Sony KDL-46Z4100 bad T-Con?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46Z4100 bad T-Con?

I've seen a few threads about this issue, but no clear conclusion. I have a Sony KDL-46Z4100 and when I turn it on, it powers on and the backlight comes on. Then there are some lines down the right side of the screen. If I hit the Guide button on the remote the lines change and a white cloud slowly grows from the right side of the screen to the left (see linked video) and some more lines show up on the left side of the screen.

From my previous experience with a Sony 46XBR6 TV I had, I figured the problem was the T-con board. I bought a replacement on eBay and the TV still exhibits the same issue.

Do you think...
    1) I got a 2nd bad T-con board off eBay (sounds crazy, but with my other Sony TV I ended up getting THREE bad T-con boards before I finally got a good one and everything worked), or ...
    2) Bad main board, or ...
    3) Bad panel?

Help.

Video: http://******/2fVhS0Y
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-46Z4100 bad T-Con?

I should also mention that if I look at those lines you see in the picture closely I can very faintly see some letters in the upper-right corner of the screen (where the input would normally display), and if I press the input button, the lines fade away very slowly and other lines appear in different places very slowly.

Comment

I'm thinking bad panel. What happens when you unhook t-con to panel cables one at a time?
      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Try flexing the panel to see if the lines will change.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Flexing panel had no effect. Pictures of panel with left ribbon disconnected and right ribbon disconnected are attached below.
          Attached Files

Comment

sounds like panel to me. you could strip it down to the screen and see if pressure on or around the cof chips affects the picture.
            WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

It does looks like a bad panel fault especially the way it sweeps across the screen.
              Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Update on this set. I would've given up on this days ago, but I wanted to take the investigation to its conclusion because I saw so many threads here regarding this model or similar models that never got closure

I bought a new T-Con and a new Main Board.

Old T-Con, Old Main: Lines down screen, but TV stays on.
                New T-Con, Old Main: Lines down screen, but TV stays on.
                Old T-Con, New Main: Lines down screen, TV shuts off with 14 blink code (High Frame Rate 120Hz Error)
                New T-Con, New Main: Lines down screen, TV shuts off with 14 blink code (High Frame Rate 120Hz Error)

**Q1: Not sure why the behavior is different with the new main board vs the old main board? Any ideas on that?**

But the symptoms at this point do seem to point to a defective panel. I took the front apart and tried putting pressure on each of the tab bonds both on the panel side and the circuit board side. No effect. The panel LOOKS ok, so I'm thinking maybe defective components on the circuit boards that are bonded to the panel.

**Q2: What do you all think? Defective panel? Due to faulty components?**

Comment

Gents, any thoughts on my questions above? Thanks!

Comment

I would say bad panel and bad new mainboard
                    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

"1) I got a 2nd bad T-con board off eBay (sounds crazy, but with my other Sony TV I ended up getting THREE bad T-con boards before I finally got a good one and everything worked), or ..."

Interesting, i have suspected theese things happens, because people get bad diagnose by bad technicians or by Internet forums and he put his board on sale like them are good.. it think.. bah..
                      I think you have 2 bad tcons, and the second mainboard is maybe ok but not completely compatible (settings/software), but this maybe must be added to a bad lcd panel that ruined tcon. A diagnose can't be done without testing voltages on the tcon.

Comment

I still think it's a bad panel. I currently have a set that does exactly as shown in the video. If I keep quickly changing Source I will sooner or later get a picture but still showing bleeding on highlighted areas of the picture.
                        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Dick i think you refer to those picture with vertical wake.. but i dont know if this is the case.. let wait OP tests..

Comment

what's the history on the set?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know the history. Someone local gave the set to me for free. He said one day he turned it on and it had the lines down the screen, but that's all I know about it.

I'd be surprised if I have 3 bad T-Cons especially since I have bought from the current seller in the past and everything they have shipped me has been in working condition. BUT on the last Sony set I had I went through 3 bad T-Cons before I got a working one (probably because of what Davi.p said - people think their board is good and LCD panel is bad and sell the board as "working" when it's actually not working; I should note the working one I finally got was from the current seller) AND the difference in main board behavior does make me wonder if that board is bad as well.

I'd hate to trash the set because I think I have a bad panel and the problem is actually something else that could have been fixed.

Do you have a list of voltages I should test on the T-Con? Maybe I can give it one more go before I give up on it

Comment

I need a photo of the tcon in hires perpendicular and without reflections, a good idea is to grab it from Shopjimmy and post here, search for its model code, i'm unable to see that site.. for now, just to make you in action, watch the board, you see a column of 4+4pin chips, those are almost sure power mosfets, are you able to test them for short?

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                  I need a photo of the tcon in hires perpendicular and without reflections
                                  Here's the pic of my T-Con (model A-1564-648-A). I also included a pic of A-1564-648A v2 because I'm not sure how to distinguish whether I have a v1 or v2 board.
                                  Also, I don't see the 4x4 pin chips you're talking about. Can you point them out? Thanks!
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Daveleone; 11-04-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveleone View Post
                                    Unfortunately, I don't know the history. Someone local gave the set to me for free. He said one day he turned it on and it had the lines down the screen, but that's all I know about it.

I'd be surprised if I have 3 bad T-Cons especially since I have bought from the current seller in the past and everything they have shipped me has been in working condition. BUT on the last Sony set I had I went through 3 bad T-Cons before I got a working one (probably because of what Davi.p said - people think their board is good and LCD panel is bad and sell the board as "working" when it's actually not working; I should note the working one I finally got was from the current seller) AND the difference in main board behavior does make me wonder if that board is bad as well.

I'd hate to trash the set because I think I have a bad panel and the problem is actually something else that could have been fixed.

Do you have a list of voltages I should test on the T-Con? Maybe I can give it one more go before I give up on it
                                    sell one tcon board and wait for complaint .

Comment

if i buy a board its because its cheaper than fixing one .i generally buy ones from smashed panels .or so they say .
                                      it sometimes make me wonder why it got smashed .

Comment

HI, i refer to your first photo, that is the only important, i will mark in () the tension is supposed to be for me approx., points 1 (12V), point 2 (3,3v), point 3 (<0v), point 4 (>20v), point 5 (>12v), point 6 (<12v), the point 6 are fuses, must be measured on one terminal and the other. Blue rectangular shows the power mosfet that i know usually fails on that type of boards, measure in diode mode between the 3 legs joined and 4 legs joined, one way and other (swap probes). Good work..
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Davi.p; 11-04-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X