Miller 375 Plasma Burt Cap..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miller 375 Plasma Burt Cap..

Got a Miller 375 Plasma Burnt cap. Got for next to nothing craigslist.. No power..

1,500uf 250V (M) Panasonic? What would cause the cap to pop should I wire to a screw terminal style with D rings? Also Ceramic Resistor is Broken...

Anyone have a Service Manual I stripped to the board ish.. 1 tab was broken that holds heat sink.. center bottom.. Nit top unless i break out desoldering gun..

Bottom

Big Simple Mess..
    Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-01-2018, 01:43 AM.
    My Personal Blog

Re: Miller 375 Plasma Burt Cap..

Any One Got the Service Manual??

Taking out visiablly Burt parts..

Cap Is Ok other then Burns on Shrink Wrap. But will replace both with better if there is a recommendation..

Resistor and other parts Cooked.

Cannot tell part # Resistor.. Burnt.. Prob a bad IGBT>>> FFB3u93K ??

Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-01-2018, 04:01 AM.
    My Personal Blog

Comment

Deleted Double Post.. But Searched all known sites including elektrotanya for SM to get part #'s..
      Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-01-2018, 03:29 AM.
      My Personal Blog

Comment

That resistor may still have readable resistance? What does it measure?
        What is that be that semiconductor on the black heatsink near the parts removed... that survived as well?
        That gray item is a capacitor as well?
        Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-01-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Resistor is Open.

Capacitor Reads 1,334uf ESR0.00 V Loss 0.6%

Grey Item Looks Like A Cap but Part Number Gives No Results.

Transistor Cannot Find Data Sheet.
          Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-01-2018, 09:57 AM.
          My Personal Blog

Comment

That melted gray device is a capacitor right? 3.9uF, (high) volts?

You probably can just check most of the IGBTs or whatever switching elements it's using, they usually do meltdown and short. The value of the resistor was probably fairly low but... darn these double sided boards...

Comment

Was A Midnight - 1am CL Deal.. I Will Dig a Bit Deeper Tonight.. Maybe Someone Here Has Experience In Repairing These.. Save It From the Trash Can.

The 472D makes Quick Work Of Removal Of Parts.

Bottom Of The Board

Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM.
              My Personal Blog

Comment

The capacitor is a AVX FFB16J0395K
                Try and clean the melted plastic from the resistor without removing the rest of the number, if you can
                Last edited by R_J; 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Cleaned the Resistor

Only thing legible is

KV

Other Side Totally Blown Out.
                  My Personal Blog

Comment

The resistor brand is KV-OHM could be 100Ω

Comment

Yeah, 100 ohm is very reasonable. That dot there is probably residue from the burn, I think KV-ohm would have used an E or R there if it were a fraction (but for that kind of power resistor, fractional dots make no sense as it would be better than 1%.)

I don't think 1000Ω or 100KΩ is a reasonable value there based on the location and its catastrophic failure, but can't discern the tracks on the board due to things going under components.
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-01-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Miller is generally good for service manuals will call Monday. I do not see any other visibly damaged componants but there prob is something else that failed to cause the resistor to go nuclear..
                        My Personal Blog

Comment

Reading esr on big hv caps is useless with a regular esr meter. You need to test the leakage at the rated voltage on these. I ran into that before a few month back on a Chinese plasma cutter. Finding a SM or schematic for plasma cutters is very hard. In my case I had to check every single stage, as there was no SM available. That burnt resistor I am guessing as being 100 Ohms as an inrush current limiter.I also think there may be other damaged invisible things.
                          The fet in the picture is a Fairchild KA1M0680B fet.
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...e6bb8509e8.pdf

btw. Check and replace that relay too. If it failed, it will take out the inrush current limiter resistor.
                          Last edited by CapLeaker; 07-02-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

CapLeaker, I was messaged by a member on the miller forum that relay NT90RHAS24CB in the Hobart Variant Plasma and Welders is Obsolete and has been superseded by a Tyco Brand Because if it having issues / failing as well.

Looking at the data sheets..
                            TYCO T90S1D42-24

As Soon as I find my larger nozzles / solder wick or if kinco delivers my new ones which ever occurs first I will pull the 2X DSP 45-12A Diodes that are on the resistor circuit and check them.

Regardless, I am Going To Pull All the transistors to get a look under the plastic.

If All else fails = blog content right..
                            Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM.
                            My Personal Blog

Comment

I am thinking the problem started at the relay. Usually that is how it goes with these relays.

Comment

I Need to remove the Plastic Cover So Removing & Checking The Transistors..

Waiting On Larger Nozzles for My Desoldring Gun.. Wish I had a Hakko Stocking dealer here.. Seems Like Motion Industries has Purchased all the cool stores and nixed all the good stuff!

Found another Open Capacitor did not go catastrophic but it is open..

All the IGBT's Seemed to Check Out With a Multi Meter.

Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-03-2018, 06:30 PM.
                                My Personal Blog

Comment

hmm... what other resistor? I see 2 caps, a relay, another cap, the 100 Ohm resistor and a stack of IGBT's. That white thing in between the relay and the old resistor is a cap and should measure open. I think it was right next to the relay on the board.
                                  Last edited by CapLeaker; 07-03-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Sorry Typo Cap.. But the Cap When Checked Has No value.. Like it is Not Even There Open Leads On the DMM..
                                    Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-03-2018, 06:47 PM.
                                    My Personal Blog

Comment

How about a picture of the board now, with the components removed, so we can look at how the traces go?

Comment

That Lacquer type Coating on these board becomes a mess.

The 2 Transistors I Marked 10 and 11 are DSP45-12A Rectifiers That is Were The Traces Go Will Know More When I Remove them all and get that plastic Cover Off.

Should have my 1.3mm and 1.6mm Nozzles By Friday. Found the solder wick but with that coating PITA..

Last edited by KG7AMV; 07-03-2018, 07:10 PM.
                                        My Personal Blog

Comment

Working...
                                        X