Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT

second try at this post...1st one blanked out on me so I posted nothing.
    So here is the quick version this time

I have 3 Enermax Liberty ELT 500AWT --- made 2005

2 have crapped out on me.

My computer will not start...used the 3rd good one and computer powers up.
    so not the mobo..
    1) I jumpered power cable to ground( Green to Black). Fans on both came on..
    2) checked Volts on power cable to computer. All get 3.31v, 5.14v, 12.27v ,and -11.86v. ATX power is 12.27V..both PSU's readings are exactly the same
    3) pci cables get 12.27v also.
    4) I put a few fans(Molex connector) on the PSU and ran them...all ports (modular PSU) on both rails ran the Fans.
    5) have looked at most of the CAPs and they look good..no bulges or leaking

So what other T/S tips can I do to figure out why these seemingly good PSU's are not booting my computer up ?

Thanks in advance

AP514

Re: Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT

Try the PSU on a different board. I have a Liberty 500, it's kind of picky about which board it wants to power up with. Also be sure to plug that black/white 3 pin fan plug into the board. I had that issue on some boards where it will not power up without it.

Comment

Weren't those the ones with the tan glue of death?!

Comment

the PSU came from that one it was working before....also Fan connector is in board..

Fast question about that fan connector does the Mobo control that fan or just gets info that PSU fan is connected ? maybe i can jumper it to fakeout the Powersupply if needed.

think the Glue was an earlier version....No pop or bad smell they just stopped working...

AP514
        Last edited by AP514; 06-16-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

OK update took one of the PSU's apart...only see 1 CAP that is bulged at the top only(not sides)...the rest are flat on top almost sunk'n. Not actually sure it is bad but it is in the list of BAD Caps..(whole PSU is probably) CTC 10v 15000uf.

Cheched for Glue---none seen....

Im still looking for some serious help in how i can trouble shoot this problem.

What steps do I need to take to find out what wrong and how to go about it..

here are a few pic's of my PSU.....Buldge'n top Cap is in far back next to Heatsink

http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii608/AP514/PSU/

AP514
          Last edited by AP514; 06-17-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Looks like you've got mainly Jamicon/Hermei caps judging by the vent style. Replace all of them, regardless if they are bulged or not. In fact, do a total PSU re-cap.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

they are actually CTC's

Comment

^
                That's still an off-brand. I'd be recapping it.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AP514 View Post
                  they are actually CTC's
                  Actually, they're probably Hermei... Hermei is the only manufacturer that makes caps with that style, to my knowledge. I think Jamicon is really Hermei and so is "CTC".

Also, if you look here, CTC is supposed to have a regular "+" vent, not the "H" vent.

Either way, they're junk.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

A few manufacturers use that vent. Jamicon and Hermei are not the same. Their parent company is a group called Kaimei. Sacon also used that Vent. Also, Hermei have been using a T shaped vent, a bit like panny for a while now.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

almost all CAPs say CTC but I see 1 or 2 that have(Jand P are same letter) J/PCE-tur on them..in the first pic it is the one w/ the X-top.....the 1 and only Cap that is buldged (10V 1500uf) what should I replace it with ?(Braned name)

Any way I guess..I was hope'n to get info on how to T/s this down to finding what part is making it so my Mobo will not power up..Steps or a guide on how to go about it.... doing this more for knowledge than anything else.

It would be good to fix it even though I already have a replacement on the way.

AP514

Comment

I thought Enermax used CEC for these (those are the PCE-Tur if not mistaken), which are mediocre. Hermei sucks hard. I agreee with complete recap.

The fan connector should be just for monitoring fan speed, it has only ground and monitoring wires. Though it could not be essential in any way.
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

OK so what Braned Caps for replacement ?

Comment

Samxon, Nichicon, Nippon Chemi-Con (or United CH-C), Rubycon, Sanyo, Panasonic.

You can get them genuine here, Samxons from Joe (Big Pope, look at capsmod.net), some Nichicons and Chemi-Cons from Digi-Key, but they usually dont have stock of the specials (3300 uF in D10). Or try luck on eBay.

You are interested in low-esr (but not ultra-low, these are for VRMs).
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

A few manufacturers use that vent. Jamicon and Hermei are not the same. Their parent company is a group called Kaimei. Sacon also used that Vent. Also, Hermei have been using a T shaped vent, a bit like panny for a while now.
                              Thanks for the clarification.
                              OK so what Braned Caps for replacement ?
                              Post an entire list of all the caps (Except perhaps the two big primary caps) in the following format (Don't forget the small caps):
                              1) Voltage - Capacitance - Diameter (in mm) - Brand - Series
                              2) etc...

Comment

hum.....

the CTC ones say 5076 on the side also FM 105*C im assume'n thats the series ? the 5076 or the FM ?

I know the Caps that are in there are not the best quailtiy but they have lasted 5+ years. Change'n out cap is no big deal..learned how to sodder at age 12.
                                I know I maybe a bit low on the exp curve on this stuff....and telling me too "Just change out every thing"(CAPs) ,really does not help me learn how to (T/S) Trouble Shoot the problems.
                                So, what im really looking for is some guidance on that part.T/S-ing.

AP514

Comment

Originally posted by AP514 View Post
                                  the PSU came from that one it was working before....also Fan connector is in board..

Fast question about that fan connector does the Mobo control that fan or just gets info that PSU fan is connected ? maybe i can jumper it to fakeout the Powersupply if needed.

think the Glue was an earlier version....No pop or bad smell they just stopped working...

AP514
                                  I think it just senses the voltage. I just know I had three different boards pull that shit on me and plugging that header in did the trick. But I have a 2006 unit.

As for caps, change all electrolytic caps including the small 1uf except the "BIG" 400v/250v cap, it's rare to change those.

If you want to save on caps, you could buy a tester for esr and capacitance and test to make sure they're within specs. It usually requires to remove the component in question for testing.

Comment

yes , I was just reading about how ESR goes up in those Caps over time.

and a ESR tester.

Well a new Sesonic PSU has just show'n up (ups guy at the door).

I will mess around w/ pulling out all of the Caps and other things to get access to the Caps....will post back over the next few weeks to let you know how it is going....But feel FREE to post tips on T/S

AP514

Comment

If they are 3300uF in 10mm Diameter, then use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=56 and https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=57 to replace them (depending on the voltage).

Comment

Well, just an update I replaced the 1 and only 1 Cap that was buldged(see pic's above and why waste my money recap'n all of them)...pluged PSU into an older Computer and it fired right up....seeing I had already ordered a replacement for it it will sit unused until i need it...

Comment

Working...
                                        X