how to get rid of wifi mooches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get rid of wifi mooches

problem: I just found some b*stard with a pc called prettygirl is mooching wifi.

I want to somehow block them from my network.

the obvious answer is wifi password, but here is the bug:

a have one computer with a wireless b card and another that might get one. the second is a 1st gen emac, so the only option is b, killing off any WPA.

i heard WEP is hacker bait... mooches are better than hackers...

are there any other choices?

the person is a noob... there workgroup is set to MSHOME... I only found it by trying to find my latest built (it happens to have the wireless b card) and noticed the wrong work group... BUSTED.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: how to get rid of wifi mooches

MAC Address filters are handy for this (if the router supports it).

i've only got WEP encryption on my wifi, but the MAC filter is also active, so wifi effectively only works for the MAC addresses i've specified in the router config

Comment

MAC address filtering keeps out all but the most determined intruders.
      Some B-only clients can support WPA with a firmware and/or a driver and utility update.
      I still wonder why the DS does not support WPA: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10188
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Change and then stop advertising the SSID. There's usually an option to turn that off in the Router/AP.

Comment

You can stop advertising the SSID, but it is buried in the packets you send and receive...

Anyone that really wants to get in can spoof their MAC address, so that is not a real protection.

Given the noobieness of Prettygirl, I'd turn on WEP and see what happened. If you don't have any encryption not, what will it hurt? Unless you are in an area with a lot of networks, who will be looking at your WEP packets?
          I am just reporting what I read on an old Microsoft web page written by one of their programmers.
          tom
          Last edited by tmwalsh; 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmwalsh View Post
            Anyone that really wants to get in can spoof their MAC address, so that is not a real protection.
            the attacker would have to find out a MAC address that's allowed by the router though..
            works pretty well to keep most of the nosey ppl out..

Comment

WEP is "reasonable" security. Yes it can be hacked, but realistically, what are the chances of any of your neighbors being tech-savy enough to do it.

For your purposes, do MAC address filtering and WEP, and you're "good enough" just monitor it and if you notice a problem, then change.
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

secure it,shut off ssid,and set up a junk pc with fakeap with your original ssid.drive em nuts trying to connect.
                they might even think their stuff is broken.

Comment

capture some packets from that client and have a look what's inside.
                  it shouldn't take you too long to find out who they are.
                  "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

From 2005, but still relevant: The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN

Comment

is there a way to specifically ban MAC addresses?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        is there a way to specifically ban MAC addresses?
                        Unless youre using a linux box or similar as AP i dont think so. The normal way most routers work is you put in the allowed mac adresses. Can be a bit of a hastle when you have friends over that wants to use your network.

Comment

Originally posted by digge View Post
                          Unless youre using a linux box or similar as AP i dont think so. The normal way most routers work is you put in the allowed mac adresses. Can be a bit of a hastle when you have friends over that wants to use your network.
                          Yeah my network is doubly bad. Whenever a friend or relative comes by with a new device, I have to add the MAC to the wireless access point, and add the MAC to my DHCP server (seperate box) . That keeps my network pretty secure, and Arpwatch and Snort tell me if anything new shows up.
                          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

i changed the ssid slightly and turned off broadcast. bye-bye mooch!
                            sigpic

Comment

Linux can bust through WEP in a couple of minutes. Windows is still a no show. If prettygirl doesn't run Linux then WEP is more secure than Fort Knox. If she does run Linux then you'd better get to know her.
                              sig files are for morons

Comment

it was an mshome workgroup... still, wep sounds like fail... here is my logic:

say there are two houses. one has no deadbolt (you can kick in the door) and the other has a fancy lock and deadbolt setup that you know is a defective model that can be hacked in 30sec.

a robber will often hit the second house. why? the second house likely has nicer goods since the owner decided it was worth a lock; something was worth securing.

in this case, a security-less network (hidden) will outdo wep. hackers will hit the wep networks first since the owner felt inclined to try to secure it and therefore there is likely some files worth exploiting (financial stuff, passwords, etc.). the one without likely has nothing.
                                sigpic

Comment

as for hackers, that could be true. if someone just wants free wifi though, he/she'll probably go the easiest route.
                                  "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

well then i should be good... the mooches won't see my network.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      i changed the ssid slightly and turned off broadcast. bye-bye mooch!
                                      How's that going to help? She'll just connect to the new ssid.

Comment

It's hidden. Although some would say that hiding an SSID is just putting a sign on it that says "please ignore me", and since the SSID is broadcast in other ways, it's not very effective and makes things more difficult for legitimate users.

Call me skeptical, but I'd also guess that "prettygirl" is neither.

Comment

Working...
                                        X