Getting Windows to boot after changing SATA from RAID to AHCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Windows to boot after changing SATA from RAID to AHCI

Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get Windows 10 to boot up and install drivers after changing the bios settings for the sata port from raid to ahci.

My motherboard is an Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 and when I built the PC I set all of the sata ports to raid mode. There is one setting for ports 1-4 and one setting for port 5 and the esata port. I currently have 4 drives set up in two raid 1 arrays on ports 1-4. My ssd containing Windows 10 is plugged into port 5. I also have an external esata enclosure with a 2tb drive that I use as a Windows backup plugged into the esata.

I am having nothing but problems getting the enclosure to detect and connect in Windows and have read that some of these problems may be solved by setting the esata port to AHCI mode. However in doing this, it also sets the sata port for my ssd to ahci mode which would be fine if Windows 10 didn't just refuse to boot and bluescreen until I set it back to raid.

I know the problems I'm having with the enclosure aren't due to the enclosure itself or the drive because it works normally while running a linux boot disk.

If anyone has any tricks to migrating windows to an ahci port or some sort of repair boot disk to use to get Windows booted again that would be a great help.

Thanks
    canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Re: Getting Windows to boot after changing SATA from RAID to AHCI

If it's like windows 7 (and older) there's a registry setting that has to be flipped via the recovery console (windows install media) to make the switch between Legacy/AHCI/RAID. I can't remember it off the top of my head but that's what I had to to do when swapping a legacy install to AHCI (and IIRC going to and from RAID required the same thing).

Did you try googling this? :p
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Google has many links showing how to do this, here is one in case you you can't find them.

http://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/...id-ide-to-ahci

Comment

Yes I did try googling it. I found the guides saying to try safe mode and tweak the registry but none worked.

Safe mode doesn't boot it still just gives the inaccessible boot device error and when I went to change the registry keys they were already set to what the guide said to set them to...

Ive also read that Windows 10 is quite specifically not "like windows 7 (and older)" due to Microsoft revamping the sata drivers between 7 and 8 therefore making 10 different as well.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks that they thought might work but if there's nothing that can be done then there's nothing that can be done.
        canadaboy25

Comment

^ have you tried manually adding the drivers into the driverstore?
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
            ^ have you tried manually adding the drivers into the driverstore?
            Not sure what the specific driver would be as Asus's support page for the motherboard is lacking pretty much anything useful. The only sata driver they have is for the asmedia chipset which is completely in independent to the onboard raid/sata chipset. Also, I wouldn't want to replace the raid driver with a non-raid driver and cause my existing 2 arrays to stop working as well...
            canadaboy25

Comment

Simple---get rid of winblows...https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/

Comment

Originally posted by showmelee View Post
                Simple---get rid of winblows...https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/
                I don't understand why people feel the need to post such useless comments...

Say you were on your way to Vegas and the alternator in your car stopped working. Would you A: find the nearest shop and get the alternator replaced and go on with your trip? Or B: Get out of your car, call it a piece of shit, light it on fire, find a bicycle and cycle the rest of the way to Vegas?

Get back to me when Linux can run Altium Designer, Solidworks, SolidCam, AutoCad, Photoshop, Word, and any other useful software. Or also let me know when it can properly interface with devices such as the serial communication link between my boat's motor ECU and computer, the wireless link between my drone and pc, or even connect to my printer without writing new software to do it.

Long story short, I'd rather option A.

Thanks
                canadaboy25

Comment

Can you try this please?
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...HCI#post777290

If that does not work, could you try a fresh install on a spare disk, maybe Win10 simply does not work with AHCI on that board as you said you had problems locating drivers for it?
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                    Can you try this please?
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...HCI#post777290

If that does not work, could you try a fresh install on a spare disk, maybe Win10 simply does not work with AHCI on that board as you said you had problems locating drivers for it?
                    Hmm.. It seems that the problem was something I overlooked in the bios. I discovered by accident that in turning port 5 and esata to ahci, the other controller also gets turned to ahci making my arrays go back to regular disks. The pc then tries to boot from disk one and fails because it is a raid data disk.

The only settings I have for port 5 and esata when 1-4 are still in raid mode is raid and ide. So the problem was that when I was changing port 5 to ahci, the bios was also changing another setting on a different screen... nice.

So it looks like I won't be able to have 1-4 on raid and 5-esata on ahci.

Oh well thanks for all the advice anyways.
                    canadaboy25

Comment

Is your 2TB external drive a traditional standard 512 byte/sector drive or is it 4096 byte/sector?

Comment

Working...
                      X