Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > General Computer Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your mainstream OS for 2019 is?
Windows 10 11 25.58%
Windows 8/8.1 0 0%
Windows 7 16 37.21%
Windows Vista 0 0%
Windows XP 7 16.28%
Windows 2000 or older MS OS 0 0%
Mac OS 3 6.98%
Some flavor of Linux/Unix (brag on your distro in a post) 6 13.95%
I dont use a PC anymore, I'm a phone zombie 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #61
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: The 2019 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
What?! I suspect a lot of .wav files, LOL.
Not in 2003. MP3 became the audio standard in 1998.

My music collection started on an 18.2gb SCSI HDD that I paid out the ass for back in the 90's. It was filled in a matter of weeks.

The collection still exists....and has grown.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg music.jpg (38.0 KB, 50 views)

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #62
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post

My music collection started on an 18.2gb SCSI HDD that I paid out the ass for back in the 90's. It was filled in a matter of weeks.

And I only have 18GB of mostly wma's... almost all from CD's I've goodwilled and ripped. Of that, 12GB is good stuff (what's on my phone and my truck's flash drive, and ~ 8GB is stuff I'll admit to having ripped (on my travel drive for use in company/rental vans)

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #63
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post

And I only have 18GB of mostly wma's... almost all from CD's I've goodwilled and ripped. Of that, 12GB is good stuff (what's on my phone and my truck's flash drive, and ~ 8GB is stuff I'll admit to having ripped (on my travel drive for use in company/rental vans)
Bring a big USB3 HDD next time you come down this way. Lots of complete albums.
Topcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #64
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

Quote:
Bring a big USB3 HDD next time you come down this way. Lots of complete albums.
But that's cheating the "Game"... I prefer to hunt my prey .
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #65
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
Voted Windows 7 and it has the lead.
But what I find more interesting is that Windows XP has as many votes (so far) as Windows 10. Isn't that sad (about how badly people think of W10)?!

Meanwhile, Vista and 8/8.1 got none.
2k and 9x got none too, but I think that's understandable, considering it's rather hard to get software for those and also fully compatible/usable with today's web.

Also, looks like the -nix crowd is further picking up steam (wait, is that a pun for SteamOS? ) compared to previous years.

I guess the future doesn't look that bright - pick either some outmoded Windows OS (2k/XP/7) or go with a -nix variant (no thanks, not for a desktop OS anyways :\ ).
... Or maybe I am just a cynic??

Quote:
57 and after dropped legacy addon support, and no status bar = no use by me!
FF 57 and after (called Quantum?) is a completely different animal from the FF we used to know. So I am threading "carefully" with it. That said, it does run very smooth on multi-core PCs and doesn't have that "take forever to start" problem. However, I haven't tried it on any old single-core PCs, so I can't say if it's any good for old PCs... and besides, you need Vista, 7, or newer for the new FF. It simply refuses to install on XP because it's too "outdated & insecure" according to the installer. Thus, I still keep good ol' pre-Quantum FF on my XP machines (mainly 24 Portable, 49-51 Portable, and 52 ESR.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
Try living with 60 MEGAbytes!

And, before that, a pair of 1.4MB (8 inch!) floppies.
Hehe. Well, I suppose each generation has some line they'd consider as "minimum". In my case, I'm a bit younger than you, probably by more than a few years.

I imagine the future kids of today's kids will probably all be in shock and awe if they were told how their supposed parents had to make-do with a 1st gen quad-core PCs and 0.5-1 TB HDDs.

Probably will be just like that... and kind of funny if you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
But, software was much less bloated, then. And, amusingly, you had almost comparable performance/productivity boost -- you just had to "work differently".
Agreed.
Much of today's stuff is terribly bloated. I'd say up to the early 2000's, most software was still fairly efficient. Late XP / early Vista is where things really started to take a nosedive, IMO.

Quote:
What?! I suspect a lot of .wav files, LOL.
Nope.
Mostly MP3's and WMA's. As TC mentioned, MP3's were the norm in the early 2000's... and mostly low KB rate too (96/112/128 kbps).

I had very few WAV files, and I kept those compressed in RAR/ZIP to save space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post

And I only have 18GB of mostly wma's... almost all from CD's I've goodwilled and ripped.
I guess I beat you all: about 11 GB total for my "personal" collection. Part of the reason it is so "small" is because I do NOT have entire CDs ripped, but only select songs that I like. There are very few groups/singers that I can say I like their entire CD/album (and I can count those on my fingers, really).

Otherwise, I have 3 or 4 hard drives with music I've found in discarded PCs. These vary anywhere from 20 to 80 GB each (for the ones that have mostly MP3s) and around 150 GB on one with WAV files. Still haven't gone through with what's on there on any of these.

But like RD747 says, I too "prefer to hunt my prey". In my case, that means adding only -songs- I like to my collection, and not entire albums. Thus the slow "growth". This also means most of the music on those found HDDs likely will get either erased or written onto DVD-Rs and probably never accessed again. Meanwhile, my 11 GB personal collection is nearly fully active - i.e. I am equally likely to access any of it on a weekly basis.

Last edited by momaka; 01-15-2019 at 11:56 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 AM   #66
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Still running 7 on my main PC, XP on my 2nd (ABIT IP35 Pro w/ E6750) and 98SE on my 3rd (Acorp 5VIA77/Pentium MMX 200MHz).
DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS, Intel Xeon X5450 3.00GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 8GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, RPC 500LBL 500W (rebuilt), AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, noname black case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:22 AM   #67
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Hehe. Well, I suppose each generation has some line they'd consider as "minimum". In my case, I'm a bit younger than you, probably by more than a few years.
But, at the time, these were considered AMAZING workstations! You could be incredibly productive! With 1000 times the MIPS and memory/disk, I doubt that I can say I'm even 50% more "productive"! And, if I add in the costs (just the TIME!) of upgrading (installing software, etc.) over the years, I wonder if that produc tivity increase was offset by all of the "maintenance" that it required to put into place? :<

Quote:
I guess I beat you all: about 11 GB total for my "personal" collection. Part of the reason it is so "small" is because I do NOT have entire CDs ripped, but only select songs that I like. There are very few groups/singers that I can say I like their entire CD/album (and I can count those on my fingers, really).
By contrast, I have man "albums" that I truly only enjoy in their entirety. E.g., the various Who "rock operas", classics (Dark Side of the Moon would be a mess if Brain Damage didn't seemlessly melt into Eclipse; In the Court of the Crimson King "fits" together, delightfully, as a complete work), every "(live) concert recording", etc.

Plus, many of the titles are lengthy, by themselves (Alice's Restaurant, Billy the Mountain, Karn Evil 9, Pictures at an Exhibition, etc.)

Quote:
But like RD747 says, I too "prefer to hunt my prey". In my case, that means adding only -songs- I like to my collection, and not entire albums. Thus the slow "growth". This also means most of the music on those found HDDs likely will get either erased or written onto DVD-Rs and probably never accessed again. Meanwhile, my 11 GB personal collection is nearly fully active - i.e. I am equally likely to access any of it on a weekly basis.
I have music playing almost continuously, when I'm not having to interact with others (I don't like having to "talk over" music). So, often 8-12 hours a day. I don't want to keep hearing the same tunes every week or two. And, often, whatever "pops up" is incompatible with my current activity (I don't want to listen to head-banging music is I'm plodding through a technical article).

[I really need to find a better "music" app so I can more easily PICK which album I want to hear]
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 AM   #68
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 123-127V 61.5-63.5 Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:

I was thinking that some people still used uncompressed formats, for better quality.

Also, that's a lot bigger than my collection of 1080p videos of Halo CE on my SSD, LOL!

Core i7 Extreme "Bloomfield" 965

PNY GeForce GTX 960

Windows 7 SP1

SoundBlaster ZXR

Corsair TX850M PSU

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 AM   #69
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
I was thinking that some people still used uncompressed formats, for better quality.
(again, harping on the "disk space is free" belief...)

I store music in a few different formats -- even if the format adds no extra quality/fidelity to the signal (e.g., converting MP3 to FLAC). This just makes it easier for me to access a particular "piece" in whatever format the device on which I intend to play it requires (or is most appropriate).

Its just easier to batch-recode everything and save the results than it is to have to recode (or even transcode!) "as needed".

E.g., the SSD in the car can't easily be removed or have its content updated so I want to recode to fit <whatever> content on it in the most economical form. OTOH, the thumb drives that I can plug into it can adopt a more inefficient format as I can keep a dozen 16/32G thumb drives in a little box in the glove compartment and swap them, periodically. OToOH, the music on my phone is more conveniently portable and has some constraints and benefits of each of these approaches.
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #70
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 123-127V 61.5-63.5 Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

I only mentioned some of the above, because I got word that some people don't like how MP3-encoded audio sounds.
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #71
llonen
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: united kingdom
My Country: hampshire
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz / 110 VAC 50 Hz and 415 VAC 50Hz

Same as last year and the year before, and not likely to change this year other than perhaps a new server build.

Main workstations win 7

MacBooks Some version MacOS

Test server machine some Linux flavour
llonen is offline   Reply With Quote