Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repaired bad caps on mobo, but won't boot :(

Hey All,

I have an old EP-8rda that had bad caps on it. Replaced all the caps with Rubycons (of the same type as were replaced- 1500uF 6.3v and 2200uF 10v). The motherboard posts ok, and then goes to boot. It will begin the boot process, but then hang after it starts the boot process. For example, the OS gets stuck on the loading screen, or the CD spins up and then slows down and stops. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas or suggestions as to what might be wrong with the board or how to troubleshoot from here. I switched out RAM and CPUs to make sure that wasn't the issue, as well as HDDs and CD drives. Also, the LCD display on the mobo reads FF. Let me know if I can supply any other details.

Thanks

Re: Repaired bad caps on mobo, but won't boot

Did you check to make sure no capacitors are backwards?

Also, try testing it with a different PSU.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hilarious.... I changed out the PSU and the board wouldn't start at all. I switched the PSU back and it still wouldn't start. Also, the polarity is all good on the caps I replaced. Something in the board was slowly failing, and now it has completely failed. I don't think the PSU had anything to do with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by aladinsane View Post
        Hilarious.... I changed out the PSU and the board wouldn't start at all. I switched the PSU back and it still wouldn't start. Also, the polarity is all good on the caps I replaced. Something in the board was slowly failing, and now it has completely failed. I don't think the PSU had anything to do with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
        How good was your solder job? did you break any traces? The damn motherboard 'engineers' like to put traces VERY close to the terminals of the capacitors
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
          How good was your solder job? did you break any traces? The damn motherboard 'engineers' like to put traces VERY close to the terminals of the capacitors
          I probably broke some traces. My soldering is pretty bad...

Comment

Originally posted by aladinsane View Post
            I probably broke some traces. My soldering is pretty bad...
            Take a picture of the traces on the motherboard.

Comment

Working...
            X