Toshiba A200 random shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba A200 random shutdown

toshiba a200 shuts down randomly and can not resolve this problem, Can you help please?

Last edited by ahmtmrt; 11-22-2012, 04:37 PM.

Re: Toshiba A200 random shutdown

It shuts down completely or restarts?

Comment

You need to give more info. Is it after running for a while or right when you turn it on? If you're going to upload pics you should use the attachments option that way they are easier to view. What I always do if it's shutting down after it's been running a while is check for a wall of dust on the heatsink, it causes lots of laptops to overheat and shutdown....I've seen it so bad that a Celeron laptop idled at 77C and put a little load on it and it hit 100C in no time! Toshiba doesn't seem to have very well designed thermal solutions either, especially if they have an AMD processor, thankfully yours doesn't.

Comment

Also, does the fan rev before it shuts off?
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I recently looked at a laptop (Toshiba Satellite L500) that was randomly shutting down at first then always shutting down before completing startup.

As a previous respondent said, a dirty fan was the culprit.

The fan had a thick piece of gathered dust that had knitted together (like the stuff you remove from the filter in your tumble dryer). I assume it had been jamming the fan and causing the system to shut down to prevent overheating.

Either way, clearing the fan, cleared the problem.

Comment

I got the same issue in A205. It happened twice before to me. It just shut down during work but only when was working on battery. I think my issue is the weak battery (it just shot down when was 43% of energy left) but those are my thoughts , or some bad capacitor (it was dual capacitor replaced near CPU two years ago).
            Did not find any problems on mobo , got cooling system clear and neat , fresh thermal compound.
            Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

This is a VGA driver problem. If you use the "Windows update vga driver, VGA reads wrong temperatures from chip , so it spins the fan in lower speeds. Use the official VGA drivers. If the proplem continues... reball your VGA or replace it...

Comment

Years ago I had an A200 model that would randomly restart or restart when the main board was physically stressed.
                I found pin 1 (EN) on the VCORE regulator IC, ADP3208, going open circuit. I thought that this would have to be a one off occurrence.
                Lately I met another A200 with exactly the same fault.
                To confirm, I heated the IC while doing a DMM diode test on the lower input protection diode on pin 1. I got a fluctuating reading.

Comment

After all of these years, I'm still using some of my Satellite A200 laptops.
                  Mainly the models that use the Intel 965 chipset.
                  I have just repaired the 2nd one that was randomly shutting off.
                  I fixed both by replacing a temperature sensing IC near the CPU.
                  The IC is marked "G784".

Comment

offcourse it is NEC Tokin capacitor problem. u must replace it with 4x330 capacitors.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                      offcourse it is NEC Tokin capacitor problem. u must replace it with 4x330 capacitors.
                      The NEC Tokin capacitors have been replaced in all of my A200 laptops years ago. I mainly use ceramic caps.
                      I'm totally certain that the temperature sensor ICs were the cause of this recent shut off symptom, not restarting.
                      Last edited by rievax_60; 04-24-2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X