Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruddy caps on HP Pavilion 533w (Echo-GL, IMPERIAL_GL_VE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruddy caps on HP Pavilion 533w (Echo-GL, IMPERIAL_GL_VE)

Worst pics I've seen here yet.
    Attached Files

Re: Cruddy caps on HP Pavilion 533w (Echo-GL, IMPERIAL_GL_VE)

This computer belongs to friends who are paying me to fix it. It shuts off after 10 - 30 seconds. Obviously bad caps. In fact, they are worse than any other pictures I've seen on badcaps.com.

Question: can I replace just the board and re-activate WinXP? What boards will be compatible? I know it's probably too hard a question and so they will end up having to buy a new PC .

This PC had a lot of dust: but a bit less than "dont let your pc get like this!"

The machine is out of warranty, so HP has offered nothing for my trouble. (I already bought a power supply before I noticed the caps.) What's this about a class action?

The rest of this post is about HP part number confusion.

As for HP part numbers, as mentioned in this thread, the same HP model can have different motherboards. In fact if you go to buy the part on the HP website, you get a screen like this:
    DA203-69002 $154.00
    Motherboard (system board) - Echo, GLA - For systems with K, L, T, or R as the 3rd digit in the serial number (Tatung)
    REQUIRES RETURN OF DEFECTIVE PART

5187-2121 $172.00 New part for DA203-69002
    But then if you click "CLICK HERE to select your model" (even though you already have given it the model number), then you get these additional parts, which are the right ones, according to the HP tech I chatted with:
    DF215-69002 $139.00
    Motherboard (system board) - Echo-GL
    REQUIRES RETURN OF DEFECTIVE PART

5187-4631 $155.00 New part for DF215-69002
    As you can see in the picture above, the board says this:
    Mat NO. 132872 IMPERIAL_GL_VE 20020629
    Those last digits seem to be a date that is not important to match when you are doing a replacement, perhaps.

Futhermore... the HP web site offers this "Product Information" for the Pavilion 533w (also known as 500, also known as P9859A):
    Motherboard Specifications, P4G533 (Echo)
    Motherboard Specifications, TriGem 2002052 (Glendale)
    The second one is the one I'm working on.

Hope this post comes in handy for anyone else with a HP.
    Last edited by kitchin; 10-22-2005, 08:46 AM.

Comment

whoa.... worst caps I've ever seen also. Those HPs are crap, the same board was used in crap eMachines. What brand are the caps?
      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Brand: the board's still in the machine, but I'll drop a mirror in and look at them later.

Comment

look like TMS
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

We used to buy HP Pavilion machines, but when I heard that HP was going to have at least some of their PCs developed by the Compaq folks - infamous quality and support - we bought Sony Vaio instead. That was '01 or '02, and that pic which seems to show a June, 2002 date code seems to confirm the wisdom of not buying HP.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I work with an ex HP employee, HP doesn't even use HP computers...kind of tells you something...

A lot of the newer eMachines use SOTST from various manufacturers...
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I will get the brand off those caps in the HP Pavilion later today or tomorrow. Wonder if I should look inside the power supply too?

Comment

I would look in the PSU also.

Comment

I'd be curious to know the brand of P/S, too. HP used to use Delta Products and Yokogawa.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Ack, no time to photograph close-ups.

Comment

I work with an ex HP employee, HP doesn't even use HP computers...kind of tells you something
                        what do they use?
                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I got one tip for you kitchin. You can send the board to Topcat for recapping since you're in the United States. You can do that if you don't know how to recap. But, you have to pay the price that Topcat wants you to pay. And, that looks like the baddest buldging and "electrolyte coming out to the busted vent" that came out of a few caps on that HP's motherboard. Also, HP also uses Bestec power supplies.
                          Last edited by Newbie2; 10-26-2005, 04:11 AM.
                          My gaming PC:
                          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                            I work with an ex HP employee, HP doesn't even use HP computers...kind of tells you something...

A lot of the newer eMachines use SOTST from various manufacturers...
                            Hey MD Willington, what systems do they use?
                            My gaming PC:
                            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

@Pete: Several HP Brio PCs that I am responsible for haveLiteOn PSUs.

Comment

I forgot about Bestec - one of our Pavilions had one - they're OK AFAIK. Lite On makes good stuff, including their own rectifiers. You might find their products in Surfboard (C) cable modems and GI/Mot digital cable set-top boxes.
                                PeteS in CA

Comment

$154! That's a rip off! I can get a socket 939 motherboard for that!
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Oh, hey...

I've obtained a dead eMachines board similar to this one, a Trigem Imperial_GV dated 2003-08-12. Socket 478, 533 MHz bus...

Well, it has no less than 10 Rubycon MBZs and 3 Chemi-Con (forget which...go me) KZGs around the VRM. There are 4 Taicon HIs, and the rest of the board is, surprise, Daewoo. Well, the company that bought them out with the _A_ logo. Looks like a jellybean with legs. All the caps appear good but the board won't post. Not like I'm too concerned, the board has no AGP and I have another Intel 478.

I'll get some pictures if you want. My camera isn't very good.
                                    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

the bestec psu has a nasty habit of a 10@50 lytic in +5 stby going open.
                                      +5stby often exceeds 12v and kills the mobo.and the replacement you install.and any other board you hook this psu to.(where is that poof smiley when you need it)

Originally posted by Shroomie
                                      Oh, hey...

I've obtained a dead eMachines board similar to this one, a Trigem Imperial_GV dated 2003-08-12. Socket 478, 533 MHz bus...

Well, it has no less than 10 Rubycon MBZs and 3 Chemi-Con (forget which...go me) KZGs around the VRM. There are 4 Taicon HIs, and the rest of the board is, surprise, Daewoo. Well, the company that bought them out with the _A_ logo. Looks like a jellybean with legs. All the caps appear good but the board won't post. Not like I'm too concerned, the board has no AGP and I have another Intel 478.

I'll get some pictures if you want. My camera isn't very good.

Comment

Working...
                                      X