Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD RS880M/HD4250 (216-0752001) - bad chip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMD RS880M/HD4250 (216-0752001) - bad chip!

Popcorn the chip or the boards.....lol. loud pop sound.
    Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Haven't killed a chip for a good while now, it's been over 1 year... Burned some nVidias a couple weeks ago but that was experimenting, they were bad chips i had collected, and they were headed for the bin anyway. One of them made the grade and currently runs fine in a Dell Vostro 1510, but that's just for testing, and it's in one of my own laptops. I have a new chip on the way for that laptop, so when it dies again, no big deal. If it works for a good while, i'll let you know what i did to it.

But yes some boards are crap and bend. If you're paying attention and spot it when it starts bending, you can get it back in shape, but it requires some creativity. Blue boards (mostly Compal ones) seem to me like they're the worst offenders.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I just removed this chip from Quanta NE8 Rev C (Sony VPCEF) suspecting it's bad.
        I have 0V reading on an only big cap on the chip. All other power rails are fine. Those schematics out there are not match but readable for guessing.
        I have resistance of that cap is around 13 ohms (chip removed). I would like to ask is it normal or dead.
        Thank you for any input.

Comment

It's normal. If you read 0 volts with power applied and 0 ohms with power unplugged, with the chip fitted to the board, without it shutting down in any way when you power it on, this is normal. Some manufacturers like to connect the unused sections of the chip to ground, thus throwing you off when you're doing measurements. You'll find this is true if you look carefully at some schematics.

If the chip doesn't have any dead shorts (under 4 ohms or so) when removed from the board, it is likely good. Your board has a different issue in this case. I used to say "under 10 ohms" would be considered a short, but i've since seen some ATi GPUs, both old and new (as in generation), reading ~5 ohms across some of the ceramic caps on the top, and they were in perfect working order.
          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Thank you for the information.
            Last edited by ngvuanh; 04-25-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

hello everyone,
              I'm new to the forum I hope to get a good help and to help you!!

I have a problem (dilemma)
              chips 216-0752001 date code 14 do not work on dv6-dv4 ecc.., those date code 09-10-11-12 work well , the chips are all new
              Why? there is some updating to do?
              I hope to get help thank you

Comment

There is a simple answer: You got sold fake chips.

Comment

aah! but can be really?

Comment

i bought a 2014 216-0674026 and work very well.

i agree with the unique, they could be fake. what is the shop you bought from ? and how much you paid for it ?

2014 should costs around 30 dollar ship included.

Comment

from my trusted seller Chinese $ 15
                      I always bought from the same seller for years I only had problems with 216-0752001 date code 14 but the date code 09-10-11-12 work well
                      216-0674026 and 215-0674034 date code 2014 work very well
                      now i have 50 pieces of which I can not use 216-0752001\ 14

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        Eventually decided to go by what you said and reball the existing NB chip, did not replace. Working fine now. But darn those pads are small. Before cleaning, they were literally the size of a pin tip - no wonder they get unsoldered.

Managed to move a few 0402 ceramic caps when lifting the chip and cleaning the board, had to place and solder them back. But other than that, reballing went smoothly with no issues.

You can also notice the shit quality of the board's solder mask, which scraped off in a few places.
                        what kind of tape is yellow?
                        Last edited by saularciga; 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by saularciga View Post
                          what kind of tape is yellow?
                          Kapton tape.

Comment

Originally posted by tito78 View Post
                            from my trusted seller Chinese $ 15
                            I always bought from the same seller for years I only had problems with 216-0752001 date code 14 but the date code 09-10-11-12 work well
                            216-0674026 and 215-0674034 date code 2014 work very well
                            now i have 50 pieces of which I can not use 216-0752001\ 14
                            can u tell us the seller name ? it looks quite economic respect the 30$ from all other stores.

Comment

yes ..http://shop70422031.taobao.com/?spm=...126.d21.ydR650
                              i use an agency to buy taobao
                              I have always well it

Comment

ouch all in china language.....

can u pm me in italian if you have some price list ? maybe we can buy chip together

or send me skype id

Comment

Originally posted by tito78 View Post
                                  yes ..http://shop70422031.taobao.com/?spm=...126.d21.ydR650
                                  i use an agency to buy taobao
                                  I have always well it
                                  How to do you buy from this site, all in Chinese? I like to try out.

Comment

my girlfriend is from china, Thank god for my work !!!

Comment

Good for you, bad for me because i don't have Chinese boyfriend...

Comment

The international market price is about USD25 to 27 for both 2001 and 4026.
                                        I had seen the inv from AMD to my supplier which they buy in lots of 1 thousand.

So anything below this price just take your own precautions.

YES, Chinese can remark the chip. What ever date code also possible.

Just buy a sample from those selling originals, and you can see the difference physically;
                                        The greenish colour
                                        Solder ball colour
                                        Defects in body (chip edges)

We are the ones who fix those boards, hence our reputation is at stake.

Go for Alibaba suppliers, Taobao isn't a good place to source for BGA.
                                        I never had a failed BGA for almost 2 years already, approx 500 pieces all usable. Yes, I do pay almost USD30 a piece for those, at least I am getting what I asked for, new originals. If you can't get anybody to sell you a few pieces, let me know, I can help ship it direct from China to your location for a small handling fee, I have my own shipping warehouse in China (Dongguan), actually just to ship back to my own country in Malaysia for my business here.

DC 2014 for 2001 and 4026, so far haven't encounter needed a bios update or mod to get it to run on those old boards.
                                        Mainly repair laptops, sometimes LCD/LED monitors. Also accepts changing/reballing/reflow BGA job request.

Comment

Very true words here above. I would be interested in a few pieces of G86-771, G86-731 and G86-631 and possibly a few others, but that would be after the holidays so no rush.

Comment

Working...
                                          X