• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone!

Comment

Hello all,

My name is Guy and I'm from England. I'm a electronics hobbyist and I'm also a professional hardware support technician -- a position which I've held for almost a year. I care about quality in everything that I do, and designing and building electronics is no exception.

I've met a lot of bad capacitors throughout my life, and my job is no exception to that. I've had the misfortune of having to repair some Dell Optiplex 745s that constantly have the same 5 bad capacitors over and over. I mostly use Nichicon HE and Panasonic FR capacitors to replace them as I like to know that my repairs are going to last.

I'm glad to be a part of a community that cares about quality.

Comment

Hello all,
        a used 20" iMac G5 that lasted 6 months has given me a new project.
        Looking forward to reviving it!

GS

Comment

hi guys,

am a complete noob, but hope to fix a lcd power board with the help of this forum.

Comment

Hello to all from nightec.I am a electronics tech and look forward to taking part on this forum

Comment

hello all !
              i have been a repair tech for a few years but mostly just swapping boards,but now i am wanting to get in deeper. i have been repairing some dell computers, always the same bad caps easy but now i want to learn more about board repair. so thanks in advance for any help !

Comment

Finally!
                Great minds think alike! Looking forward to being apart of the team!

Comment

Hi am Phil and I graduated with Biology degree so have little knowledge in electronics. Except few topics on caps, resistors and inductances my physics teacher talked about. All the same i managed to fix my laptop fans which i was very intrigued. I am from central virginia. yeah and i hope u be easy on me hear since am still learning something here. I am planning to go back to school for electronics. hope this forum will be fun.

Comment

My name is Spork.

Hello everybody. My real name is Ken but I prefer to go by Spork Schivago. My friends call me Spork, Captain, Captain Doctor, Doctor Schivago and some times Captain Doctor Spork Schivago. Just so you know, I do not have a doctorate or anything. I once owned a boat though. I used to program for a company named Deposit Computer Services, Inc. I also repaired computers and helped administrate their network. Right now, I work at home fixing people's computers. I love doing technical stuff and I have been getting into taking someones schematic and soldering all the necessary components on it to make it work. I wish I knew a lot more about digital electronics though.

{: - )
                    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Hi everyone, my name is Ray. I'm troubleshooting an Acer AL2416W LCD Monitor which has lost it's Red color. I learned to work on TV's in the 60s when my father would repair them. I have done little to keep up with the technology since so I'm sure I have alot of big gaps in my knowledge of electronics repair. I'm here to learn what I can.

Comment

Hi to all, new member joining for information, help, experiance and to assist anyone if possible .. Jason

Comment

Hello Tigerray and Neotheone. I've have gotten excellent help from the members here. I just signed up a few days ago. This truly is a great site for anyone having trouble and for people who like to help others and provide their experience. I'm certain you fellows will find this site as useful as I have. Best of luck to you!
                          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

I currently work as a maintenance technician in the Phoenix Arizona region. I wear a number of "hats" doing everything from building computers that control analytical test equipment to electronic repair of said test equipment, to machining fixtures and parts when necessary. Currently I have eight pieces of test equipment that require an AGP motherboard due to an AGP Matrox Orion video card necessary for image overlay operations. I built the computers in 2006 with ASRock Dual Sata II motherboards that have run flawlessly until now. I've had two motherboards die in the past month with the same condition. When I try to power them up the CPU fan comes on but nothing else, no hard drives, no floppy or CD drives, no video, no post attempt. I've replaced caps in hundreds of Dell and Asus motherboards over the years and these two boards' caps appear to be ok.
                            I have a Bob Parker Blue ESR meter that I've spot checked a number of the capacitors with. Does anyone have any experience with this particular motherboard? I've already used the one spare I had in stock and so far haven't determined what is causing this failure. I've looked for used boards online as well but really don't want to buy the same board if I can't repair them in the future. Thanks.

Comment

Hello to you all, professionals and enthusiast and hobbyist. i will rank my self into last two I'm from Serbia, i work as an air traffic controller in Belgrade. I have many hobbies Electronics, RC flying and modeling and much more. I started recently with lcd repairs because i see some extra money in it and a perfect way to do what i like: troubleshooting
                              So see you around.
                              Aleks

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                another Brit here...not a trained engineer/tech but like to think a bit of knowledge/common sense can give a new lease of life to my gear.

My mum was a war child (WW2) and hence I grew up never wasting anything unless unavoidable. At some point I realised that even REALLY complex devices sometimes had simple fixes to give them a new lease of life. Darbey's Law states that, if you take something that's broken apart and then put it back together again, 50% of the time it will work. For the other 50% it seems that badcaps are at fault.

My current project is a plasma tv that I couldn't bear (or afford) to throw out. I've replaced the bad caps on the board, replaced the power supply and am now looking at problems with the SUS boards...I'm not giving up and I'll see where the ride takes me!

Nice to meet you...

Comment

Thanks for letting me in. I looked at a power supply for a flat screen monitor I bought for a buck, noticed some of the electrolytic capacitors on it had blown out. Googled it the mfr name(CapXon), and found this forum. These capacitors ARE crap. Four on the power supply board, two 220 microfarad, two 1000 microfarad. Voltage is 25V. Only four used, and all blew out. Their crap gave me an ultracheap monitor, one buck initial investment, maybe seven bucks in parts equals a used flatscreen that has already had its weak part shown and maybe eliminated. I'm going for exact duplicate caps tomorrow. Radio Shack had the caps in 35V, and I was afraid to use them. Am I right in doing so? It seems the power in joules held would be twice as much. I think they are on the low side of the transformer circuit, haven't checked for sure.

Comment

Another thing-has anyone known if a HP G70 had the same problem as some of the other HP laptops with the NVidea chip getting loose and having to be reset with a heat gun? I have a bad motherboard on this one, and got instructions on ebay for resetting it for the HP dv 6000 and types like it.

Comment

Originally posted by burkew View Post
                                      Radio Shack had the caps in 35V, and I was afraid to use them. Am I right in doing so?
                                      For a lcd monitor, especially on the power board, you require low ESR (ohms) capacitors. Radio Shack is unlikely to carry such caps. They sell general purpose caps. The difference between the two can be an order of magnitude.

See my standard advice for replacing caps (regulars may skip) at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3

PS. This thread is not to ask for help, but for introductions. You may want to ask the moderators to move your post + my response to you. Sorry, it wasn't until I hit submit that I noticed it was in the new members thread.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Burke, if you haven't already, I sugget you start a thread about this in the Monitors forum, and provide the info from the cap. The mfrs rt mentioned - Nichicon, United Chemicon, Rubycon, Panasonic - are all good, but they offer lots of different types of products. Knowing the Capxon serie will help folks cross-match the Capxon parts to similar but more reliable parts from a good mfr.

A capacitor is an energy storage device, not an energy source. So a 100uF capacitor charged to 10V has in it the same amount of energy, whether it is a 16V part or a 25V part.
                                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Found this forum searching for an apparently common problem for a Dell 2005fpw. Looking forward to opinions on the power board as I can't see anything obviously wrong with the pcb/caps.

Comment

Working...
                                          X