Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo yoga c930 NM-B741 Doesn't boot or charge USB type-C controller issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lenovo yoga c930 NM-B741 Doesn't boot or charge USB type-C controller issue.

Hi. No that will not work. The power delivery controller is a Cortex M0+ cpu which is an ARM design.

The details of the programming interface are well documented but are JTAG / SWD interface based.

A suggestion is to consider a low cost Cypress kit from which you can detach the front side of the pcb to retain the usb to swd bridge for this exercise.

For example, CY8CKIT-059 could work.

You can confirm the above details in the Cypress user forum for the noted controller chip but fairly confident you can program with this method.

A key concern remains on whether the firmware is protected or not inside this CPU. If the firmware is protected from read outs, then the tool and process will not work.

So summary is to buy this low cost kit, load their free tools, use the kit to understand the programming of the target cpu. After this, break off the programmer portion of the pcb. They build this slim ruler type kit for this purpose. Then wire onto your true target Cypress cpu and repeat.

Review the schematic of the kit and this target power delivery controller for the programming interface.

Comment

Re: Lenovo yoga c930 NM-B741 Doesn't boot or charge USB type-C controller issue.

Hello everyone, i just came across this post and forum after diagnosing my own yoga 920 13 ikb and see that i have the exact (almost) same problem as tranaripardis and quickly registered to post.

The CYPD4226 ic im dealing with also has VCCD shorted to ground and additionally pins 7, 8 and 9 are also shorted, the capacitors for 7 and 9 are shorted too. It all happened with a small liquid spill on the thunderbolt charging connector

Anyways I figured the chips no good anymore and was about to order a replacement until I read these posts and I'm wondering if im fortunate in having the yoga 920 model and can order the chip to replace the bad one and have it work? I've read that either CYPD4226 don't come with any firmware or do they have a default firmware?

Comment

https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB...p/119518#M1950

CYPD4226 preprogrammed?

Comment

Careful on the interpretation of the programmed firmware inside this CPU from the factory.

Cypress will ship with a pre-loaded boot loader that communicates over I2C interface (SDA and SCL lines).

This is to allow for uploading or downloading of customer code into this microcontroller.

Maybe the Lenovo will see this bootloader or SWD interface and then apply the customized firmware for the logic board or perhaps not.

For sure, Lenovo uses this bootloader or SWD interface to upload their custom code during pcb assembly time. What is not known is if they lock the firmware so that it cannot be read out or cloned. You will have to ask someone at Lenovo and the tech support has to be a higher level contact. Or simply try it and post your results.

Using the SWD interface, you can quickly confirm if the firmware can be read out of a known good microcontroller. Using the above low cost psoc kit from cypress, you will have a USB to SWD bridge to perform this experiment.

If the contents can be read out, then you can clone it. Maybe with some luck, Lenovo has a tool to do the same but with the alternate I2C bootloader method.
          Last edited by mon2; 04-24-2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Is the programming kit easy to use? I just started learning how to read motherboard schematics 3 days ago but I will buy and try if it helps in the long run since I do intend to start board repair

Comment

Also whats the difference between CYPD4226-40LQXI and CYPD4226-40LQXIT ?

My board uses CYPD4226-40LQXIT is it compatible with CYPD4226-40LQXI

Comment

Study the kitprog portion of the above kit.

Note the pads on the right side of the kit just before the separation to the right part of the same kit.

First, use the kit as-is to understand how to use the tools. Then break the kit to separate the 2 boards. Next wire the connections to the target microcontroller.

Attached are some documents.

The "T" suffix denotes that the component will be supplied in a full tape & reel format for automated assembly using SMT equipment. Otherwise, the part will be supplied on cut tape.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok I understand, i can finally put this lenovo motherboard that ive been starring at for days away until the orders come in.

Thanks, youre very helpful

Comment

the cypd4226 FW for yoga 920 is available on Lenovo website as exe file :

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...20-13ikb-glass

1-cypd4226_920_version.exe
                    2-cypd4226v55.exe

If your laptop is still turning on with a battery, try to run those files but first you have to solder the new chip first. Maybe it will work.

If the battery is empty, you can charge it or buy a new one.

I did some research about the blinking problem. it is a low power indicator. Not sure why my laptop is showing low power even with a fully charged battery.

Comment

@TranaRiparDis, excellent find !!

The Cypress devkit should not be required with this solution.

Just try a fresh part as you have noted. The host CPU will probably use the I2C bootloader for this new firmware.

Comment

I bought the laptop with no signs of life, the battery was undervoltage at less than 3 volts each cell so I removed the plastic on the battery and charged them like tranaripardis with an external li ion charger but there was no difference.

Just right now I compared the yoga 920 battery with a lenovo flex 5 1570 battery I have here and the connector is the exact same however the voltage specs for the yoga battery is 7.68v and the flex is 11.4v.

The yoga battery connector is on the left, same pin out by the colors but not voltage

Would it be wise to try and connect the flex battery to the yoga or am i asking for trouble? Flex battery model is L15L3PB0 yoga battery is L16M4P60

Comment

No, do not use the higher voltage (FLEX) battery on the yoga model. There is a reason why the yoga battery is a lower voltage. Unless someone can confirm that the higher voltage will not cause damage, do not proceed to test this alternate battery.

Source the proper battery for your yoga.

Comment

hello, I have updates: the replacement Cypd4226 and the Cypress Development kit arrived.

The progress on my board is all shorts are gone now. I unsoldered a bad usb c port, it was causing some shorting, i had no idea these could go bad, do these ports have circuitry? pins A5 and A4 are shorted to ground on the port itself.

I've soldered in the new Cypd4226 and the laptop will not power on or detect charger still, nothing changed, it does appear to need firmware.

I wasnt interested in throwing more money at this thing so I awoke the battery using this tutorial if any of you are interested xyeHKKe2z0Q google it and the laptop fired up with battery power.

I will attempt to flash the firmware like mon2 and trana suggested soon.

Comment

Hello I need help wiring this cypress programmer to the cypd4226 ic, I've tried connecting the 5 pads on the right of the programmer to the ic but the psoc programmer that came with the programmer wont load from device.

I'm sure i connected everything right but not sure

Comment

Hi. From the last review, it should be possible to just solder back the fresh controller and use the Lenovo application to upgrade the firmware. Can you try that idea first? The suggestion is that Lenovo will use the Cypress supplied bootloader to inject the latest firmware. Post your results.

Comment

Unfortunately I think the software wants the usb c charger to be plugged in which i tried but its not detected. I also tried updating and adding .net framework but I always get this error after clicking next

EDIT Actually I'm giving up on this one thanks alot mon2
                                  Last edited by theperfectbreakfast; 05-12-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Please be sure the missing .dll file is placed inside the same folder as the firmware tool.

When the firmware tool runs, it will hunt for this .dll file which is a fancy name for external sub-routines of code needed for this puzzle to continue.

Comment

The dll is included in the exe .It can be extracted with innoextract https://constexpr.org/innoextract/ . Maybe if the .dll was registered it would work.

regsvr32 <path>\<filename>.dll

Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-12-2021, 12:05 PM.
                                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

So, anybody found out solution? or only one way to buy that programmer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lukosiukas View Post
                                          So, anybody found out solution? or only one way to buy that programmer ?
                                          UPDATE :

flashing yoga c920 controller firmware does not brick computer, charger communicates with controller, goes to 20Volts. Does not charge battery, no charger found. Found out that U38/u227 does not have any voltage on pin 9 which comes from of course controller(u38).
                                          For those who needs computer to power on, feel free to use LAB POWER BENCH, and input 7.6-7.8 volts to the fuse (pf5, pf4), able to charge battery.

update later :

i have j7-c usb tester, when i plug the tester alone into typec , compter shows as charging. When i plug Dc cable into tester and then to the compter it shows no charger detected, but tester shows 20volts. ?????????
                                          Last edited by Lukosiukas; 06-23-2021, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X