Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG XA14 (XA14-D0U) repair, no sound (fixed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG XA14 (XA14-D0U) repair, no sound (fixed)

This is a very similar case to:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54659

Very cheap set, low quality everywhere. No sound in any source. Based on experience from previous cases of this brand and series, I check for shorted electrolythic caps first (something I would never do to start with!). I find 2 (two!!): C117 (220uF/16V) and C243 (470uF/16V). First one shorted 12V line. The 2nd one, I don’t know and I don’t care. Replaced them and it sounds OK.

Then I had CD playing problems, but that’s another story (low quality door lock switch, dirty lens, broken disc support... very, very crappy).

Beware if you check service manual: C117 in board is C2 in schematic!

Re: LG XA14 (XA14-D0U) repair, no sound (fixed)

Thanks for this useful information. I am sure it would be of help to someone in the future.

Comment

What brand and series were the capacitors that got shorted?
      I'm curious, so I can keep them on my "replace-on-sight" list.

Comment

Brand is "SW" inside an ellipse. Series is "CD110".

But, who cares? I mean, I don't expect to see these caps again in other sets than this 2009/2010 LG series (XA... XB... XC...), ever. It's a chinese "brand" like any other that nobody remembers. I bet they swap name every year, because they don't look after making a name but just subsist.

This set had about 30 caps of same brand in Main board. I just replaced shorted ones. Should I replace them all? For 40€? Customer didn't ask me to transform a 70€ crap into a good HiFi. He just asked to listen to it again and I give 3 month repair warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Chungalin View Post

But, who cares? I mean, I don’t expect to see these caps again in other sets than this 2009/2010 LG series (XA... XB... XC...), ever. It’s a chinese "brand" like any other that nobody remembers.
          I know, but it's still good to have their name, in case anyone here happens to run into a unit with one of these.

Heh, with crap caps like that, even Samhwa and Sam Young would be a breath of fresh air.

I bet they swap name every year, because they don’t look after making a name but just subsist.
          No doubt they are pulling a GSC/Sacon/Evercon/Elcon trick here.

This set had about 30 caps of same brand in Main board. I just replaced shorted ones. Should I replace them all? For 40€? Customer didn’t ask me to transform a 70€ crap into a good HiFi. He just asked to listen to it again and I give 3 month repair warranty.
          Well, as long as you give warranty and inform the customer about the unit possibly coming back again with more shorted caps and they don't mind, it's a win-win.

But if the customer expects the unit to be fixed properly and once-and-for-all, then I would have no problem telling them what the full cost is upfront.

That said, where do you get your caps from to rack up 40€ for small caps? I spent about $25 on caps (including the shipping) on a JBL amplifier board, but on that one, I also needed to replace 4 very big input caps (a set of 50V/4700 uF and 63V/4700 uF) due to one of them being bad. So that's what really racked up the costs. If I didn't have to replace those, it would have been maybe $10 tops, including shipping.
          Last edited by momaka; 12-21-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

40€ is the total amount for the repair, what customer paid. That also included cleaning the CD pickup lens, gluing broken disc support and cleaning inside the CD door lock switch. A bargain. Replacement caps have no value, because they're salvaged. Considering it's a main board with no high temperature or high frequency stress, any cap will be 10 times better than original ones. If they were inside PSU I would have replaced them with Nippon, Nichicon or Rubycon.

Comment

Ah okay, that's pretty reasonable then.

Yeah, it's funny how 20+ year old salvaged caps from CRT TV boards hold up better than the cheap Chinese/Taiwanese junk we get nowadays.

I usually don't salvage caps when I do other people's repair, but I often do it for my own stuff (though if it's something valuable, I actually do buy caps for it).

Comment

But, who cares? I mean, I don't expect to see these caps again in other sets than this 2009/2010 LG series (XA... XB... XC...), ever.
                Wrong. Today I've found a shorted 470uF/25V same brand SW and CD110 series into a cheap 22" LED TV Blu:Sens model H308BB22A. Didn't power on, PSU 12V OK, I find that IC AMP TDA1517P is hot as hell and a nearby cap is very hot too. Cap is shorted.

Comment

Thanks for reporting back and... told it's possible for anyone would run into these caps again, so good to know their brand to know what to look out for when troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
                  X