No announcement yet.

Problem with Dell Inspiron 530S Cannot do dual channel, even with matched RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Dell Inspiron 530S Cannot do dual channel, even with matched RAM

Even when it's a 775 board! Also manufactured in 2008.

It appeared to be fine in early August or late July!

Now, the following will occur:

If I try to use both channels, the BIOS will go bleep--bleep--bleep--bleep-----bleep--bleep--bleep--bleep and repeat!

Or I just get turbo fan!

The board only is usable in single channel!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: Problem with Dell Inspiron 530S Cannot do dual channel, even with matched RAM

Did you try each stick separately?
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Re: Problem with Dell Inspiron 530S Cannot do dual channel, even with matched RAM

Bad Northbridge?
      Incorrect RAM voltage in BIOS?
      Noisy vCore or VRM in general from bad caps?
      Timing/speed of RAM correct for board?
      veritas odium parit

Comment

No Vcore problem and the timings are right. Also using a matched dual channel kit.

And the PC appears to be fine in single channel.

It cannot be Vcore if I'm able to install Vista and apply all service packs in single channel. Zero OC'ing.

And with a bad northbridge, Windows installation should have failed, even with single channel.

I'm been wondering if I need to reflow the solder for the DIMMs?

The board only has a fit if I populate the other half of slots.

The northbridge appears to be a P35.
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
          Incorrect RAM voltage in BIOS?
          Bull. It's not that 2.1 V crap, and you cannot change the VDIMM in the BIOS.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

How about running Memtest86?
            Had a matched set of Corsair do that after 3 years.
            BIOS set to do the "full" checking on boot instead of quick?

PS: Got another board to check sticks in?
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              No Vcore problem and the timings are right. Also using a matched dual channel kit.

And the PC appears to be fine in single channel.

It cannot be Vcore if I'm able to install Vista and apply all service packs in single channel. Zero OC'ing.

And with a bad northbridge, Windows installation should have failed, even with single channel.

I'm been wondering if I need to reflow the solder for the DIMMs?

The board only has a fit if I populate the other half of slots.

The northbridge appears to be a P35.
              Not true windows can and often does install fine with a partial failure of the northbridge relating to memory management.

More information would help like what speed is the memory you are trying to use have you trying lowering the speed when using both sticks. Are you installing the pair in the proper slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Try a single stick in each slot 1 slot at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                Not true windows can and often does install fine with a partial failure of the northbridge relating to memory management.

More information would help like what speed is the memory you are trying to use have you trying lowering the speed when using both sticks. Are you installing the pair in the proper slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Try a single stick in each slot 1 slot at a time.
                Unless you mean just a dead channel. And I can't change any frequency.

Interestingly, it seems I also can't populate any of the slots on the other half.

It seems that I have to put RAM in the white-marked slot and the black one right next to it for it to boot!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Unless you mean just a dead channel. And I can't change any frequency.

Interestingly, it seems I also can't populate any of the slots on the other half.

It seems that I have to put RAM in the white-marked slot and the black one right next to it for it to boot!
                  did you try both dual channel pairs? a lot of boards require a certain slot populated first or else it goes bleep-bleep like that...
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    did you try both dual channel pairs? a lot of boards require a certain slot populated first or else it goes bleep-bleep like that...
                    It don't matter which slot and even with the RAM that appears to be the original!
                    (Samsung of 1 GB total 512MB x 2) (Like on my Asus P5QL Pro)

Samsung appears to be typical for OEM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

sounds like you have a bad northbridge then.
                      sigpic

Comment

So you are saying slots 1 and 2 work but 3 and 4 fail when you just try 1 stick testing 1 slot at a time? If that is the case then it sounds like the northbridge to me maybe a bad mosfet if you are lucky. I use this http://www.drivestar.biz/desktop-ddr...led-p-461.html its handy.

Comment

Interestingly, it seems that I can use both slots on one side, but not the other:

Like this:

11 00

And not:

10 10

Nor:

01 01

Nor:

10 01
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

And it's currently like this:

00 11
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

dual channel for that board should be either

10 10 slots 1 and 3

or

01 01 slots 2 and 4

checking each slot 1 at a time using only 1 stick

10 00 slot 1 does it work?
                              01 00 slot 2 does it work?
                              00 10 slot 3 does it work?
                              00 01 slot 4 does it work?

if those tests pass then test with 2 sticks at a time and try.

11 00 slots 1 and 2 (this is single channel mode using channel A) does it work?
                              00 11 slots 3 and 4 (this is single channel mode using channel B) does it work?

if all those tests pass then try.

10 10 slots 1 and 3 (this is dual channel mode using both channels) does it work?
                              01 01 slots 2 and 4 (this is dual channel mode using both channels) does it work?
                              Last edited by brethin; 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

dual channel for that board should be either

10 10 slots 1 and 3

or

01 01 slots 2 and 4

checking each slot 1 at a time using only 1 stick

10 00 slot 1 does it work?
                                01 00 slot 2 does it work?
                                00 10 slot 3 does it work?
                                00 01 slot 4 does it work?

11 00 slots 1 and 2 (this is single channel mode using both channels) does it work?
                                00 11 slots 3 and 4 (this is single channel mode using both channels) does it work?

10 10 slots 1 and 3 (this is dual channel mode using both channels) does it work?
                                01 01 slots 2 and 4 (this is dual channel mode using both channels) does it work?

10 00 slot 1 does it work? -> No problem found.
                                01 00 slot 2 does it work? -> No problem found.
                                00 10 slot 3 does it work? -> No problem found.
                                00 01 slot 4 does it work? -> No problem found.

11 00 slots 1 and 2 (this is single channel mode using both channels) does it work? -> Yes
                                00 11 slots 3 and 4 (this is single channel mode using both channels) does it work? -> Yes

10 10 slots 1 and 3 (this is dual channel mode using both channels) does it work? -> Failed! (usually repeated bleeping)
                                01 01 slots 2 and 4 (this is dual channel mode using both channels) does it work? -> Failed! (usually repeated bleeping)
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Looks like a bad northbridge then im afraid. You could teats all the caps and the mosfets but my guess is they will test fine.

Comment

You might also try another CPU. I have seen rare cases where a bad CPU prevented memory to work in dual channel mode. But that was only on AMD cpus, never seen it happen with a intel cpu its always been a bad northbridge.
                                    Last edited by brethin; 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Looks like a bad northbridge then im afraid. You could teats all the caps and the mosfets but my guess is they will test fine.
                                      Let me guess, bad BGA on northbridge?
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Let me guess, bad BGA on northbridge?
                                        no, just a bad chip.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X