Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetway class action settlement

http://www.jetwaysettlement.com

Welcome to the Schonning v. Jetway Computer Corp.
    Claims Administration Website
    Description of the Action

The Class Representative in this Action alleges that Jetway Computer Corp. (“Jetway”) marketed and sold various models of its motherboards containing an allegedly defective component, namely, a capacitor which was prone to failure. Jetway has denied and continues to deny these allegations and would assert a number of affirmative defenses.

All persons and business entities in the United States who purchased during the period 1999 through 2004, at wholesale or retail, a Jetway Motherboard as determined by manufacture date codes on the motherboard for their own use and not for resale. To view a detailed Notice of Pendency of Class Action and Proposed Settlement, please click here.
    only for USA, though

Jetway has denied and continues to deny these allegations and would assert a number of affirmative defenses.
    days are so short when you actually do something..

Re: Jetway class action settlement

hmm i guess we will see more then. btw it is the same plaintiff (Eric Schonning) as the abit class action. the thing is that while his attorneys were supposed to get up to $225.000 from the abit settlement, eric schonning was to get up to $1000 only for his time and effort.

considering the usual amount of meetings/communications needed, its a lot of work for $1000. who is this crusader then? he doesnt even seem to want any publicity. anyway good luck to him.

the lawyers want $75.000 this time. thats quite a lot less Eric still gets $1000
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Abit, MSI... maybe they are taking a shot at everyone eventually...
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

considering the usual amount of meetings/communications needed, its a lot of work for $1000. who is this crusader then? he doesnt even seem to want any publicity. anyway good luck to him.
        that's noble. i thought lawyers are all greedy. so, there are abit, msi, and jetway in the line. i hope we'll see ecs and epox being dragged down too, although for now i feel like i can forgive them, hehe...
        Last edited by yanz; 06-09-2006, 06:02 AM.

Comment

i bet if mfr's didnt deny,ignore,and stonewall customers about these defects and just made it right we wouldnt see these class actions.hello supermicro ;-)
          they even had a booth at computerfest showing off their newest boards a few years back.i wasnt the only one who asked them if they still used the crap nrsy caps.
          they claimed the bad caps issue was a myth.me and several customers who brought in boards to be recapped after being denied warranty and told they had to have done something to the board to blow the caps appeared at their booth at peak attendace.we planned this saturday and showed up sunday.the guys running the booth were pissed!
          scared off 100+ customers when they saw the boards and heard how customers were treated over the cap issue.
          own up to the defects and take care of it and no class action/bad press.

Comment

fully agree with you and i support your act!

Comment

That's awesome, kc8adu. I'd like to thank you on behalf of their potential customers!

And this is good news. The best part is that it's not for money, it's primarily to make a point.
              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

ABIT, MSI, then Jetway. Who's next? Soltek?
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

only for USA, though
                  US courts don't have jurisdiction outside of the US, so injured users in other countries need to take the initiative in their countries' courts - a task that may be made easier by the evidence that the US suit may uncover.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
                    ABIT, MSI, then Jetway. Who's next? Soltek?
                    Soltek cut and run... they also sent out new caps, but you had to ask for them first... They "restructured" or some PC nonsense...
                    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Damn, I would LOVE to join in! And not for the money - I don't want any stinking piece of it - but just to have myself heard and show the consumer opinion that simply says - give us quality components we pay for, and not useless junk that die soon, you greedy bastards!

Come to think - is there are any contact? I would love to support them with the pictures of JetWay boards (namely N2PAP Ultra and the old V266B one) with the bad bulging caps as nice example and evidence of the "quality" components they use... Anyone know email at the lawer? Can't find anything on the site where I can send these full resolution photos I still have of the caps...

kc8adu - good work Keep it up, they deserve to know that we know, that if they use crappy parts, we tell others about it
                      Damn suxxkas!
                      "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                      "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        US courts don't have jurisdiction outside of the US, so injured users in other countries need to take the initiative in their countries' courts - a task that may be made easier by the evidence that the US suit may uncover.
                        Yea, the cases in USA would be a good examples for us here to drag those mobo maker to court. The thing is that we have to awake the awarness of PC user (in Indonesia) by bring this story to PC magazines or even public magazines/paper.

That's too much to do and too many people have thinking that pc is expected to not last more than 3-4 years. Hell almost all my PC is 4 years old or more, and they were deadmeet. Fortunately i can recap them, so they all back to life.

We definitely need an interview with Erich Schonning.

Comment

Crusader... well, actually I didn't do anything special per se. You can thank Carey Holtzman for doing pretty much all the groundwork on this. He contacted the lawyers and got things rolling. Between Carey and the lawyers they did all the work; they just needed a class representitive, which I volunteered to do. I myself didn't have to do much at all.

My background is that I like to build systems and would do it for friends, family and myself. When these motherboards started failing so quickly I was puzzled at first, but after about 10 of them within a short amount of time I started seriously looking into it. Once the truth was known, and that the companies were not doing recalls on them, I got a little upset over that and hence my involvement in the class actions.

According to the lawyer there are other class actions he is building against other companies. I am involved in one other as a co-representitive and this will be the last one. If any of you are interested in getting involved in the others send me a private note and I'll put you in contact with him.

Eric

Originally posted by willawake
                          hmm i guess we will see more then. btw it is the same plaintiff (Eric Schonning) as the abit class action. the thing is that while his attorneys were supposed to get up to $225.000 from the abit settlement, eric schonning was to get up to $1000 only for his time and effort.

the lawyers want $75.000 this time. thats quite a lot less Eric still gets $1000

Comment

Well nice work all the same
                            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Wouldn't you know, one of the replacement motherboards I received in the settlement has leaking caps again! Jetway did it again!

Comment

Originally posted by eric2084
                                Wouldn't you know, one of the replacement motherboards I received in the settlement has leaking caps again! Jetway did it again!
                                That's we can expect.... any photos?

There is same settlement from local brand in my side 2 years before. This local brand all are Jetway OEM, they running same same settlement here. Also have leaking caps again.
                                My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

oh hi eric, i must have missed your previous post.
                                  congratulations to you and carey for your efforts.

so how long until the new board failed.
                                  it would be interesting to know what the lawyers think about this.

Comment

I got the board near end of 2006 shortly after the settlement, so a little over a year before they leaked. Only the 1500uf caps leaked, all the others looked OK. I am dreading the inevitable phone calls from friends & family who received the other motherboards I swapped in after I got them.

I contacted the lawyer and it didn't sound like we'd be going after them again so I went ahead and replaced the caps and its working good again.

It is kinda funny that Jetway would send out junk yet again. They have no sense of quality about them. Reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon about the keyboards being sent out without a Q key on them. Jetways idea of quality is "uality", cuz only whiny customers would want a Q key.

Originally posted by Big Pope
                                    That's we can expect.... any photos?

There is same settlement from local brand in my side 2 years before. This local brand all are Jetway OEM, they running same same settlement here. Also have leaking caps again.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

ones near the cpu are sacon FZ
                                      http://www.sacon.com.tw
                                      i wouldnt be surprised also if the ones near the agp and even the K ones are all sacon, cant tell from the pic.

anyway sacon is one of the usual choices for jetway and we have seen them to be genuine crapacitors. business as usual

Comment

Working...
                                      X