Kenwood EEPROM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood EEPROM question

First of all, I don't know anything about EEPROMs, or almost nothing.
    I'm buying broken Kenwood double din nav units which they have a common problem, they never completely boot up, just keeps rebooting.
    I have found a shop, which repairs these for a lot cheaper then Kenwood itself.
    But I would like to find out how they do it, because I would like to be able to do it.
    They, seem to replace a nand flash on the PC board.
    The IC is a Toshiba TC58NVG1S3ETAI0 2GB nand flash chip.
    Here is the datasheet:

What I would like to find out, what this IC does and if it holds the firmware or not?
    I have replaced it with a new one and the receiver doesn't even boot up.
    I'm guessing that it needs to be programmed to be able to boot, am I right?
    If yes, then I would have to load it with the latest firmware?
    The firmware, contains a CAB file, two ROM files and a bin file.
    I was looking for a programmer, but I haven't really found one that works with the same exact part number, but it's pretty close. The programmer is an ELNEC brand, which it's way to expensive for this purpose.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Kenwood EEPROM question

Here are some pictures, they are not the best. If needed, I can make much better pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

did you ever find out hiw to program these, im thinking only way it to read a known good one and clone it.

Comment

I have managed to repair one. I had to purchase a programmed IC, from kenwoodparts.com, or pacparts has them as well. The IC is around $60.
        You have to ask them, it is not available on their website.
        I believe all that series uses the same nand. DNX6190HD, 6990HD, 9990HD, etc.
        After I have replaced it, it would not boot, but after I have touched the touchscreen, it booted up and it was working fine after that.
        I can't explain what happened with that weird bootup, but I was happy that it did boot up.
        Most likely, that would be the only way to have a good one, other than buying one.
        At the time, I couldn't find a programmer, that would program that Toshiba IC, at a reasonable price.

Comment

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?pa...08&mfg=Kenwood

Comment

thx, i am thinking it is possible to program blank one by using cn902 on the daughter- i/o board, then letting windows connect as storage device, there are some dnn models that run android and people have successfully connected to the flash like this in an attemp to root.
            mine is a dnx571hd with black screen red triangle, i need to do more diagnostic before changing the nand

Comment

Somebody helped me once to fix a DNN990, using Putty, but this one is different.
              What I have mentioned earlier, it applies to that series Kenwood. I don't know anything about the 571. Matter of fact, I have one also, with black screen and red triangle LED and I don't know where to start. It seems like a common issue. I see quite a few of them, with this issue on Ebay, with the same issue. It also could be corrupted file on the internal micro sd card. I believe, if you copy the content to a Windows PC, it should show, if there are corrupted files on that card.

Comment

i took some readings on the nand chip ic500 today, what seemed strange was vcc and vss showed they were shorted, the chip is still on the board so right now i cant be sure if the problem is in the chip or elsewhere on the board, or the possibility it may be normal in its unpowered state. i may need to buy a working unit to play around with, good luck with your 571 ill keep you posted if i make any progresss

Comment

It can't be a smd capacitor shorted somewhere on the board?
                  Nothing gets hot?

Comment

i was able to get reading while powered up, even though it looks like short when powered off it does indeed have 3.3v when power is hooked up, called pac parts and ordered ic500 for my model unit, was gonna try to dump the flash before installing but my programmer only support 29f type tsop chips, should know in a week if it will work, hope i didnt waste $70

Comment

It would be nice, if the replacement nand would fix it, but who knows, maybe the MICOM is bad and not the nand.
                      How much it was and how long it takes to get it. Usually you have to wait for them, because they are special order items.

Comment

it was like $70. that is with priority mail, was 57 for part alone, she said it wiuld be 2-3 days for them to get then another 2 to arrive here, hopefully wont take too long, ill keep messing with it in the mean time.

Comment

no good on new nand, swapped daughter card with known working board and unit turns on, must have another problem with that board, possibly ram.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. What else is on that board, I don't remember. It could be a missing voltage?

Comment

update, i got it going! cooked the 4 ram chips a little to get a reflow going and it booted up. u may want to try the same for the unit you have.

Comment

Great news!!! Good job!!!
                                The Rams are BGA?

Comment

yes bga, so not easy to swap out

Comment

These BGAs create so many issues, in so many devices.
                                    It will take some time to do mine, because right now, I'm installing drywall in my garage.

Comment

Working...
                                    X