Hot Air Station - Air Pump Failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Air Station - Air Pump Failing

I've not done it, but I have opened other similar pumps (desoldering gun and aquarium air pumps), which were fairly straightforward.

As madan1 says, these designs are very simple.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
      Is replacing the diaphragms a straight forward thing?
      Totally... nothing to mess up.

Remove the parts circled in red ( 4 bolts per side + 1 big in the middle ) as a whole, the diaphs are the yellow things, each is held by a bolt and 4 small plastic pins. Keep an eye on the gaskets around the diaphs, cause you might need them ( if you do not have new ones in the repair set )

Originally posted by caphair View Post
      Anyone know if these pumps can be purchased assembled anywhere?
      Most likely you can.. still depends on where you live.. of course China is always an option.

p.s. When you are installing the new diaphs, you might have issues positioning the piston because of the magnets wanting to stick to the solenoids. If you remove the bottom/top plate, you can get the solenoids out and make you life easier
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks madan1 for that. Seems easy enough

Do you know the name of the pump if I’m trying to find the entire assembly? Curious on price compared to just the diaphragm kit

Comment

IIRC I found one pump on AliEx but the price was too high to make the repair worthwhile. I could not find the diaphragm kit.

Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Comment

try searching for "soldering station pump", "rework pump", "yihua pump", "hakko pump" etc.
            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pull...245511084.html
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...a/222256079311

On mine I just cut out the diaphragms from a sheet of rubber. Not really the best solution, but still did the work.
            Here is another "bad diaph." project - https://okelectronic.wordpress.com/2...ion-repairing/

p.s. I was also not able to find locally, China or EU a pump repair kit.
            Last edited by madan1; 05-01-2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

@madan1 What type of rubber did you use? Might go that route. Was it durable enough to get proper air speed?

Also do you know the type of glue use to secure the hoses at each end? Mine has a white-ish type of glue

Comment

hoses are probably done with silicone sealant.
                get it from a builders shop in a cartridge, or you get ripped off if you buy small tubes.

Comment

I did not use any glue for the hoses. Just zip tied them to the nozzles.
                  The rubber sheet I got from a local shop.. it's just a generic 1mm rubber sheet. It's not really the best solution, because it is too stiff, but works for me. I use the air usually for small smd components and do not really need high air volumes.
                  I think silicone rubber sheets will be better.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by madan1; 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

get a pair of thick rubber gloves and cut them up??

Comment

Today the air flow started acting up and cuts out unless on the highest setting.

Sometimes after going to the highest setting and back down it’ll work but not consistent.

I measured the ac voltage at the connector going to the pump and when it’s working it steadily rises from 38vac on lowest setting to 118vac on highest.

When it cuts out it measures from 28-34vac on any setting except the highest which kicks the pump back on at 118vac

Would this be an issue with the pump itself?
                      Last edited by caphair; 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I think it's mechanical stiction in the pump, high friction that needs it set high to get it moving, rotating.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                          I think it's mechanical stiction in the pump, high friction that needs it set high to get it moving, rotating.
                          Would that explain the voltage readings when it cuts out?

Comment

A stalled pump rotor would draw more current and give lower voltage for a given control setting. Once it's spinning, the voltage reading would go up. It's just an AC light dimmer/TRIAC doing the speed control, no regulation. A multimeter with true-RMS will read the voltage more accurately.

So I'm thinking the pump is getting stuck and it's not the electronics at fault.

But if you suspect the pump speed control TRIAC circuit, you could put a 25W light bulb in place of the motor and see how it works as a light dimmer.

Comment

are you sure it's a phase-angle dimmer?
                              my old station had a 555 timer driving the triac.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                are you sure it's a phase-angle dimmer?
                                my old station had a 555 timer driving the triac.
                                I’m honestly not too familiar with the two types or the operation of these units. What should I look for to determine? Here’s a pic of the unit.

Does the hot air heater run straight off the mains and the soldering iron off the 24vac tap?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by caphair; 03-23-2019, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Do these diaphragms look bad?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I connected a 40w bulb (lowest wattage I had) across the motor terminals and it lights but dimly and doesn’t increase in brightness with increasing air speed knob, only when on full air speed does it get brighter.

So seems like a controller issue. How would I go about figuring out the problem? Weird that sometimes it works. I tried gently tapping on components when it’s acting up hoping maybe a bad solder joint but it had to affect
                                    Last edited by caphair; 03-23-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I think this YH852D+V2 pump is mains AC powered, with other 852D+ variants instead using the 24VDC wand blower fan. Here I see three triacs, two opto-couplers, one DIAC.

The AC triac controls are 24VAC to the soldering iron, the other for switching mains to the hot air heater, and last one Q7 for phase-control switching (what I think is) AC mains to the pump. I might be wrong but I think it's a fish-tank kind of pump so it needs AC.

There is a 1MEG trimpot U3... for the pump speed control (minimum?). Careful the TRIAC heatsink is hazardous live, if you go in there with a screwdriver to twirl it.
                                      Trimpot U1, U2 by LM358's are for temperature cal.

I have found bad potentiometer that made it "all or none", and once I had a TRIAC become very insensitive and same result. I would expect the light bulb test to have some part-way brightness?

If bumping the station changes things, it might be bumping the pump to start it or there is a bad solder joint or wonky potentiometer.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                        I think this YH852D+V2 pump is mains AC powered, with other 852D+ variants instead using the 24VDC wand blower fan. Here I see three triacs, two opto-couplers, one DIAC.

The AC triac controls are 24VAC to the soldering iron, the other for switching mains to the hot air heater, and last one Q7 for phase-control switching (what I think is) AC mains to the pump. I might be wrong but I think it's a fish-tank kind of pump so it needs AC.

There is a 1MEG trimpot U3... for the pump speed control (minimum?). Careful the TRIAC heatsink is hazardous live, if you go in there with a screwdriver to twirl it.
                                        Trimpot U1, U2 by LM358's are for temperature cal.

I have found bad potentiometer that made it "all or none", and once I had a TRIAC become very insensitive and same result. I would expect the light bulb test to have some part-way brightness?

If bumping the station changes things, it might be bumping the pump to start it or there is a bad solder joint or wonky potentiometer.

Bumping doesn't change anything. When I had the lightbulb connected it seemed the same brightness (dim) up to the highest air setting then it goes full brightness. I also noticed some hiccups in the light when changing settings. Some quick instances of the light going off then back on.

Should I attempt to play with the trimpot for pump speed?

How could I test the pot and triac? I was wondering if cleaning the pot would do any good but it seems different than I'm used to seeing. Almost looks like there's silicone grease inside the enclosure

Comment

check the soldering and do a recap.
                                          my old one, they hadnt even stuffed the parts into the board properly before soldering them!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X