Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Still a good catch though. So you payed +/- $390 + $80 is $470 for a working OLED! ( If mainboard turns out to be ok... )

Why not keep it?
    I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

looks a nice set looking at the specs heres a link to a service manual and lets hope the tv your picking up shares the same main board
      https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...eg9600-Ua.html

Comment

I guess OLED tv will fail very easily at the panel, LCD technology is already delicate and OLED with more power to the screen matrix will have much unrepairable problems..
        So Freak, to be more clear, M25Q is not a eprom, you say that CPU and eproms (24c like) are reached by 3v5sb and the serial flash not? Then you've probed where's connected the flash's VCC pin? Which max voltage works with it?
        Where do you've found that datasheet? I can't find it.. Anyway N25Q032 by Numonix seems an exact compatible and it is powered by 2,7-3,6v so if you find 3,5v on vcc pin of 24c eeproms then you have power also on the ser-flash..
        Last edited by Davi.p; 12-28-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

On this TV there is no 5 V stand by its 3.5 V. The Macronix is one, there also is a is the ATML eeprom.

None of the 8 pin regulators seem to be getting any VCC either.
          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Meaning I can trace the 3.5v into the main cpu. There is power to the input button board and the remote IR, but that's it.

Comment

I say 3v5sb no 5v, it's a fast notation.. 3v3=3,3v; 3v5sb= 3,5Volt Stand By..
              "8 pin regulators"?? which them are?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                Well after realizing that mainboard will not send ps on, I decided to jump the gun figuring this is some firmware related issue with previous board swaps by LG and Best Buy geek squad, I jumped PS_ON, DRV_ON, and 12v_ON, and got this with funky sound coming from tcon. Frequency reset sounds. Panel is shorted.

Probably a roasted COF there. I tried the usual panel ribbon disconnect method and got a few horizontal striped lines on the left side but with LVDS disconnected I can tell tcon is trying.to show test patterns by the frequency sounds it's making, but.no picture. If I disconnect power and reconnect I can get a quick flash of one pixel line wide at the very top of the panel.

If I look closely I can see a dull black raster filling the screen except the 3 inches in the area where the vertical lines are present telling me that the area is not receiving VCOM, but DVDD has to be there or I wouldn't see the lines I believe.
                What the heck is a COF?
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

COF, Chip on film.. the IC rhat is mated into the ribbon cable that controls gate driving of the panel. This is the ribbon fusedd to the panel mated to the driver boards.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                    COF, Chip on film.. the IC rhat is mated into the ribbon cable that controls gate driving of the panel. This is the ribbon fusedd to the panel mated to the driver boards.
                    OK! Thanks, like the usual LCD panel stuff, which results in most folks crying about a bad panel, and thus throws in the towel... And they're also the things that like to take a shit on Sharp LCD panels...
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-28-2017, 10:22 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Not only Sharp , but most panels!

Does this oled screen also have tabs on the side like a LED/LCD? Never saw a oled with the back off...
                      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Ok so I went to go look at that other TV last night downtown with the broken panel. I had the gentleman plug it in and test and it does same thing.

LG power logo comes on dim. Pushing power but not TV does absolutely nothing distant quick flicker. Pushing power button with remote yields a flashing white power light.

I am almost certain that this is some kind of a lockout to cause any damage to the boards because of a cracked panel or bad panel.

Looking at the schematic for this board Shows the layout and there are a few pins in connectors for different types of jigs From LG I'm sure. They must have some way of removing the lock out feature enabling the board again.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-29-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Let me understand, you swapped one mainboard with another and the result is the same? What about my question in post #46? OLED screen must be not equal to LCD ones, on lcd there's a transistor per pixel, on OLED at least one led per pixel and who knows if something else more? We can't talk about gate or source drivers..
                          Last edited by Davi.p; 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

No he did not swap the board. He looked at another LG OLED and he found out it does the same thing as this tv.

Mainboard detects a fault in the circuit and shuts down to prevent other damage. ( Like Panasonic plasma ).

Comment

Also OLED works similar like plasma...if something hits the screen the whole tv does not work anymore.
                              A damaged LCD/LED will still display some kind of picture.

Comment

Correct. And I'm not certain but it appears that when there is a fatigue or short circuit within an O LED panel the main board locks the system out. The hardest part working in an OLED appears to be the tcon board. Its job is to take the 24 V and 12 V panel on that feeds into that board and disperse each pixel accordingly. The 4 ribbon cables from the tcon to panel are extremely robust. Very heavy duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                  I say 3v5sb no 5v, it's a fast notation.. 3v3=3,3v; 3v5sb= 3,5Volt Stand By..
                                  "8 pin regulators"?? which them are?
                                  No regulators on the board or eeprom appears to be getting any voltage. No VCC to anything. Now like I said before with a series of 1 ohm resistors I can power up all voltages to the main board and tcon. It soon as I apply power supply on, I have 12 V and 24 V into the main board as well but it's not doing anything with these voltages, . In standby only 3.5v to main board.

And with these 3.5 V I can scope that going into the main processor but not coming out or going anywhere else except for the IR/power button board.

Comment

The remote responds to the TV and upon pressing power on the remote yields the flashing light. Pressing power on the TV does nothing except make the dim power LED flicker a few times. If I press power on the remote during the flashing cycle and I hold down the power button on the TV it will mediately stop flashing and it will go back to the dull dim standby LED. This makes me think that it's locked out from functioning

Comment

You could check the 24VD to the OLED panel. See if that is active.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom. 24v to panel not active unless forced on. This Can't happen unless 12v forced along with drv_ON. Still doesn't difference with the main board. Even with ps_on also. All I get is a dark matte priming of panel
                                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-29-2017, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Also I would like to add that on the connector to the main board from power supply there is also a 12 and 24v that doesn't come active unless PS on is forced. These are independent from 12 and 24 V going to the T con

Comment

Working...
                                          X