Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 1707FP no power

Originally posted by PlainBill
    We may have a winner!!! What is the part number for U404 (three pin device to the left of the gm5621-LF).

PlainBill
    If my eyes aren't play tricks on me, the part# is DF64

Comment

A better pic - Is that device a voltage regulator of some sort?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bob12345; 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bob12345
        A better pic - Is that device a voltage regulator of some sort?
        If I'm correct, it's a reset controller. A quick background: Processors often have internal charge pumps, etc that require a finite time to stabilize after the chip receives power. Plus of course, the power supplies themselves require time to stabilize. The common way to do this was with a resistor/capacitor network holding the processor in reset until the cap charged. The problem is the timing was not consistent, and the relatively slow rise time of the reset line would cause problems. It also doesn't reset quickly in case of a power glitch. Thus the reset controller. That busy little circuit holds a comparator, an oscillator, a counter, and a driver. When the power comes on the driver holds the processor in reset. Once the comparator senses the supply is above a preset level (90% of nominal supply voltage, it allows the oscillator to drive the counter. Once the desired delay has been reached, the driver releases the reset and the processor starts.

Measure the voltage on the three pins of U404. Also, there are three voltage regulators to investigate. Measure the voltage on all three pins of U601, U602, and U902.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

If I'm correct, it's a reset controller. A quick background: Processors often have internal charge pumps, etc that require a finite time to stabilize after the chip receives power. Plus of course, the power supplies themselves require time to stabilize. The common way to do this was with a resistor/capacitor network holding the processor in reset until the cap charged. The problem is the timing was not consistent, and the relatively slow rise time of the reset line would cause problems. It also doesn't reset quickly in case of a power glitch. Thus the reset controller. That busy little circuit holds a comparator, an oscillator, a counter, and a driver. When the power comes on the driver holds the processor in reset. Once the comparator senses the supply is above a preset level (90% of nominal supply voltage, it allows the oscillator to drive the counter. Once the desired delay has been reached, the driver releases the reset and the processor starts.

Measure the voltage on the three pins of U404. Also, there are three voltage regulators to investigate. Measure the voltage on all three pins of U601, U602, and U902.

PlainBill

Thanks for the info PB,

As for the voltages:

I've measured them relative to each pin (probes across pin 1 - 2 for example) on the 4 components - pins as per the attached image.

U404:

Pin 1 - 2 = 0V
          Pin 1 - 3 = 1.24V
          Pin 2 - 3 = 1.24V

Voltages between pins 1-3 and 2-3 on the U404 seems to start at 1.24 then drop off to 0, bit unstable but perhaps showing the operation as you described.

U601:

Pin 1 - 2 = 5.2V
          Pin 1 - 3 = 1.24V
          Pin 2 - 3 = 3.96V

U902:

Pin 1 - 4 = 0V
          Pin 2 - 4 = 0V
          Pin 3 - 4 = 0V
          Pin 1 - 2 = 0V
          Pin 1 - 3 = 0V
          Pin 2 - 3 = 0V

U602:

Pin 1 - 4 = 0.4V
          Pin 2 - 4 = 0V
          Pin 3 - 4 = 0.84V
          Pin 1 - 2 = 0.4V
          Pin 1 - 3 = 1.24V
          Pin 2 - 3 = 0.84V

The middle pin of the cluster of 3 (between pins 1 and 2) on the U602 doesn't seem to be connected to the board - i assume this is connected as pin 3.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bob12345; 04-24-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info PB,

As for the voltages:

I've measured them relative to each pin (probes across pin 1 - 2 for example) on the 4 components - pins as per the attached image.

U404:

Pin 1 - 2 = 0V
            Pin 1 - 3 = 1.24V
            Pin 2 - 3 = 1.24V

Voltages between pins 1-3 and 2-3 on the U404 seems to start at 1.24 then drop off to 0, bit unstable but perhaps showing the operation as you described.

U601:

Pin 1 - 2 = 5.2V
            Pin 1 - 3 = 1.24V
            Pin 2 - 3 = 3.96V

U902:

Pin 1 - 4 = 0V
            Pin 2 - 4 = 0V
            Pin 3 - 4 = 0V
            Pin 1 - 2 = 0V
            Pin 1 - 3 = 0V
            Pin 2 - 3 = 0V

U602:

Pin 1 - 4 = 0.4V
            Pin 2 - 4 = 0V
            Pin 3 - 4 = 0.84V
            Pin 1 - 2 = 0.4V
            Pin 1 - 3 = 1.24V
            Pin 2 - 3 = 0.84V

The middle pin of the cluster of 3 (between pins 1 and 2) on the U602 doesn't seem to be connected to the board - i assume this is connected as pin 3.
            Ohhh, my head hurts. These numbers aren't making sense to me. OK, let's try to make some sense of what is going on here. In the upper left corner of the board is a mounting hole, which seems to be designed to contact the metal mounting screws. That SHOULD be ground. Verify by measuring the resistance to the - lead on several of the caps, please. (This should be low - under 1 ohm).

Set the meter on DC volts, and with the power on measure the voltage from ground to the pins of U404, U601, U602, and U901. ALSO list the part numbers of U601, U602, and U902, please.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ohhh, my head hurts. These numbers aren't making sense to me. OK, let's try to make some sense of what is going on here. In the upper left corner of the board is a mounting hole, which seems to be designed to contact the metal mounting screws. That SHOULD be ground. Verify by measuring the resistance to the - lead on several of the caps, please. (This should be low - under 1 ohm).

Set the meter on DC volts, and with the power on measure the voltage from ground to the pins of U404, U601, U602, and U901. ALSO list the part numbers of U601, U602, and U902, please.

PlainBill
              So to verify I checked the mounting hole at the top left, resistance is low, as you said around 0.5-1ohm, the voltage relative to the negative cap terminals was indeed 0 so confirmed that as GND reference.

So measurements relative to GND at the respective pins (layout as before):
              U404:
              Pin 1: 0V
              Pin 2: 0V
              Pin 3: 1.24V

U601:
              Pin 2: 5.21V

U902:
              Pin 3: 0V
              Pin 4: 0V

U602:
              Pin 2: 0.4V
              Pin 4: 0.4V

Part numbers of components (as read from top to bottom on each device):

U601:
              A1
              AS117R-33
              B0606

U902:
              LD117A
              L33ATB

U602:
              A1
              AS1117L-18
              B0548

Thanks

Comment

So to verify I checked the mounting hole at the top left, resistance is low, as you said around 0.5-1ohm, the voltage relative to the negative cap terminals was indeed 0 so confirmed that as GND reference.

So measurements relative to GND at the respective pins (layout as before):
                U404:

U601:

U902:

U602:

Part numbers of components (as read from top to bottom on each device):

U601:
                A1
                AS117R-33
                B0606

U902:
                LD117A
                L33ATB

U602:
                A1
                AS1117L-18
                B0548

Thanks
                Bingo!!! U 601 is a 3.3 volt regulator; it's output is 1.24V; U602 is a 1.8 volt regulator; it's output is .4 volts and it's getting it's input from U601. With those voltages the processor won't run. I'm not sure about U902; I think it provides power for the panel.

PlainBill

Comment

Bingo!!! U 601 is a 3.3 volt regulator; it's output is 1.24V; U602 is a 1.8 volt regulator; it's output is .4 volts and it's getting it's input from U601. With those voltages the processor won't run. I'm not sure about U902; I think it provides power for the panel.

PlainBill
                  PB do you suggest replacing all those parts? Ie the U404, U601, U602 and U902? Its strange there is no voltage across the U902 - a result of the other faulty components down the line?

Comment

I'm in fact having trouble even trying to find datasheets from the part number of these components!

Comment

I'm in fact having trouble even trying to find datasheets from the part number of these components!
                      There are some errors in your list. Not surprising, considering the size of the IC, and the propensity to conserve space by omitting characters.

The AS1117R-33 is here.

For the AS117L-18, use the same datasheet, it's probably from a different vendor.

The LD1117A again is a similar part. It may again be a 3.3 v part, or it may be an adjustable regulator.

The next step requires finesse. Starting with the AS1117R-33 I'd remove the part and test it with 5V in, and a 25 ohm load. If the output was wrong, I'd replace the part with a new one. If the output was right, I'd try to determine why the output was overloaded, perhaps by removing the AS117L-18.

We've been seeing a number of these recently, but with the output voltage too high. That usually kills the processor or it's support chips.

PlainBill

Comment

There are some errors in your list. Not surprising, considering the size of the IC, and the propensity to conserve space by omitting characters.

The AS1117R-33 is here.

For the AS117L-18, use the same datasheet, it's probably from a different vendor.

The LD1117A again is a similar part. It may again be a 3.3 v part, or it may be an adjustable regulator.

The next step requires finesse. Starting with the AS1117R-33 I'd remove the part and test it with 5V in, and a 25 ohm load. If the output was wrong, I'd replace the part with a new one. If the output was right, I'd try to determine why the output was overloaded, perhaps by removing the AS117L-18.

We've been seeing a number of these recently, but with the output voltage too high. That usually kills the processor or it's support chips.

PlainBill

I'll try and tackle the removal and testing of those parts as you mentioned during the week. In the mean time I think I'll order some replacements for the above. I'm assuming as the original parts are likely to be tricky if not near impossible to get hold of, compatible ones of the same rating (voltage), current output, package type, basically the same or better than the specs in the datasheet would do the job? Do you think its worth replacing that U404 considering the details of its part number are pretty poor (DF64?).

Also the LD1117A - is this likely to be a similar datasheet

Once again PB, thanks for all your help, very much appreciated!

Comment

I'll try and tackle the removal and testing of those parts as you mentioned during the week. In the mean time I think I'll order some replacements for the above. I'm assuming as the original parts are likely to be tricky if not near impossible to get hold of, compatible ones of the same rating (voltage), current output, package type, basically the same or better than the specs in the datasheet would do the job? Do you think its worth replacing that U404 considering the details of its part number are pretty poor (DF64?).

Also the LD1117A - is this likely to be a similar datasheet

Once again PB, thanks for all your help, very much appreciated!
                          The two voltage regulators are 'jelly bean' parts - available from a number of ventors; sometimes with different part numbers, all serving the same function. The ST datasheet is for the equivalent part from a different vendor. The ST parts have a higher current rating.

That DOES bring up an interesting point. Why weren't you able to detect an input voltage for U902? If that is a 3.3V regulator, it must be fed from the 5V supply. Doh!! Maybe it's switched off until commended on by the processor?

I also wouldn't consider doing anything with U404. Again, it appears it isn't receiving the proper voltage, so it's inactive.

PlainBill

Comment

The two voltage regulators are 'jelly bean' parts - available from a number of ventors; sometimes with different part numbers, all serving the same function. The ST datasheet is for the equivalent part from a different vendor. The ST parts have a higher current rating.

That DOES bring up an interesting point. Why weren't you able to detect an input voltage for U902? If that is a 3.3V regulator, it must be fed from the 5V supply. Doh!! Maybe it's switched off until commended on by the processor?

I also wouldn't consider doing anything with U404. Again, it appears it isn't receiving the proper voltage, so it's inactive.

PlainBill
                            Yeah its strange there was no voltage on the U902, i checked it a couple of times when I tested. Does this mean a possible processor fault - ie the processor not telling it to turn on as you mentioned?

Comment

Yeah its strange there was no voltage on the U902, i checked it a couple of times when I tested. Does this mean a possible processor fault - ie the processor not telling it to turn on as you mentioned?
                              I think that's what is happening. After all, the panel itself takes a fair amount of power. Why not reduce the energy consumption by turning off the power to the panel at the same time you turn off the inverters.

PlainBill

Comment

Before ordering these parts, based on the output voltages being under, can I assume that the processor is ok? (i know that both under voltages and over can damaged an IC but under is surely better than over?). Cause if the processor is damaged then I guess its probably economical to just find a replacement board.

Comment

Before ordering these parts, based on the output voltages being under, can I assume that the processor is ok? (i know that both under voltages and over can damaged an IC but under is surely better than over?). Cause if the processor is damaged then I guess its probably economical to just find a replacement board.
                                  Assumptions are dangerous. However, yes, if I had determined that the voltage regulator was defective, outputting too low a voltage I wouldn't hesitate to order a replacement part. Knowing what I know now, I would hesitate to replace one that had output too high a voltage.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks Bill, I'll order up a load of voltage regulators whilst I try and figure out my other broken monitor! I wish I got the easy and obvious problems like bulging caps - oh well such as life but I guess I've learnt a load so far!

Comment

Thanks Bill, I'll order up a load of voltage regulators whilst I try and figure out my other broken monitor! I wish I got the easy and obvious problems like bulging caps - oh well such as life but I guess I've learnt a load so far!
                                      Well, a couple of weeks ago I picked up three monitors; a 'dead' Dell 17", a 19" Samsung, and a 22" Proview. Both the Proview and Samsung had symptoms that indicated bad caps. Open them up and found a bunch of cheap bulging caps. Put together a list, and one of the caps for the Samsung is out of stock.

Now I take a look at the Dell. It's got the power supply, inverter, and video circuitry on one board. No power LED, but the power supply is good. All the regulators for the video circuitry check out; all the caps check out with the ESR tester. Drag out the scope and the crystal is working. Check the wires to the front panel, all buttons are feeding signal back to the main board.

There are only three ICs in the video section; a gm 2621LF, a 24C02WI, and a Pm25LV010. The first is the video processor/ control chip. The second is the serial EEPROM, the third apparently holds the firmware (I can't find datasheets on the gm2621-LF). About all I can do at this point is to check to see if serial data is passed to the two serial chips. Then I can order parts.

PlainBill

Comment

Hi, I just got a monitor with the same problem, I have checked the voltages and are the same.

U404:

U601:

U902:

U602:

Did you get your one working, what parts did you replace.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                                          Hi, I just got a monitor with the same problem, I have checked the voltages and are the same.

<SNIP>

Did you get your one working, what parts did you replace.

Terry
                                          I did try a blank 'user settings' serial eeprom without any success.

In another thread Per Hansoon had a similar problem which he resolved by reloading the IC containing program memory. Note that this requires removing the chip from the board and using the appropriate programmer to program it. It also requires a source of the firmware. He found his on a Russian site.

In the past few days I've learned (from a thread here) that one of the LCD repair stores is selling proms preloaded with firmware (but nothing compatible with these monitors) for a very reasonable price (under $5.00).

Given the difficulty Per had building an adapter (he mentioned wires and duct tape), that bears further research.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X