the two halves of the board. Broken right next to the rivet and the negative side just hands unattached.

Found a new board with the proper sized tabs for the two different sized spade connectors on the two wires (positive and negative) for 3$ plus like 4$ shipping.

Once he calls me back, I'll order it. Not sure how hard it'll be to rivet on. I have a rivet gun, so hopefully, it'll be easy. My rivets are round, this one is square, but if he gets that picky, I'll just tell him to take it someplace else.

Comment

Working...
                        X