Stinky Emacs AX2-5300FB-2S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky Emacs AX2-5300FB-2S

At work my office shares an air supply with a computer machine room. For the last couple of weeks there has been a sort of ozone, hot component, vaguely smokey smell in the air. Today I figured since whatever it was had not yet gone up in flames I should probably find it, preemptively. It was a pain finding it because there is so much air circulating in the machine room that it is hard to pin down a smell. After sniffing everything in the room the odor was narrowed down to 3 rack mounted computers (of course, the top three), and took each one apart and sniffed inside. The smell seemed to come from an Emacs AX2-5300FB-2S, so I swapped it out. And the exhaust odor from that machine decreased. Ran cpuburn and heavy disk activity for a while and it didn't stink up again.

I have not opened up this PS, but I think this is the culprit. It wasn't hot and its fan was running at a reasonable speed. No external signs of distress. Doesn't look too dirty inside when viewed through the vents.

Any bets on what is wrong in there?

It came out of a very old computer, and it is the first PS in this set to fail in any way (other than the fans, which doesn't count.)

Re: Stinky Emacs AX2-5300FB-2S

pics?

Comment

Re: Stinky Emacs AX2-5300FB-2S

Would like to see an update
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
      X