X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "amd" ddr2...

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    The G41 intel chipset supports 4gb ddr2 sticks
    4GB DDR2 dimms that are fully intel compatible are rare and expensive not worth it, last time I checked the price was over 100$ for a pair. Cheap China AMD DDR2 patent ones sell for less than 15$ a piece.

Even DDR3 support on s775 Intel Chipsets has some limitations, if you want to use DDR3 4GB Dimms these have to be 2Rx8 (2 Rank). Single Rank (1Rx8) 4GB DDR3 won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by zunasthegreat View Post
      4GB DDR2 dimms that are fully intel compatible are rare and expensive not worth it, last time I checked the price was over 100$ for a pair.
      I did bring that up...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I have plenty of 4g 6400 ddr2 intel good, and yes they are $100 a pair.

Comment

How about DDR3 - there also seems to be "AMD" DDR3... what gives?

Seems 8G DDR3 modules are "AMD"ized... same deal?

Comment

AMD Ram adds a extra setting in the presets, it's nothing special really,. You can program any ram to include it.

Comment

Hmm.... so no problems with intel chipsets?

ugh. hate trying to buy ram at minimal prices. Too much crap to avoid...

Need to get 4GB of DDR2 (in no more than 2 slots) and 8GB of DDR3 (in one slot), both intel boards... Too much sneaky and useless buffered RAM... unless if there was a way to disable it...

Comment

When I had 8 GB of DDR2, I just mixed the sticks and ran them at 333 Mhz (666/667) with the RAM voltage at 1.90V.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Hmm...tempting... a pair of DDR3 "Apple" Crucial SODIMMs... I wonder if they will work in an HP...

Then I need to sell off the other memory I have since I only have two slots...

Comment

What the H*LL

is there such thing as 2GB "AMD" DDR2's?

GRR.

I got a 4 set of 2G DDR2's and they don't play well, and it doesn't matter which MB I try:
                    4x old 1G = 4G (2 sets of 2 matching 1G modules)
                    2x old 2G = 4G (incidentally, one is ECC PC2-6400, other is plain PC2-5300)
                    2x old 2G + 2x old 1G = 6G

4x new 2G = Beep Beep Beep
                    2x 2 of the new 2G = 4G ("works set")
                    2x other 2 of the new 2G = Beep Beep Beep ("doesn't seem to work set")
                    2x new 2G (that works) + 2x old 2G = Dead machine
                    2x new 2G (that works) + 2x old 1G = 6G
                    2x new 2G (that doesn't seem to work) + 2x old 1G = Beep Beep Beep

grumble...

Comment

You don't say what brand and what speeds the sticks are so I can't help you, just saying you have 4 sticks of 2g ddr2 is like saying I have 4 20" tires. Good luck.

Comment

Well, I really didn't really need to know if the specific ones I had were problematic, just whether the existence of such was sufficient.

They are Hynix PC2-5300's if it's necessary to know the existence that these or some other brand are problematic.

--

Incidentally the two that "work" seem to pass memtest86 and was able to allow the computer to compile clang and firefox, so at least those look ok. The other two are still no show.
                        Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-07-2021, 09:23 AM.

Comment

There's been incompatibilities between some memory and motherboard combos for as long as I can remember. Knowing specific details like the make and model number will confirm the existence of such incompatibilities.

Comment

Well, of the four seemingly identical modules, I found three motherboards that have similar behavior with these two modules that don't behave properly. Bunk modules I think (but I don't have any AMD DDR2 boards).

So much for fleabaying memory modules...

One of the modules seems to have a stuck at fault. Other one, I don't know yet...

Comment

OK found the exact problem with the stuck fault: one of the data lines is broken
                              Ugh.

However... this may be somewhat fortunate - I have a dead 512M DDR2 DIMM that I can steal parts from Though I wonder if there's a way I could test my theory out with out destroying either...

Now the other one will be tougher to rootcause as I don't have memtest86+ data.
                              ---
                              So nope, I don't think these are "AMD only" DIMMs, just faulty DIMMs I think. But the question remains: Are there any "AMD" 2GB DIMMs out there?

But ... all right! I was able to coax the computer to boot with the other faulty DIMM and get memtest86 running.

WOAH, major mess. Looks like it's either writing things to the wrong to the wrong address or doesn't have write timing down right. Hmm. Will need to muck with timings to see if it affects anything, too many bit errors to discern any patterns..
                              Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-08-2021, 02:41 AM.

Comment

AHA! Sigh, found a problem with the board: a broken track on the module, no wonder why changing timing did not help.

Now that bad 512M PC3200...whether it should be an organ donor...

Comment

My understanding of this issue, and it applies to DDR2 qnd DDR3 is that AMD RAM is newer high density x128 chips, and Intel, or Dell RAM (they stuck with it longer than others I believe) is low density x64 RAM.
                                  Yes 4GB DDR2 x64 chips are rare and expensive. Partly because FBDIMMS filled that size slot back in the day, so there are very few old ones out there.
                                  Low density DDR3 used to be fairly easy to find, but now even the same part number replacements can be high density chips.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    There's been incompatibilities between some memory and motherboard combos for as long as I can remember.
                                    yeah, i remember during the p4 and athlon xp/64 era, gigabyte boards didnt like corsair ram.

when i built my first diy pc, i didnt know this but luckily i bought a gigabyte board with kingston ram. saved by serendipity! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                      Hmm...tempting... a pair of DDR3 "Apple" Crucial SODIMMs... I wonder if they will work in an HP...

Then I need to sell off the other memory I have since I only have two slots...
                                      Believe it or not, that pair will definitely work in an HP. In act, they could work pretty well...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        How about DDR3 - there also seems to be "AMD" DDR3... what gives?

Seems 8G DDR3 modules are "AMD"ized... same deal?
                                        You mean those cheap, unknown brand "AMD Only" DDR3 rams from China?

I read that they are manufactured by using ECC/REG memory ICs from recycled server sticks. Apparently it's impossible to make them fully compatible with Intel chipsets so there we have "8GB DDR3 Only compatible with AMD".

Comment

Crucial.com lists the density of their modules at their website. If you go there and they list only X64 for your system then AMD RAM won't work. If they list X128 modules then it should be OK.But X128 modules can be much cheaper. Often it takes 1/2 as many X128 chips to make a module (single sided) as x64 (double sided).
                                          On Optiplex 360 builds with 2 DDR2 RAM slots it's cheaper to get an Opti 380 MB and 2x4GB x64 DDR3 modules than to try for 2x4GB DDR2 x64. About the only Intel chipset I know that can use 4x4GB x64 DDR2 are the X38 systems. In Dell that's the T3400 workstation and the XPS 420.I'll bump those up to 12GB so I can use modern 6GB GPUs, but it ain't cheap.
                                          Last edited by Retrorockit; 04-20-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X