I'm not sure it gets more gutless than this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure it gets more gutless than this

When my dad asked me to 'fix' his battery maintainer he knew they were fix able cause someone 'fixed' his old one a long time ago, well here i am holding this 'old' one, it belongs in a museum, i assume what few parts are quality ones cause this was from the days when people used quality stuff, i guess quality and design are very different things

This think has absolutely no regulation

I found 2 diodes in the bottom of the box just laying there
    This thing appears to have 3 components
    1 diode (assuming 1 is the old one, or the guy just dropped one and did not bother to remove it)
    1 light bulb thingy, looks to be a thermal disconnect to prevent a burning out the transformer
    1 transformer (rated at 3 amp)

the diode has this on it
    1N
    I R
    forward voltage is 0.5v
    Attached Files
    Last edited by evilkitty; 11-30-2017, 07:41 PM. Reason: typo

Re: I'm not sure it gets more gutless than this

That's all they could do without (cheap) op amps back then...

Comment

Typical of its time. Transformer, diodes, and thermal breaker. Nicer ones had an ammeter too.
      Usually, you'd put in bigger diodes, like 1N5401s or 6A10s (3A & 6A respectively), and non-crumbly AC and battery cables. Possibly battery clamps too.

A common trouble point is that voltage selector switch. Just permanently wire it for 12V out.
      Last edited by kaboom; 11-30-2017, 09:17 PM.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Just a simple 60Hz (half wave) or 120Hz (full wave, depends on how those two diodes are connected to the transformer winding) pulse charging.
        Last edited by budm; 11-30-2017, 11:17 PM.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

by drawing skill are lousy but this is how the circuit looks to me
          i am assuming a diode goes between the disconnect and 0v
          i am assuming the one that was there melted the solder and fell out or the soldering was crappy
          Attached Files

Comment

Where is your diode or diodes in this drawing ( or a bridge rectifier )

This is a not a requirement but it might work more efficiently if you put a 47000uf @35 volt cap in it with a bridge rectifier

Then you would have a one amp power supply that is filtered so use as a batteries charger or a power supply you could also put a switch on the cap if you did not want it filtering the power supply all the time
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-01-2017, 03:52 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I see a Radio Shack power transformer 12.6VCT and a glass thermal circuit breaker, missing two half-wave rectifiers.

I made something like this and the output voltage was all over the place, it usually dried out the battery.
              I would stick a LM317 and heatsink, 1A is more than enough for a float charger.

Comment

The question is what do you want to do with it, if you just want to restore this back to how it was originally, you only need to insert the diode back in, cathode to the "0v" node and anode to the thermal break.

Chances are, someone was working on this before and abandoned it for whatever reason, IMHO.

Comment

Hello evilkitty,
                  You could try the circuit shown below:

If you want to keep it original though, then follow
                  eccerr0r's suggestion.
                  Regards,
                  Relayer

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                    Where is your diode or diodes in this drawing ( or a bridge rectifier )

This is a not a requirement but it might work more efficiently if you put a 47000uf @35 volt cap in it with a bridge rectifier

Then you would have a one amp power supply that is filtered so use as a batteries charger or a power supply you could also put a switch on the cap if you did not want it filtering the power supply all the time
                    The diode is missing in the circuit cause it is missing in the unit, i drew what i saw, not what what i think it should be
                    notice the black wire at the top of the unit has nothing on it
                    i was just gonna restore to original 'working' order, my dad has so much of this shit, it is not worth the effort
                    i have 6 units (varying model #s) to look at next to me and he bought another today, at least that one has a 5 year warranty, which is respectable by PC PSU standards

@Relayer
                    What software or website did you use toe make that image?
                    while i did consider making it better, i really do not have interest in doing so
                    Last edited by evilkitty; 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Hello evilkitty,

What software or website did you use toe make that image?
                      I originally drew it using my Eagle schematic proggie.
                      I then did a screen capture and opened it using Corel 7.
                      I removed any unwanted values, arrows and location marks.
                      I then converted it to 8-bit greyscale.
                      I used Micro$oft Photo Premium 10 to place the watermark.

while i did consider making it better, i really do not have interest in doing so
                      Pity. Since its so old, it would be considered a vintage item, and perhaps worth a few dollars to a collector.
                      Regards,
                      Relayer

Comment

Originally posted by Relayer View Post
                        Hello evilkitty,
                        You could try the circuit shown below:

If you want to keep it original though, then follow
                        eccerr0r's suggestion.
                        Regards,
                        Relayer
                        Why do you have D2 in the circuit for? It is half-wave so only one diode is needed.
                        BYW, the output will not be 12V due to the cap will be charged up to the peak of the AC Voltage, it will be higher than 12V.
                        Last edited by budm; 12-01-2017, 08:21 PM.
                        Never stop learning

Comment

AC output looks to be 13.8v
                          but there are 2 diodes in the circuit so the total Fv would be about 2v
                          we would have 11.8v after that v drop

Comment

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
                            AC output looks to be 13.8v
                            but there are 2 diodes in the circuit so the total Fv would be about 2v
                            we would have 11.8v after that v drop
                            What are the AC Voltage between 0V pin of the transformer and the 6V pin of the transformer, same for the OV pin and the 12V pin of the transformer?
                            Did you actually fins out how the two diodes are connected in the circuit?
                            Do not forget the Voltage you are reading is not pure DC due to no filter cap in the circuit. You meter is trying to measure pulsing DC.
                            Look up rectifier circuit to know what the output wave form will look like without filter cap and how to calculate what the DC Voltage will be.
                            http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_5.html
                            Last edited by budm; 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM.
                            Never stop learning

Comment

Hello budm,

Why do you have D2 in the circuit for? It is half-wave so only one diode is needed.
                              Could you please tell me the detrimental effects if two diodes were in circuit rather than one?

BYW, the output will not be 12V due to the cap will be charged up to the peak of the AC Voltage, it will be higher than 12V.
                              I realize this, and yet it originally had one diode and no filtering what so ever. Ripple would have been relatively high with half wave rectification.
                              So what should I have labeled the output voltage. 13.4, 16V with ripple???
                              Regards,
                              Relayer

Edit:
                              @ evilkitty
                              The more I look at that thermal disconnect, it looks more like a mercury tilt switch.
                              Is one of the components pigtail attached to the top of the transformer?
                              Last edited by Relayer; 12-02-2017, 04:19 AM. Reason: Query

Comment

Pity. Since its so old, it would be considered a vintage item, and perhaps worth a few dollars to a collector.
                                Regards,
                                Relayer
                                If we are going for vintage wouldn't original working order be better? as opposed to adding a pcb with a few components in it?
                                to my understanding it just needs to ~$0.50 diode to be vintage
                                now if wanted to upgrade this design i could slap a few caps in this thing and rewire it, but then it would not be original in its design, all of the components are on the ground side of the circuit

definitely not a mercury tube, it looks similar to a blinking bulb in a Christmas tree light string, just looks less cheap
                                it looks to have a spot welded or soldered joint to the top of the transformer
                                this is a metal brace to a non-conductive material that was made to hold 2 components, looks to have been used to hold wires to they do not move and break the disconnect

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  What are the AC Voltage between 0V pin of the transformer and the 6V pin of the transformer, same for the OV pin and the 12V pin of the transformer?
                                  Did you actually fins out how the two diodes are connected in the circuit?
                                  Do not forget the Voltage you are reading is not pure DC due to no filter cap in the circuit. You meter is trying to measure pulsing DC.
                                  Look up rectifier circuit to know what the output wave form will look like without filter cap and how to calculate what the DC Voltage will be.
                                  http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_5.html
                                  i was measuring the transformer's AC output, no diode in circuit
                                  the loose diodes do not have the proper amp rating, i am guessing someone used 2 thinking it would be good for 2a, was that myth believe back in the day?
                                  I did manage to get my dad to tell me the last guy that fixed it told him it was upgraded to 1.5A, so i guess the thermal disconnect broke last time; therefore there is no way to reliable use the 1A diodes
                                  Last edited by evilkitty; 12-02-2017, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Hello budm,

Could you please tell me the detrimental effects if two diodes were in circuit rather than one?

I realize this, and yet it originally had one diode and no filtering what so ever. Ripple would have been relatively high with half wave rectification.
                                    So what should I have labeled the output voltage. 13.4, 16V with ripple???
                                    Regards,
                                    Relayer

Edit:
                                    @ evilkitty
                                    The more I look at that thermal disconnect, it looks more like a mercury tilt switch.
                                    Is one of the components pigtail attached to the top of the transformer?
                                    This isn't ripple, that is "pulse charging" and that is what they actually wanted. Lead acid batteries love to be pulse charged they desulfate really well like that. Depending on the voltage of the charger, you may have to unhook the battery from the car. I am pulse charging all my lead acid batteries. You don't find a "smoothing" capacitor on the alternator to charge the car battery either.

Comment

i have the exact unit on my bench.
                                      i use it for long term eq/desulphating.
                                      its not a maintainer.it can hit 16v at light load.
                                      iirc mine has selenium rectifiers.

Comment

it looks like 2 of the units he gave we were chargers, one has a bad switch, rewired it to only be 12v

Comment

Working...
                                        X