The T&P power supply thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The T&P power supply thread

I got 6 power supplies branded "T&P-something".

I am not sure about the OEM, I am not even sure they are made from the same OEM. I could use some help on that.

Anyway, I am going to post them from oldest to latest:

T&P-MEIJI-350 ATX

Year of production: 2003

-Incomplete input filter. Ceramic caps instead of Y caps

-330uF 200V main capacitors, but the real capacitance is 220uF

-ERL 33 transformer and 13007 transistors

-output pi coils absent, tiny output toroid coils

-undersized output rectifiers

I forgot to say that the power supply is working but it will be used for parts
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-05-2018, 01:05 PM. Reason: Added info about working state of power supply

Re: The T&P power supply thread

T&P-MEIJI-400 ATX

Year of production: 2005

-Νο AC harmonics filter!

-470uF 200V BH main capacitors, but the real capacitance is 330uF

-output pi coils replaced with jumpers, tiny output toroid coils

-Good sized heatsinks. I don't like "T" style heatsink but these are quite good for 250-300W!

Τhe power supply is working but it will be used for parts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-05-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

T&P-SHD P4-350W

Year of production: 2007

This thing is terrible!

-330uF 200V main capacitors, but the real capacitance is 220uF

-No space on PCB for pi coils, 1 x 1000uF cap per output!

-Super group regulated outputs with one toroid coil responsible for 3.3V, 5V and 12V!

Τhis power supply is working but it will be used for parts.
      Attached Files

Comment

T&P-KIM 420ATX

Year of production: 2008

-330uF 200V main capacitors, but the real capacitance is 210uF

-pi coils replaced with jumpers, 2 capacitors per output.

-toroid coils are good for 250-300W

-PCB discoloration due to heat. This unit has a thermistor in series with the fan.

-Uknown "KYS" caps everywhere

Τhis power supply is dead and it will be used for parts.
        Attached Files

Comment

T&P-DHK 420ATX

Year of production: 2009

-Νο AC filter!

-470uF 200V KDC main capacitors, but the real capacitance is 220uF

-All the other caps are "BH"

-16A output rectifier for 3.3V, 5V and 12V

-pi coils replaced with jumpers

-toroid coils are good for 250W

-I like the heatsink design

5vsb measured at 9.5V!! Probably the critical capacitor is bad. I don't think it is worth repairing. I'd rather use it for parts
          Attached Files

Comment

This last one looks like the 35 size transformer might actually be that, and not 25 like the others
            I'm curious about the bulk filtering caps though, they have the size to be 470uF 200v.
            Maybe it's just empty shells with small caps inside, or have they just dried out?
            As for the 5VSB it could be a fun exercise to replace the small blue BH caps on the primary side to see if it comes up good
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

T&P-SHD P4-550W

Year of production: 2008

This looks a bit better than the others. The case is thicker and good looking. Let's take a look inside.

-Incomplete input filter again! Ceramic caps instead of Y caps.

-2x 680uF 200V MKX main capacitors, but the real capacitance is 430uF.

-All the other caps are "Asia'x", 2 of them are bulging.

-The main tranformer is ERL 33 size, but the feedback transformer and the 5vsb transformer are of bigger size, 19.

-2x 2SC2625 main transistors

-30A schottky rectifier for 3.3V and 5V, but for 12V rail, a MUR1620ct is installed. There is space on PCB for a second rectifier, I could replace the MUR1620CT with 2 x 16A schottky rectifiers.

-All pi coils are in place.

-toroid coils are good for 300W.

-Nice heatsink design! Combined with the 140mm fan, I think this thing could do 300W if it had a bigger size main trafo.

5vsb jumps at 7.7V, then slowly falls to 5.05V as the psu gets warm! I tried the hairdrier trick and it helped a little. When shorting Green to Ground, the psu starts for a second, then stops. What do you think? Is it worth repairing?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-05-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                T&P-MEIJI-350 ATX
                -ERL 33 transformer...
                Really? I guess the top part could be 33 mm wide, but the whole transformer looks to short to me (at least from the pictures). So somehow I doubt it would be able to deliver as much power as a 33 transformer. Given how small it looks and how little turns it appears to have, I'd say 150 Watts MAXIMUM.

-output pi coils absent
                That's surprising!
                Nah, just joking.
                At least the PCB has space for them though, along with space for more output caps. I suppose if one really wanted to take the time to learn rebuilding PSUs, this could be a somewhat acceptable candidate, given the secondary side. Also the soldering looks quite alright.

Not much else going for this unit, though. And not really worth repairing, like you mentioned. But hey, at least the heatsinks appears decent enough - definitely good to have those in your spare parts box.

T&P-MEIJI-400 ATX
                Looks exactly like the PSU above it, but just with "T" -style heatsinks.

I'm not a fan of those T heatsinks either, even though you are right, and these do look quite decent. For some reason, T heatsinks make me think of those ultra-cheap & horrible Leadman / Sun Pro units... or Logysis.
                Actually, I don't know why I put an LOL smiley above there. I get shivers when I see one of those units powering a PC.

T&P-SHD P4-350W
                Τhis power supply is working but it will be used for parts.
                GOOD!
                With only one cap per rail, I don't see that power supply being good to power anything. And now look at those T-style heatsinks compared to the ones in the T&P-MEIJI-400 ATX - this is exactly what I mean about those heatsinks giving me the shivers. Such crap!

T&P-KIM 420ATX
                -PCB discoloration due to heat. This unit has a thermistor in series with the fan.
                Τhis power supply is dead and it will be used for parts.
                Hmmm. I wonder if the fan was running too slow due to the series thermistor.
                Seriously, though, why do they do that? (Thermistor in series with the fan?) It's absolutely dumb. Even more dumb than plugging the fan straight to the PSU outputs.

Anyways, it's a POS, so why am I even questioning the crap decisions of the manufacturer.

Lol, with so many PSUs saved for parts, at least now you will have enough 13007 transistors for a lifetime.

T&P-DHK 420ATX
                -I like the heatsink design
                5vsb measured at 9.5V!! Probably the critical capacitor is bad. I don't think it is worth repairing. I'd rather use it for parts
                Yeah, this unit has the best heatsinks of the whole T&P bunch, looks like.

On that note, if I had these units, I probably would have repaired one of these with the spare parts from the others, just to see how well it holds up under load (out of curiosity, of course). That said, if I was to do that, it would be either this unit or the first T&P you posted. Both appear to be okay candidates. Maybe the second one too.

But this one has the 5VSB over-voltage , so that'd be the one I go after, just for fun. I bet you it's either that critical cap on the primary side or the output caps on the 5VSB. Then again, lets be honest: BH caps are no good.
                Last edited by momaka; 02-26-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  This last one looks like the 35 size transformer might actually be that, and not 25 like the others
                  Nah.
                  I'd say this one is more like a proper 33 (though still a tiny bit short). The other's were 28's at best, or equivalent anyways. The side is determined by the top-side width, with "35" being 35 mm wide, "33" being 33 mm wide, and 28 being 28 mm wide. But that's misleading, because the length/height matters too, IMO. No way you can fit a good amount of primary and secondary turns in a short transformer. If you did, that tape on top of the windings better look fat and bulgy from all the windings underneath.

T&P-SHD P4-550W
                  -Nice heatsink design! Combined with the 140mm fan, I think this thing could do 300W if it had a bigger size main trafo.
                  5vsb jumps at 7.7V, then slowly falls to 5.05V as the psu gets warm! I tried the hairdrier trick and it helped a little. When shorting Green to Ground, the psu starts for a second, then stops. What do you think? Is it worth repairing?
                  Yeah, I'd give it a try at repairing. Looks like they (the manufacturer) actually bothered to make a semi-decent PSU with this unit.

With that 5VSB, the unit clearly needs to be recapped, and probably all of the caps need to go, given the terrible cap choices.

-30A schottky rectifier for 3.3V and 5V, but for 12V rail, a MUR1620ct is installed. There is space on PCB for a second rectifier, I could replace the MUR1620CT with 2 x 16A schottky rectifiers.
                  Only if they are rated for 60V or more, or ideally 100V, to be on the safe-side. H-bridge PSU's have 2x the peak voltage of an STF/DTF PSU design. So you can be seeing peaks up to and in excess of 50V between the two 12V transformer taps.

Anyways, thanks for posting these! I enjoyed the reading and pictures.

Comment

You are welcome. I wish there was more (parts) to see in them

Comment

Working...
                    X