• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 50L1350U - Dual Image/Horizontal Shift After Power Outage

Toshiba 47" (I think) TV
    Model 50L1350U
    Chassis Unkown (pictures included)

This happened right after a day of power outages, so I presume there was a surge. It worked fine for the duration of most of a movie after the outages, and then started doing this. Everything seems to work just fine except for the "shiftiness" which you can see in the pictures. This happens to the OSD stuff as well as the movies. Happens with HDMI as well as analog RCA input. Nothing else seems to be amiss.

I already opened the back to check for any fuses or burnt looking components. I have a multi-meter and a soldering iron. Not afraid to get my hands dirty on this one (I am a PC repair tech, never worked with TVs before). There is a fuse in the back, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's bad.

If it were a computer, I'd point at the video chip and replace it (or the board it's attached to). So I'm tempted to just replace the motherboard as well as what looks like the power supply board and see what happens, but I wanted some of your experienced advice before I spent any money.

Lots of pictures included. Some are huge, so instead of blowing up the size of this page I made links to most of them.

http://i.imgur.com/nT9JLti.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/K4Ld3mp.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/hZBejiQ.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/VvIBEBS.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/LKNWWfL.jpg

more close-up imaged can be found here: http://caibbor.imgur.com/all/

Thanks you in advance!

Re: Toshiba 50L1350U - Dual Image/Horizontal Shift After Power Outage

Nevermind
    Last edited by heavymachines; 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Is the picture flickering well you're getting the dual image? This sure does look like panel failure
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
        Is the picture flickering well you're getting the dual image? This sure does look like panel failure
        The "dual image" kind goes from a normal image back to dual every second or so (sometimes less, sometimes more).

It's like it wants to go "into focus" but just can't.

the light doesn't flicker, no. the backlight stays on entirely.

Comment

That's panel failure. Try this take off the metal frame exposing the LCD panel edges and use a heat gun and heat up the edges from top to bottom each side as you're watching the picture period does it straighten out?
          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Can't help on this but perhaps you can help someone else who has a similar set with a different problem.

What reading do you have for the voltage driving the leds?
            Thanks
            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
              That's panel failure. Try this take off the metal frame exposing the LCD panel edges and use a heat gun and heat up the edges from top to bottom each side as you're watching the picture period does it straighten out?
              I took a heatgun to the edges and sides and everything, I didn't notice any difference. I didn't get it TOO hot, but it was a legit heat gun and warmed it up pretty good. What else do you suggest I do?

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
              Can't help on this but perhaps you can help someone else who has a similar set with a different problem.

What reading do you have for the voltage driving the leds?
              Thanks
              Sorry this took so long, but I'd be happy to help. You just want the voltage between the on/off LED? I'm not sure what a "driving led" is.

Comment

Someone else was having problems and couldn't decide what the voltage to the panel leds for this set should be. The thought was anyone else with this model doing a search on the forum would have the answer.
                Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

The storm may have cooked something, I'd try to find a reasonable main board as a start, good luck.

Comment

After I tried the heat gun trick, I gave up and walked away an left the TV on. I came back to find the TV was no longer displaying anything at all and no backlight. So as it stands, it just doesn't do anything at all.

considering replacing the mainboard.

Comment

Any progress?

Comment

did you cut ckv lines?

Comment

Working...
                        X