Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Originally posted by mookee View Post
    have the same problem like all of you...acer logo for second than black if i dont turn on-out-on-out....
    Please post clear focused pictures using manage attachments of your boards like the OP in post #1. Please do not post inline.

Manufacturers make changes to boards and your board may not be the same as the others. Even the slightest change is important.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hi,
      guess u are right, sorry, its just that this thread seems to have come from the hundrets to the tousands without a clear explonation for the following problem:

i turn on my al2416w and nothing happens than a short picture of the acer logo and than it goes out again, but remaining with the power-led in green(on) state. if i switch it on and off several times the thing finally stat up and i have a picture.
      (in open state i can see, during the on-off procedure, that the light just can`t get really startet, like a failing motorengine, untill it finally seems to get what it takes to really become enlightened) sorry for my english

so, besides what has been said here, some forums say that u have to change the 4 glued caps ( but 1 or 2 at my picture 1157)

anyway, cap 3 and 4 at my other picture 1152 look somehow done but in a way that could be coused by zigarretesmoke either

at 1154 it looks ok

i hope there will be a simple solution for this problem so many others have( oh funny, my other monitor died just right now, by sympathie i guess..nevermind,) had before.

please

lg christoph
      Attached Files

Comment

if i switch it on and off several times the thing finally stat up and i have a picture.
        Your english is fine.

The above sounds like bad capacitors. As the capacitors age, they die from heat. When cold, the capacitor's ESR (ohms) is high. With repeated turning on/off, the capacitors start to heat up and ESR drops.

so, besides what has been said here, some forums say that u have to change the 4 glued caps ( but 1 or 2 at my picture 1157)
        Bank 1 is difficult to tell due to your circle and the angle of the picture. Bank 2 looks like it has domed or bulged capacitors, but again it is hard to be 100% sure due to the angle of the picture.

Maybe take the pictures of bank 1 and 2 again from a different angle so we can confirm.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes. Replace -all 10- caps first and see what happens. It seems that the over voltage or over current protection trips and causes it to shut down. It's meant to protect the circuit in the event of a bad tube. Repeatedly pressing the power button gets the circuit fooled just long enough to get it working.

You may also have a weak or failing tube(s).

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

thanks for both and the fine english..

thought the problem would be on the main power board 1154

guess i misunderstood.

so i will change the green caps from 1157

many thanks veterans

ps. just saw "that" on the bottom of main power unit. two stripes are connected. hope thats the way it should be or doesnt matter. i dont think i did that. hmm

lg christoph
            Attached Files

Comment

thought the problem would be on the main power board 1154
              Your description

i turn on my al2416w and nothing happens than a short picture of the acer logo and than it goes out again, but remaining with the power-led in green(on) state.
              tells us it is not likely the power supply. The fact that you see the logo and the power led stays green suggests the power and logic board are working fine.

so i will change the green caps from 1157
              Make sure to use high quality low ESR capacitors. You can buy from this list.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

ps. just saw "that" on the bottom of main power unit. two stripes are connected. hope thats the way it should be or doesnt matter. i dont think i did that. hmm
              Your picture is not in focus at all.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                Your description
                tells us it is not likely the power supply. The fact that you see the logo and the power led stays green suggests the power and logic board are working fine.

Your picture is not in focus at all.
                yeah i know, its, ähm, my camera. its just two of the paralell siver stripes are connected with tin by what reason ever. guess its ground anyway

thanks for the list and i will be back after the operation

lg c

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

Roaming the vast reaches of the internet has brought me to your site with one of the issues found in this thread (My AL2416 has become cranky when trying to start in the morning, taking multiple tries before the CCFL's stay on). Just want to say "Thanks!" for the info, and I'll be getting in touch with Topcat now that I have my first post so that I can get these caps.

-jc

Comment

hi there

as told i just installed ten new caps on the light-inverter yesterday and, tada...got a good as new 26 " acer al2416 hd monitor. (i found it in the trash by the way..https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images...on_biggrin.gif)

i had to use "jamicon" caps instead of recommended high qualiy brands, but, as they were the only caps i could get my hand on easyly and as they work fine for now i guess its ok.

some say the reason for the collapsing original caps is that they are always on load , even in standby mode, so as i always cut my powersupply after using my pc even the ceaper caps might to the trick for longer

took 4 euro and 1 houre time.
                    thank you guys! you realy figured it out..

lg christoph

Comment

WRONG!

Jamicon are -not- low ESR caps as you were advised to use by retiredcaps. You just wasted time and you'll be back in there within the year, I guarantee.

Toast
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

blub
                        Last edited by mookee; 01-04-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Getting ready to replace 10 caps on two boards myself. Same model, My caps blew from the front, noticed the pins do not protrude through the boton of the board, I am assuming that it is a multilayer board with surface moumt caps, any special precautions or preps to take? thanks

Comment

actually not realy. just use highquality caps from the list above if u can.
                            sometimes i like the internet...

Comment

10 rubycon 50V 100uf low esr caps (and a burn on my hand from the iron...rusty at this stuff) and my monitor starts first try. The replacement caps were slightly larger than the stock caps so it was a bit of a pain getting them all on their respective pads, but the prettiness of the solder joints doesn't really matter so long as the contacts are strong.

Thank you guys for the info. I'm glad I found this site with the info necessary to fix this myself. My kids also enjoyed seeing me hunched over components with wifts of funny smelling smoke around me.

Comment

I have same monitor with similar problem.

1) When I turn monitor Acer logo shows up for a second and goes black
                                2) I do not see any bad caps on the power supply, logic board or inverter
                                3) Monitor is connected to a good video card with good cable.
                                4) Power LED is green
                                5) Voltages on inverer rail: 1 through 12 shows 0, 12-3.2, 13-2.5, 14-0
                                6) Voltages on rail to logic board: 1-4.96, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-4.96, 6-4.96, 7-4.96, 8-0, 9-0, 10-3.2, 11-3.2, 12-3.2

This is too nice of the monitor for not to be fixed Please help
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wenter View Post
                                  I have same monitor with similar problem.

1) When I turn monitor Acer logo shows up for a second and goes black
                                  2) I do not see any bad caps on the power supply, logic board or inverter
                                  3) Monitor is connected to a good video card with good cable.
                                  4) Power LED is green
                                  5) Voltages on inverer rail: 1 through 12 shows 0, 12-3.2, 13-2.5, 14-0
                                  6) Voltages on rail to logic board: 1-4.96, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-4.96, 6-4.96, 7-4.96, 8-0, 9-0, 10-3.2, 11-3.2, 12-3.2

This is too nice of the monitor for not to be fixed Please help
                                  Classic 'two seconds to black' problem. Let's try the easy stuff first.

1. Select any transformer on the inverter. Measure the resistance between the two upper pins. If it is in the range of 500 - 2000 ohms you have identified the ends of the secondary, go to step 3.

2. Measure the resistance between the upper right pin of the transformer and each of the other pins on the transformer. If any of those resistances fall in the 500 - 2000 ohm range you have identified the ends of the secondary.

3. Measure the resistance of the secondary on each transformer. What are the exact resistances? If all of them are within 3% the transformers are probably good. You have either a bad CCFL, a problem with the wiring to a CCFL, or a bad capacitor. A capacitor can fail without any physical signs.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks for reply

I measured the resistance on transformators. It is.
                                    1-1779
                                    2-1781
                                    3-1782
                                    4-1783
                                    5-1780
                                    6-1781
                                    7-1777
                                    8-1778
                                    9-1779
                                    10-1779
                                    11-1789
                                    12-1778

Here is picture of contacts I was measuring.

So now I should order some 100uf 35v capacitors and replace them?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for reply

I measured the resistance on transformators. It is.
                                      1-1779
                                      2-1781
                                      3-1782
                                      4-1783
                                      5-1780
                                      6-1781
                                      7-1777
                                      8-1778
                                      9-1779
                                      10-1779
                                      11-1789
                                      12-1778

Here is picture of contacts I was measuring.

So now I should order some 100uf 35v capacitors and replace them?
                                      No. You measured the wrong points. Note that 'top' referred to your original picture. Measure from the point labeled HV to the other pins.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

On picture 1 - how my meter i set
                                        On #2 it is showing the value
                                        On 3 I numbered the contacts of transformator.

On 1 to 2 value shows up for a second and disappears
                                        on 1 to 3 - nothing changes
                                        On 1 to 4 - value shows up for a second and disappears
                                        On 1 to 5 - value shows up and remains still
                                        On 1 to 6 - nothing changes

Here are the reading for all 12 transformators for contacts 1 - 5
                                        1-515
                                        2-521
                                        3-512
                                        4-522
                                        5-508
                                        6-528
                                        7-517
                                        8-517
                                        9-521
                                        10-518
                                        11-517
                                        12-518

What do I need to do next?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

On picture 1 - how my meter i set
                                          On #2 it is showing the value
                                          On 3 I numbered the contacts of transformator.

On 1 to 2 value shows up for a second and disappears
                                          on 1 to 3 - nothing changes
                                          On 1 to 4 - value shows up for a second and disappears
                                          On 1 to 5 - value shows up and remains still
                                          On 1 to 6 - nothing changes

Here are the reading for all 12 transformators for contacts 1 - 5
                                          1-515
                                          2-521
                                          3-512
                                          4-522
                                          5-508
                                          6-528
                                          7-517
                                          8-517
                                          9-521
                                          10-518
                                          11-517
                                          12-518

What do I need to do next?
                                          Pat yourself on the back. That was EXACTLY the kind of work I was hoping for.

Here are the readings, rearranged in order of resistance.
                                          5-508
                                          3-512
                                          1-515
                                          7-517
                                          8-517
                                          11-517
                                          10-518
                                          12-518
                                          2-521
                                          9-521
                                          4-522
                                          6-528

Note that half the transformers are bunched up around 515 - 518 ohms. 5 and 6 are outliers, but not so far that I would suggest replacing them without a further test.

Whoa!!! I just noticed C105? (next to pin 1 of the 6th transformer from the left). It looks scorched. Is that a trick of the light, or is it real? If it is real,that could be the problem.

This is a little tricky, so be careful. Notice there are 6 connectors to the CCFLs. They are numbered CN6 to CN1 from left to right. I suggest doing this in a room with just enough light to see what you are doing.

Disconnect the plugs from CN5 to CN1. Turn the monitor on; there should be a flash from the screen (This may be more visible from the back of the monitor, or you could be feeding it an all-white picture). Note the brightness.

Disconnect the plug from CN6 and connect CN5's plug to CN5. Turn the monitor on, compare the brightness of the flash to the first one.

Repeat this for CN4 thru CN1, with only 1 connector connected at a time. If all flashes are the same, it's time to start replacing caps. If one (for example CN4) is visibly dimmer than the others, swap connectors - plug the cable for CN5 into CN4 and retest. Disconnect, then plug the cable for CN4 into CN5 and retest.

If any lamps connected to CN4 are visibly dimmer, the problem is one of the transformers. If the lamps connect to the plug that normally goes into CN4 are dimmer, the problem is either the lamps or the wiring.

Of particular note, you will be dealing with painful voltages here. Work carefully!!

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X