'NRSY' bought out by Nippon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'NRSY' bought out by Nippon?

Ok, if you've had a Supermicro board die from bad capacitors, I'm sure you're familiar with the 'NRSY' brand of caps, since Supermicro used them frequently...

Last week I purchased a large lot of 1000uF 10v caps said to be 'Nippon', which is a good quality cap (also makes Sanyo), which I've never seen fail, so I didn't think twice about buying them. When they arrived, they were sealed in Nippon factory packaging, but the actual caps were branded 'NRSY'... As I was about to pick up the phone and yell at someone for selling me phony Nippon caps, I took notice to their design...

The photo below is a comparison of a bad 1000uF 'NRSY' cap pulled from a Supermicro 370DL3 a couple weeks ago, and a 'NRSY' from my recent purchase.

You can see they're both branded NRSY.

This photo is of the canister seals. You will note that the newer NRSY is a true Nippon seal, while the bad one is a cheap knock-off. The vent on the bad one resembles a '+', and the newer one has the 'K' vent synonymous with Nippon/Sanyo capacitors.

Now, these photo's are a comparison to a genuine Sanyo 1000uF 16v capacitor, which is also manufactured by Nippon.

You will note the canister seal is identical.

Ok, the dead giveaway... The notorious Nippon/Sanyo 'K' vent...

I load tested a dozen or so of these new NRSY caps with my Sencore LC102, and they were all reading perfectly, so I'll try a few in some test boards and some other forms of abuse... Since these are clearly Nippon caps, I don't forsee any problems with them.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: 'NRSY' bought out by Nippon?

I think it's a confusion because one brand has a name and logo with the same letters as another brand's series.

- A *BRAND* called NRSY. (Like your green one.)
    - A *SERIES* series of Nippon called NRSY. (Like your black ones.)

I don't think they are related other than having the same letters on the can.

Also the two co-exist,,

The date on your Black -Nippon brand, NRSY series is 0235.
    I have some green -NRSY brand, LHK series here with date code 0302 which is after the date on the black ones. [Yes, on a SuperMicro board.]

... so I don't see a buyout having happened.
    ... They are just different brands.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

The green NRSY is a fake that is misusing a series name (NRSY) as a brand. Not much different from the Robycons and Rulycons out there.

Comment

nrsy is a nic components series.
        mostly made by sanyo.
        i have a ton of nrsz series nic here.
        side by side to sanyo only difference is the sleeve.

Comment

I have a small stock of them as well Ramsey Electronics used to use them extensively in their kits for low value parts (100 uf and under) they now use Xicon.

Here is their Nics site:

http://www.niccomp.com/

I had a hard time making out their logo when I first looked at the caps.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I'm well aware of Nic Components NRSY series.
            There is also an NRSY brand.
            The NRSY in that typeset is a Logo.
            -
            I have here green NRSY with the same type set as the one's in Topcat's pic above.
            About 1/2 have a series number (LHK) on them in addition to the NRSY logo.
            The ones that don't have a series name are a different size cap.
            -
            It is much different than the Rulycon/Rubycon matter.
            Fakers try to LOOK like who they are faking.
            -
            If they were trying to be fake NIC Components they wouldn't have their own series marked right on the side, they wouldn't use a different typeset, and they'd use something closer to NIC's colors for the series.

No series marked doesn't mean that much. Several crap brands (that aren't faking anyone) do that and it's not that unusual for legit Sanyo's to not have the series marked on the can. The Sanyo thing has come up on badcaps.net a number of times.

Now in addition to the legit NIC NRSY series, the legit (but crap) NRSY brand, there may be some fake caps marked NRSY,,, but if they aren't using NIC's typeset and colors they aren't trying to be fake NIC caps, they'd be faking NRSY BRAND caps.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X