Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Question,

How long are the sets holding up after the procedure? I have several I can pickup dirt cheap.

Comment

Hey Guys, just wanted to say thanks to ALL involved! I was able to save this 70" bad boy! It's now my primary TV.
      A little spin as to what I was reading in the thread. Admittedly I did not read the whole 40 pages.
      So I had a different transistor that seemed to be shorted. I did not remove it from the board for testing. So I looked for all the correct voltages and found them!? I thought for sure the Tcon would have shit itself?
      So anyway, I isolated the side with the bad chip and took the ribbons off and she was good!
      Biggest and cheapest TV I have ever owned.....Thanks to you guys. I meddle a bit but would have NEVER been able to figure this one out!

Comment

Just bought a vizio e701i a3. With black screen but power and sound. Replaced tcon board and about 10 minutes later it faded black from left to right. Would this be the same symptoms as mentioned or should I just get a better tonight board. Again 5years old and just went out. Thanks much

Comment

Originally posted by Tim1232k View Post
          Just bought a vizio e701i a3. With black screen but power and sound. Replaced tcon board and about 10 minutes later it faded black from left to right. Would this be the same symptoms as mentioned or should I just get a better tonight board. Again 5years old and just went out. Thanks much
          yes the tabs need to be removed from the bad side of the panel that went dark first then new or repaired tcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hy4woj View Post
            Question,

How long are the sets holding up after the procedure? I have several I can pickup dirt cheap.
            same here.. I have a 60" waiting on a tcon thats coming today and have repaired a 70" and a 60" (60 just needed new tcon)

Comment

Originally posted by ewilli10 View Post
              Back from the dead!! A big thank you to all the contributors to this thread! Add me to the list of success stories! For those keeping track, it was the LEFT side driver board that was bad on mine. I opted to get a new T-Con board instead of trying to micro-solder new transistors on the original board. But, I also highly recommend ordering 2 T-Con boards, as it's essentially a 50-50 shot that the first one will fry on startup. Very happy she's up and running again!
              not really though because you get a few seconds before the tcon would fry out again... you just have to kill the power as soon as you can see which side of the v logo is darker.

Comment

Originally posted by Charleyd View Post
                I just completed a fix of a Vizio E701i-A3. I'd like to share a few lessons:

1) If you look up your T-Con board at www.shopjimmy.com, you will see that there is a whole slew of compatible T-Con boards:
                http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-runtk...d-see-note.htm
                You can use the list there to look for your best deal on ebay or wherever, however . . .

2) Based on the following info posted by freakaftr8 (page 32, post #634):

"It appears that the lower-end Vizio/Sharp/Sony that uses the e701's t-con board is the only board that seems to short out when failed drivers happen. All the Sony and sharp in Vizio 3D models seem to have more robust t-con boards that can handle the side drivers shorting. Also on a side note I would like to add that I ran across another customer with the common shorted-out t-con bad right hand side drivers on an E701. I was able to use the t-con board out of a Sony 70-inch 3D model and it worked perfectly."

I chose a RUNTK5489TPZA board (which, I believe, is from a Sony) instead of one of the RUNTK5261 boards which is what came out of my TV. [I did go through the trouble of trying to fix my T-Con and was very careful and the repair looked beautiful, but the board still did not work.] The lay-out of components on the 5489 boards is slightly different than the 5261 boards. It doesn't have the FET in the location shown in post #3 that everybody is replacing. I believe that the 5489 boards are more robust. This is based freakaftr8's info above plus the fact that I operated my TV for a good while (maybe a total of a minute or-so) with the incorrect corner ribbon disconnected while I tried to decide whether I had guessed correctly as to which side to disconnect first, and the TV kept working. [What I was seeing with the bad side connected and the good side disconnected was the bottom 4/5 of the screen had a halfway-decent picture and the top 1/5 was black (Keep in mind that there are five side driver tabs, so my top driver was the problem.). When I finally had the BAD side DISconnected and the good side connected, I saw a nearly-perfect picture on 4/5 of the good side and a dark image on the bad side.] So two lessons here: Choose a 5489 board (which will tolerate making the wrong guess as to which side to disconnect for much more than a few seconds), and when you see a ~perfect image on the connected side of the screen (over most of the height anyway), you can feel confident that your DISconnected side is the one that is bad.

3) A third related lesson is just buy a replacement T-Con board that is not one of the ones from the E701i-A3, e.g., one of the 5489 variety. If you are going to buy FETs, you are going to want to get several, and with shipping, it will cost you $10-$11. Plus, it is no trivial task to unsolder/resolder the FETs. And, when you are done, the T-Con may still not work. To clinch the deal, the 5489 T-Con that I bought cost me all of $7 with shipping.

4) When pealing the tabs off of the screen, if you peal them in one motion - either from the top-down or from the bottom-up, you will leave a little corner piece of the tab on the sceen. The last little bit of corner just wants to stick to the screen and tears off of the tab. So peal a little bit from the top or bottom first, then switch to the other end and tear the whole tab from there.
                I tried this 5489 za board and it did not work for me at all. (in both the 60" and 70" vizio) mine came from a 60" LG

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
                  I tried this 5489 za board and it did not work for me at all. (in both the 60" and 70" vizio) mine came from a 60" LG
                  I have to make a correction here... I tried the 70" tcon in the 60" version and it worked but the image wasnt correct. The 5489 board did however work perfect in the 60" after fiddling with the cables and trying it multiple times v However it was not working correctly in the 70" when I tried it, perhaps I did not have a ribbon cable seated correctly.
                  I just removed these tabs from another a 60" today to repair it.

Comment

I have a kdl 60r520 uses same tcon I don't have side driver boards . Anyway to determine which side has the bad tabs? Already fried one tcon have another new one ready .

Comment

Originally posted by Budlady88 View Post
                      Having similar problems with mine, but tv will actually power on with picture that flickers and then after varying periods of time, screen goes black but still have audio. Not sure if the fixing procedure would be the same since I can get an initial picture if its been off for a while.
                      Having similar problems with mine, My picture flickers non-stop. sometimes it just goes black after the "V" comes up. other times it stays on for awhile i have nothing currently hooked up to it to see if i have sound but there are darker areas on the screen one looks to be near the right side bottom and the right side area looks darker than the left if youre facing the tv.
                      its a Visio E701i-A3
                      all ive done was remove the back cover , tons of what looks to be dust, smoke residue..... dont know if this issue is the same as everyones here . I am totally in awe of this Forum ! Thanks to all whos pioneered this! Freakaftr8, Budwich, tjmethod! ive read the entire thread. I still feel my situation sounds a little different than some on here . please forgive if this is not the right thread. Not a reseller or a hack trying to make a buck..just would like my tv to work again. thanks guys!!!! ill upload pics.. please remember the picture on the tv is flickering the whole time .
                      Attached Files

Comment

No, that is LED backlighting failure. Your panel is fine. This set incorporates edge lit technology. Your bottom strip is shot.
                        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

freakaft8, is there any hope? im good with electronics, soldering skills are on a solid 7. but i care!
                          Last edited by DaBeatCreata; 01-17-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

There is hope however The process involved with getting to the backlight system is removing the LCD panel completely from the television. On a 70 inch this is a very involved process. There is an LCD panel and 3 layers of diffusers and a back polarizer. All this needs to come out as there are probably 3 dozen screws are more holding the panel in. Look on the forums and find out how other people remove LCD panels and you will get the grasp of how it goes. On that particular led strip I would not advise trying to repair that strip as it probably has significant issues and removing one LED can cause problems. You would be better trying to find the led strip somewhere like eBay and replace it altogether.

Comment

thank you Freakaftr8! this forum is the best! thanks all!

Comment

I saved my Black Friday 2013 e70i-a3 TV and just now dove in to attempt the freakaftr8 fix. Sure enough, it's now working! Tested the right side (detached the 3/4" ribbon cable) first with no change--only backlighting. Then tested the left side and saw the Vizio "V" but distorted. Clicked the menu button and saw the menu but again distorted colors. Thought that was promising so removed the left side tabs with the boards and fired up the TV. Full image looking good! So, I assume the TCON board is fine. And I am counting every hour this TV still works as bonus time. Makes sense to me that the right side LCD drivers will be over performing so perhaps more apt to fail sooner.

Tons of thanks to freakaftr8 and the many others who contributed. I am not an electronics guy but you all made it understandable.

Comment

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers here.

-I have the e70i-a3
                                  -One day the picture died and but the audio was still pumping
                                  -saw this thread and seemed to have same symptoms
                                  -Ordered new t-con board from shopjimmy
                                  -installed new t-con board, removed lower right ribbon cable, plugged TV back in
                                  -no change in symptoms, screen is black, no 'v' upon fire up, but backlight is on
                                  -checked connections, reinstalled right side ribbon cable, removed left side ribbon cable, tried again and once again there was no change in symptoms.

Any advice?

Much appreciated!

Comment

If you don't have any voltages on the board besides 12 v off of the coils if you look through my post and find out how to measure voltages on this board, There's a good possibility that you shorted the board out again Because you disconnected the good side 1st.

Check the COXA transistor to see if it's shorted again.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                      If you don't have any voltages on the board besides 12 v off of the coils if you look through my post and find out how to measure voltages on this board, There's a good possibility that you shorted the board out again Because you disconnected the good side 1st.

Check the COXA transistor to see if it's shorted again.
                                      So I checked the 100 3r3 and 4r7 posts as you recommend:

100: 12v
                                      3r3: 0v
                                      4r7: 0v

Did I fry the new tcon board already?

Comment

Yes most likely unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                          Yes most likely unfortunately
                                          Ah nuts. Is there info in this thread about the transistors you need to buy to repair a board?

Don't want to keep throwing new boards at it. This one was $70.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X