Standard UK sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard UK sockets

Hi all does anyone know what is the max voltage a twin uk plug socket will take,can you, for example, have six-way adaptor in one socket and another or smaller in the other,running just tings like dvd,tv,set top boxes and so like.

Re: Standard UK sockets

voltage is 230-250v,
    your talking amperage.

the maximum current per socket is 13A continuous - although i have seen some cheap ones melt if you do that!!!
    it really does not matter how many things you connect as long as the amps dont total over 13.

and just for fun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7DOh_dT740

Comment

so i can have a two four way adaptors with dvd,hifi,etc aslong as each device don't exceed 13amp

Comment

yes
        infact if you go over 13A it will just blow the fuse in the 4way anyway.

Comment

Multi-socket adapters are pretty much essential in HiFi, TV cabinets and on electronics workbenches but you have to be mindful of the kind of appliances you plug in. stj is right to warn about the danger of drawing close to the 13A limit. The construction standards of typical multi-socket adapters tend to be nowhere near as good as those found in the kind of outlets built into houses.

I like to fit the mains plug of a multi-socket adaptor with a 5A fuse just to make sure it doesn't accidentally get overloaded. Four lots of up to 300Watts can still be supplied which should be plenty. If appliances individually draw significantly more (e.g. kettles, toasters clothes Irons etc.) then do everything you can to plug them directly into a wall outlet.

I have a pair of frankly insane 12-way socket panels on the wall above my workbench but they're typically full of little phone chargers and the like. I doubt they ever see more than a couple of Amps pass through.

Comment

on one 6 way i have
            dvd player
            virgin box
            usb hub
            amazon box
            hdmi splitter
            xbox

that is plugged into one of the twin wall sockets

the other socket just powers the tv but wanted to plug in either 4 or 6 way for other things ps4 and like

can i do this ?

Comment

Comment

yes, those items use hardly any power.

Comment

technically so long as you dont switch everything on at the same and max running power of everything added up is no more than 13 amps it should be fine .. when powering things up start with highest current one first then next lower one etc etc .

Comment

Hey, how did you manage to take a picture of my office area?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      voltage is 230-250v,
                      your talking amperage.

the maximum current per socket is 13A continuous - although i have seen some cheap ones melt if you do that!!!
                      it really does not matter how many things you connect as long as the amps dont total over 13.

and just for fun:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7DOh_dT740
                      Most of the cheapo Poundland stuff just uses a few aluminium strips for the conductors... and they're really thin!!!

Comment

and the fake poundland fuses .. the led solar floodlights are good though for the price

Comment

Working...
                        X