pioneer vsx 2021 no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pioneer vsx 2021 no sound

Then you will have to work with what is available.
    Check the older/similar models.. usually the hdmi boards are the same or with minor changes.

Comment

I have finally found the manuals for the LX55. You need RRV4230, RRV4204 and RRV4194. They can be downloaded in the link supplied by Madana1 for the first ones but at different location for the third and most useful one:

RRV4230, RRV4204: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...vsx-lx55.shtml
      RRV4194: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...vsx-1121.shtml

You need to freely register to download these manuals. Seems like the RRV4194 is the one needed for full assembly description with schematics.

Comment

I have finally identified a 3.3-V regulator which was guilty for not powering the digital assy clock section, just like what one of the poster from India reported. It is IC9512 and it's a NJM2872BF33. You can check voltage on the top side of the digital board by probing the voltage across C9609. I had around 1 V while C9601 nearby was receiving the 5.6-V input. To replace this TSOP-5, you need to access the bottom of the digital board. When back in place with a new reg. the clock signals showed up ok and the CD input plays fine but sometimes it stills hangs the sound and the amp remains dumb. I need to turn it off, wait and on again. When on, it remains on for hours without problem. Then I turn it off/on several times and then it hangs as before: display is lit but nothing out. The 3.3-V reg is always ok. I noticed also that when it happens, sometimes, I can press the standby buttons many times and the thing remains off. Then, it turns on after many attempts (the remote is also locked in this mode). The SM of VSX-LX55 or VSX-2021 says that in absence of sound and signals at two specific pins in analogue audio in, the DAC assy is to blame but I doubt it considering the random problem with the stby button. Looks like one of the regulator is having problems but this machine is full of LDOs of all kinds. Which ones to check is really the question there and many are not accessible. I'll keep searching and will post my findings if any. If you gents have suggestions, I'll be happy to read them, thanks.

Comment

@ Clunche

I have just bought a VSX-2021 from eBay with the 'no sound' fault hoping it would be a simple fix. It has yet to arrive but reading your posts it looks like I will be having some fun fault finding it.

I've downloaded the manuals you provided links to but the third and most useful looking one doesn't list my particular model. Should I assume for diagnostic purposes the VSX-1121 is the same or close to the same as the VSX-2021?

Comment

What a fun amp this is to work on - NOT.

The voltage reg IC9512 is not the problem with mine as I checked this first.

I have no audio out from any source or any output inc headphones, just silence but the controls all appear to be working and the audio amp stages aren't blown. All fuses are also intact.

With audio fed into the CD terminals I can trace this to the Audio Assy PWB CN3793 pins 27 and 25 (FL & FR audio in) but nothing out from that board. The audio selector and volume IC2501 is receiving audio and has power (+7V and -7v) but doesn't put anything out.

Either this chip has failed or some other control issue.

Anyone else???
            Last edited by andyb1712; 12-24-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Closer look at IC2501 shows audio in and supply volts present but no clock signal.

Tracing this back it goes to main LSI IC101. This has supply volts present so looks like the main LSI has failed in mine.

😢

Comment

Finally fixed this Pioneer AVR!

I bought another VSX-LX55, sold as working but it put up UE22 after a couple of days use and then stopped working too. The eBay seller refunded me and said keep it due to the high cost of return postage...

I looked at my VSX-2021 again and the DSP firmware part was showing *** instead of numbers, which made me think a failed firmware update had corrupted the DSP firmware. The service manual shows the firmware is stored in a nearby 8 pin flash chip, IC9004, MX25L1606E. I took the flash chip from the VSX-LX55 and copied the contents to the corrupted one in the VSX-2021.

This got the VSX-2021 working fully again, so my previous DSP chip replacement from China was a success after all and not a fake as suspected. All I need to do now is replace the faulty DSP chip on the VSX-LX55 too and both will be working again.

I updated this post as it may assist someone else with the same issue after DSP replacement. I have the working IC9004 flash dump for if anyone has the same problem due to a failed firmware update.

Comment

Post the firmware file here if it's not too large.

Comment

## Attached - DSP firmware dump from Pioneer VSX-LX55 ##

Tested and working in both VSX-LX55 and VSX-2021.

Circuit location is: IC9004, device is: MX25L1606E.

Version is 119 from Pioneer firmware AVR_1_204087119093

I loaded this into my VSX-2021 IC9004 although the rest of the receiver was still running an older firmware version. It then started up and ran fine. I was able to perform a full update via USB to the rest of latest version detailed above.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting it I'm sure it will come in handy for someone.

Comment

Originally posted by andyb1712 View Post
                        ## Attached - DSP firmware dump from Pioneer VSX-LX55 ##

Tested and working in both VSX-LX55 and VSX-2021.

Circuit location is: IC9004, device is: MX25L1606E.

Version is 119 from Pioneer firmware AVR_1_204087119093

I loaded this into my VSX-2021 IC9004 although the rest of the receiver was still running an older firmware version. It then started up and ran fine. I was able to perform a full update via USB to the rest of latest version detailed above.
                        Hi, I've encountered the same issue with my VSX-2021 and performed the eeprom flash with the file you share. Now I get the famous UE22 error code and it looks like that i still can't get sound from HDMI sources but as improvement i'm now able to get sound from analog and tos-link sources. It seems that this code is relative either to firmware upgrade failure (altough in this case it seems unlikely as the content of the eeprom before i flash it was empty and now it's mirroring exactly the bin file you provided) or HDMI board hardware failure (that is supposed to be turned around by heating the chip near the eeprom) What do you think ?

Comment

The corrupted flash memory occurs when the DSP chip fails or develops bad solder contacts while the unit is in operation or if a firmware update is attempted once UE22 has been displayed.

It sounds to me that you still have a problem with the main DSP, IC9002. I would put some liquid flux under it and reflow it. I've done this by preheating the board underside using a mobile phone heater and then using a temperature controlled heat gun from above for 50 to 60 seconds.

You may also need to perform a full firmware update after you reload the file I provided into IC9004, especially if a previous firmware update attempt had failed. The file I uploaded was tested in both my VSX-LX55 and VSX-2021 and both have been working well for several months now.

If reheating IC9002 doesn't get it working, you will need to replace it and preferably with the later 'D' variant chip; D810K013DZKB4. I've bought these from e-best_trade on eBay and they aren't sanded down/remarked 'B' variants as some are selling. Tacky flux is easier to use than liquid flux for hand fitting a new BGA.

#EDIT: what does the firmware version show now? If it still has * * * in the DSP part, then there is still a problem with IC9002.
                          Last edited by andyb1712; 06-04-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I have a Pioneer VSX-52 was doing UE22 for a while but still worked. It slowly got worse until it stopped working. An attempt to update firmware with USB file it stopped stalleed at 20% every time. Displayed *** where the DSP firmware should be. I replaced the TI DSP chip but unit still had no sound and firmware still showed ***. After using the ic 9004 zip file to reload flash into the 8 pin SOIC system is back to working now.

Thank you so much for posting the file it was the last piece of the puzzle since I didn't have a working SPI chip to pull data from.

Comment

I'm pleased to hear this file helped with your repair. This is exactly how my first attempt went until I loaded the file from a working unit.

After replacing the DSP you may find Apple Air Play no longer works. This can be fixed with a full firmware update via USB. If you have the latest firmware already loaded, then this is a problem. There is a way round it though by editing the update file to fool the receiver into reloading the same version. Let me know if you need to do this and I'll assist or Dropbox a copy of the modified file.

Comment

My firmware is at the latest and I cannot reload the file. I would be interested in reloading the firmware. I would be interested in the mod file to allow reloading firmware.

Comment

Here's a Dropbox link to the file I modified and used to update my receiver.

You can use this over and over because the receiver thinks it's getting a new update but it just reloads the same version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7efo8tqpzi...pdate.zip?dl=0

Comment

The firmware trick worked, Thanks again.

Comment

That's good news... glad to hear it worked for you too.

I am curious... where did you source your replacement DSP chip? All the ones I've bought from Aliexpress have clearly been fakes or simply didn't work when fitted. The eBay ones I have bought have had about a 50% success rate but were obviously not new as claimed and I'm not sure if they were reballed 'D' variants or just remarked 'B' variants.

The only reliable source seems to be salvaged parts from later model Onkyo receivers but these tend to be worth more than the Pioneer that needs the chip.

Comment

I bought a B version off of ebay from seller named "miantaxia-0". Couldn't find a D version so I rolled the dice. Time will tell how long it lasts.
                                        Last edited by Decim8; 05-05-2022, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I assume that was a Chinese supplier since they seem to be the only ones selling these now?

Most claim to be selling 100% brand new, blah blah blah for both B and D versions but these parts are subject to Dolby licencing and only available new to OE manufacturers, so it's unlikely to be true.

The D version is the upgraded part so should be more reliable. I've seen B chips last as long as 30k hours though and start working again after a light reflow with some liquid flux.

I bought a faulty VSX-53 last year and converted it to UK voltage with an old Onkyo 808 transformer. I replaced the B DSP twice with Aliexpress (fake) D chips but neither worked. In the end I reballed the old B chip and put it back. It's still working 6 months later!

I know the D830 chip in Onkyos runs a lot hotter than the D810 in Pioneer units but the D810 failures seem more down to the lead free solder balls than the chip itself. I always use leaded solder balls on any replacements.

Comment

Working...
                                          X