Vizio P55 C1 Boot loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio P55 C1 Boot loop

Hey guys, I'm new here but I'm hoping someone can help me with my tv.
    Model: Vizio P55-C1

My issue is the tv turns on, I see the Vizio symbol but after that, the screen seems to go greyish black than after about 10-15 seconds the tv reboots. I have unhooked my receiver from the tv. I've tried unplugging and holding the power button for a few seconds. Sometimes if I'm lucky the tv will work and it seems to work well until it is turned off again. I'm not aware if the tv did a firmware update or anything, to my knowledge no. I did read another thread about a different model number. He got a black box sent to him so he could do a firmware update. Not sure if anyone has input but id greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Vizio P55 C1 Boot loop

First thought is mainboard issue, do you have a multimeter for testing power supply voltages?

Comment

I do yes.

Comment

Test all pins on connector from mainboard to powerbard on powerboard side, all boards connected. Test in standby/plugged in but off, then apply power report both conditions, example: pin 1 bl-on=0 volts standby and 3.3 powered on, report results for every pin. How to video in my signature below.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
          Test all pins on connector from mainboard to powerbard on powerboard side, all boards connected. Test in standby/plugged in but off, then apply power report both conditions, example: pin 1 bl-on=0 volts standby and 3.3 powered on, report results for every pin. How to video in my signature below.
          Thanks for the help, I guess I jumped the gun here and apparently this tv came with extra warranty when I bought it from Costco. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them what they want to do with it as I live out of town and the contract says as long as the tv is over 40 inches they have to send a repairman. If the repairman can't fix it apparently they just cut me a cheque. If this is the case I'll definitely open it up and maybe be able to fix it if he cannot.

Comment

Ok, so they wrote me back and the tv is not worth the time apparently. I'm willing to test connections to see if it's fixable. The pins you speak of are super small, hopefully, I will be able to test these connections. The only thing that wont work is having the tv off or on. It seems like the tv powers on and off and I can't seem to stop it. I'll provide some pictures if that helps things.

https://imgur.com/a/P94hhOk

Comment

so they are refunding your money and leaving the set with you?
              simple first test would be to disconnect, one at a time, the cable going from the tcon to the panel (while not powered) and then see if this changes how the tv responds, what happens with the display and go from there.

Comment

Yep, not sure why but it works out well for me. I think I figured it out! When I disconnect this (see picture) the display turns on (I've tested this about 10x) Does anyone know what this is?

https://imgur.com/a/hgkacpy

Comment

So that one plugs into main display board. I'm going to plug something into this and see if the tv plays Netflix or something. At least it looks not very expensive?
                  Last edited by evox45; 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Ok, so everything seems to be working. The picture seems a bit choppy, and it doesn't seem to be telling me the definition that it's displaying in. Also randomly the tv will restart but doesn't seem to be a timeframe just seems random. Also after the tv is turned off then on it seems like it loses its programming and needs to be set up again.

Comment

So some research says that this is the wifi module for the tv. Not sure as to why this is causing the tv to get stuck in a boot loop when it is turned on.

Comment

I think there is "logic" behind that... as a number of "help posts" in various threads first ask the OP to try disconnecting the wifi module to see what happens. I would think that like most things computer that if the operating system gets "hung" trying to communicate to components / networks during its setup / startup, the system may / does become "sick". Other may be able to direct you more but perhaps the module has an issue itself. If the tv starts without it, are you able to get into menus and see what is happening with some of those... in particular those dealing with networking?

can you post a picture of the display that shows the "choppy...".
                        Last edited by budwich; 02-11-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

To be honest it may have been Netflix slowing down. I'll see if I can find some local content to play. Do you think that plugging in the wifi module to the board after the tv has started would be an issue?

Comment

So I just did a factory reset and after that, the tv took a firmware update via ethernet cable. After the update, I plugged the wifi board back into the main board and the tv is working again. I'm guessing a bad firmware update in the past caused some sort of issue between the wifi board and the main board. I'm hoping this helps others in my situation although I won't write this off as fixed until I use it a bit more. Thanks to budwich and nomoresonys for help. Much appreciated.

Comment

Nice work, believe I have seen this before, yes I think your analysis is right on.

Comment

So maybe this isn't the place to ask but is there any reliable TVs these days? I like Vizio because bang for the buck you can't beat them but considering this tv got very light use and screwed up I may look for a different brand next time. I have a sony LCD that has worked for close to 15 years now with daily use and no issues but I'm not sure what the track record is now. Any suggestions?

Comment

Last edited by captainKKK; 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I have a sony lcd from 2009 going strong, only ever needed a firmware reapply, samsung seem to be the ones you see here and elsewhere that always need fixing. Also have a sharp lcd from 2007, on all day as monitor, never a problem.
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I might check out what Sony has to offer the next time around. Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                                      X