Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20mhz scope enough to check receiver channels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20mhz scope enough to check receiver channels?

Hi everyone, I need to get a scope to test home theater receiver channels, but I don't have a lot of room (for a Tektronix).... Are these little hand held deals like an Owon HDS1021M good enough to check receiver amplifier channels? Thanks!

Re: 20mhz scope enough to check receiver channels?

What measurements (distortion, noise etc.) do you want to check on each channel?
    Some oscilloscopes can measure distortion and noise.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

HDS1021M

100MS/s sample rate
      =
      no good
      ---------------------------

Rigol DS1050E

1GS/s Sample rate

=)
      good

Comment

well I want to be able check output transistors and IC's,,, I guess maybe I should make room for a big boy machine

Comment

Well just to close out this thread I ended up getting an old Tektronix 465!
          Now I just need to learn how to use it to check for distortion and noise, etc..
          Thanks to all who helped

Comment

For all the uses I can think of, a 20MHz scope is more than adequate for troubleshooting audio equipment. I used an old HP audio scope for years that maxed out at 100KHz. The scope itself is not going to give you THD or IMD readings - its for signal tracing. The only thing I can add is that (as with any piece of equipment), you first have to know what signal you expect to be at a certain point before you go looking around. Have fun!
            Is it plugged in?

Comment

Working...
            X