MSI 694T caps replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 694T caps replacement

So I recently got a MSI 694T Pro motherboard, which worked fine for about a week, but then started acting possessed - would randomly hang at different points during POST, displaying various POST errors, and only sometimes boot normally. None of the caps on the board are leaking or bulging, but I suspect they might be causing the problems due to old age.

The board has a mix of Rubycon, Teapo, and OST caps. I'm planning to replace the Teapos with Panasonic FR series of the same specs - would these work ok, or do I need a different replacement? Not sure if I should replace the other caps, suggestions welcome.

Here's the list of caps on the board:

By the CPU socket:
    5x Rubycon MBZ 2200uF 6.3v
    One Teapo 2700uF 6.3v
    4x Teapo 1500uF 10v

Next to AGP slot and memory slots:
    5x Teapo 1000uF 6.3v

Smaller caps around the board:
    3x OST 470uF 16v
    Attached Files

Re: MSI 694T caps replacement

Definitely replace those teapos....they love to fail with no physical signs.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Definitely replace those teapos....they love to fail with no physical signs.
      +1
      Teapo caps should never be trusted. Generally, they do like to bulge when they go bad, but that's not always the case. Given the age of the motherboard, they are quite overdue for replacement. Same for the OST caps.

Panasonic FR and FM will work fine, among other choices (I usually get Rubycon ZLH now, as they are currently offer very good specs/price ratio in their class.) Chemicon KZE should also be fine. Or if you are a Nichicon fan, HE, HD, and HW series will probably do the trick too.

Comment

Originally posted by russianbot View Post
        So I recently got a MSI 694T Pro motherboard, which worked fine for about a week, but then started acting possessed.
        if it worked fine at first, then crapped out, u might also wanna check your power supply. probably the psu is failing and outputting a lot of ripple and/or unstable voltages, killing the caps. probably explains why the teapos worked fine at first then crapped out a week later. such is the "long-term reliability" of junk caps...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          if it worked fine at first, then crapped out, u might also wanna check your power supply. probably the psu is failing and outputting a lot of ripple and/or unstable voltages, killing the caps. probably explains why the teapos worked fine at first then crapped out a week later. such is the "long-term reliability" of junk caps...
          Valid point, but in my case I'm using a new EVGA power supply, bought last year.
          Although I did mess around with software FSB clock adjustments, using programs that directly control the PLL. Hopefully that didn't damage anything.

Comment

Working...
          X